Having a go with fridges. Any advice?

I started my career on reefers and wouldn’t mind giving it a go again if I resume my driving career. But there aren’t many outfits based close to where I live (near the stockyard)

fredthered:
Anyone know of any decent reefer outfits taking on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell us where you are that’ll help .

bald bloke:

fredthered:

Tramping so anywhere for the right deal as they say! Mon - Fri pref but I’m flexible. Looking for peace & quiet really as I don’t want or need to be micro managed! Or is this a big ask these days?

I know Freshlinc are looking but probably no good if you want tramping, what about Turners or is that a daft idea !!

bald bloke:
I know Freshlinc are looking but probably no good if you want tramping, what about Turners or is that a daft idea !!

Freshlinc…

Are always looking. They do nights away but not all week. But if you asked you might get a week out. The kit is good and the money is average (crap) for the area.

Turners are also looking but, I wouldn’t go near them and their mountains of paperwork for one pallet. Most of the fleet are sheds. English is the second language spoken on site at Bicker.

All good advice, including a link to my body which is always nice to see.

Basically just do as your employer wants. I always run temp by them as someone the customer it is going to will want it set at a different temp to sender (eg at HSF we used to carry some bacon at -5c as it sliced easier that way). Also don’t panic too much about diesel, a big fudge tank will last a couple of weeks on stop/start but if desperate just put a drop of white in of no red available). Also its your job to keep it clean inside, so many drivers don’t get this and will try and reload a trailer with blood all over the floor with chocolate! All you need for most cleaning is 5 litres of water, a drop of Zoflora and a floor squeegee, though if you have been carrying hanging you’ll likely need a proper pressure washer.

switchlogic:
All good advice, including a link to my body which is always nice to see.

Basically just do as your employer wants. I always run temp by them as someone the customer it is going to will want it set at a different temp to sender (eg at HSF we used to carry some bacon at -5c as it sliced easier that way). Also don’t panic too much about diesel, a big fudge tank will last a couple of weeks on stop/start but if desperate just put a drop of white in of no red available). Also its your job to keep it clean inside, so many drivers don’t get this and will try and reload a trailer with blood all over the floor with chocolate! All you need for most cleaning is 5 litres of water, a drop of Zoflora and a floor squeegee, though if you have been carrying hanging you’ll likely need a proper pressure washer.

What’s a fudge tank Luke? My fridge hasn’t got one of them! [emoji1]

fredthered:

bald bloke:

fredthered:

Tramping so anywhere for the right deal as they say! Mon - Fri pref but I’m flexible. Looking for peace & quiet really as I don’t want or need to be micro managed! Or is this a big ask these days?

Conway Bailey always seem to be looking, Shetland Haulage too, There’s one or two CO’s around Cross Hands too.

Ask the boss to invest in a rear door trailer lock, such as Bulldog, if you are empty, no need to open the rear doors , while overnight, if the load robbers want to open the door, let them crack on with it.

Thanks for all the replies

If you have a frozen load on that requires you tip outside rather then on a bay the floor will become a ice rink, be careful when using a pallet truck in this situation. Raising the trailer suspension will help reduce the risk of a pallet sliding of the back.

the maoster:

fredthered:

bald bloke:

fredthered:

Conway Bailey always seem to be looking, Shetland Haulage too, There’s one or two CO’s around Cross Hands too.

Culina often looking but doubt it’ll be tramping just every other night out .

bald bloke:

the maoster:

fredthered:

bald bloke:

fredthered:

Culina often looking but doubt it’ll be tramping just every other night out .

Thx for that. Usual suspects it seems. [emoji106]

fredthered:

Not sure where you live or are willing to travel to but most of the Evesham fridge firms are taking on trampers atm - Spiers and Hartwell / IDS / Bannister / Ferry fast also AIM Logistics have a permanent advert on every website but make of that what you will .

Not sure if that helps at all , but good luck anyway

Fish stinks as well so needs a good clean. Make very sure you’re given the correct temperature for Bananas. The front 2 pallets of soft fruit need to be below the level of the chiller outlet or they will freeze.

cav551:
Make very sure you’re given the correct temperature for Bananas.

13 degrees I believe…

ORC:

cav551:
Make very sure you’re given the correct temperature for Bananas.

13 degrees I believe…

Correct. On constant too.

cav551:
Fish stinks as well so needs a good clean.

Garlic…

Stinks too. Dip a rag into some cherry, put it on a steel plate then let it burn. Don’t put it directly onto the floor, it will burn a hole right through and drop out onto to the lay-by/truckstop/whorehouse/MSA you’re parked at.

yes someone actually did it and no it wasnt me

bald bloke:

Freshlinc will tramp if you want, be advantageous to speak polski, fridges are all tracked, units have cameras inside and out, plus side easy work, collect from pack houses, take to rdc, or go to Spalding,spade lane(kent) or evesham.

If you go to alconbury you can go on containers, bananas to Asia.

yourhavingalarf:
Garlic…

Stinks too. Dip a rag into some cherry, put it on a steel plate then let it burn. Don’t put it directly onto the floor, it will burn a hole right through and drop out onto to the lay-by/truckstop/whorehouse/MSA you’re parked at…

Some cherry what? do you mean crushed cherry? serious question as it sounds a good tip if not a tad dangerous