Finally passed Cat C Test....after 3rd attempt

Well I have finally passed my category C test on friday after the 3rd attempt, was beginning to think I would never make it.

First of all I want to say a huge thank you to Tony Knight at Crawley LGV for helping me pass my test and sticking with me through all 3 attempts - he’s an excellent instructor and if you are anywhere near Crawley then I would highly recommend him to anyone thinking of training for their LGV licence. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Anyway here is a short list of my failures when doing the tests:

The first test I was so nervous, as is generally always the case with most people. Waiting in the reception for the examiner, all I wanted to do was get it over and done with. So anyway the examiner comes out, show him my licence and off we go to do the vehicle checks and this is where the nerves start to get worse - mind goes blank when he starts asking the questions but I manage to pull it together and answer them all. We then get in the cab and drive on to the reversing ground, the only problem is that I have completely panicked and not listened to what my instructor told me.

So there I am in blind panic, the examiner gets out after explaining the reversing exercise and off I go to drive up to the cones and start my reversing - only problem is I’m not where I should be, I’m more over to the right side than the left and everything I learnt has gone right out the window and I’m pooping bricks trying to think of what to do.

So get left hand down as I’m pulling back and run straight in to cone B!!! Sitting their with my head in my hands, feeling the worst ever (I hadn’t been driving for more than 30 seconds in to the test and I had already failed :blush: , hadn’t even managed to leave the yard) was a real struggle to accept that after all that training I had fallen at the first hurdle. I was kicking myself all over.

The examiner then says to back it in to the bay which I was grateful for as it gave me a bit more experience of the exercise. So off I go reversing it, still shell-shocked from my error, I don’t start turning in time and the nearside rear goes over the yellow line - what an almighty cockup :blush: . This was a real struggle to deal with, continually making errors. All that I could think of was that I just wanted to get out of the cab and go home!!

Still, I finally get it in to the bay without hitting the barrier (a small blessing at least!!) :smiley: :open_mouth: and the examiner asks me if I want to continue or throw in the towel. Earlier all I wanted to do was go home, but after he asked me that I decided to do the test and get some experience of the driving test so I was grateful for the opportunity. Although I had failed, going out on the test was the best thing I could have done as I gained some valuable insight in to driving under test conditions and more experience for my next test.

Still, I made 15 minor faults and 3 serious faults :frowning: .

Second test comes round and I had spent the time researching and studying the reversing exercise posted on here and asking everyone if they had any hints or tips (so thanks to all those that contributed) but I’ve still stigmatised the reversing exercise in my mind after messing it up so badly the first time - least to say I managed it all in one go without taking any shunts so was well happy!!

Out on the driving test I’m feeling more confident but not letting it get to me but still end up making a couple of silly mistakes when I should have known better.

Get back and I’ve got 14 minor faults and 2 serious faults - an improvement on my last effort but still making loads of errors :frowning: .

Get home and start comparing my driving test reports, wondering if driving is really for me as I’m making so many mistakes but in fairness it is mostly down down to test nerves as all my practice lessons have been great.

Get my third test appointment and am up at 6am as the nerves are starting to set in and wanting to do anything other than do my test.
Get to the centre and start reversing exercise, my left leg is shuddering all over the place but manage to avoid cone B and get it back in to the bay with 1 shunt. Out on the test drive, get back and told I was successful, and with only 8 minor faults - I could not stop smiling!!!

:smiley: :slight_smile: :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :slight_smile: :laughing:

So if anyone ever finds themselves falling at the first hurdle (which I doubt) then try and stay positive and if you’re up to it, go out and do the driving test, it gives you valuable experience for the future. Oh and also never give up!!

CONGRATULATIONS Want2Truck on passing your C test, your perseverance paid off -well done, any work in mind yet :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hey bonnie lass thank you :smiley: :smiley: I have been celebrating since friday, can’t believe I finally made it. I have been looking around but I’ve still got my cpc mod 4 to do and then I will be going round the agencies and signing up with them to do any sort of driving work.

Want2Truck:
Well I have finally passed my category C test on friday …

Hi Want2Truck,

:grimacing: CONGRATULATIONS on passing your “C” test :smiley:
:smiley: :smiley: :grimacing: :smiley: :smiley: :grimacing: :smiley: :smiley:

Want2Truck:
So if anyone ever finds themselves falling at the first hurdle (which I doubt) then try and stay positive and if you’re up to it, go out and do the driving test, it gives you valuable experience for the future. Oh and also never give up!!

You’d be surprised how many fail at least one test, either due to nerves, or for doing something daft… I did!! :blush: :blush:

My fail wasn’t nerves… I knew I needed a shunt, I thought I could rescue the situation, but a cone got in the way!!
I carried on and did the rest of the test for exactly the same reason as you did. :wink:
I failed, and it was daft of me, so I have no excuses. :blush: :blush:

Hey dieseldave

Thanks for that, and many thanks for the smart flashy bits too :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I bet youll be grinning all week like a cheshire cat - dont blame you either :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , let us know how you get on with mod 4 & any work leads (agencies or others) good luck :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

He he yeah bonnie lass I am and I will be :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Will do and thank you :smiley: :slight_smile: :smiley:

Well done Want2Truck,good to see your perseverance paid off,good for you. :wink:

Well done fella, All the best ones pass third time!! :sunglasses:

Well done on the pass it dont mater what the minors were as they wont be on your licence

Now for the next 1

Well Done Want2Truck

Somemore flashies for you

and good luck with all the other tests :smiley:

Jen x

I find it very disappointing that these examiners don’t give you a second chance so early in the test,on the manoeuvring area.Is it such a big deal that you nudge a cone or have positioned your self incorrectly ? All they need to do is ask if you’d like to try the manoeuvre again to take nerves into account.

Well done!

I had a call from someone calling on behalf of Mr Knight this morning, unfortunately he passed away at some point on the weekend :cry:

Means i’ll have to find somewhere else to train, im gutted as he seemed a really decent guy and we got on really well.

What, Tony passed on?! jesus! thats sobering. He was a ■■■■ good bloke.

He might have done some silly things in his time (check his youtube channel!) but was a very well respected instructor and driver. Only met him probably 5 or so times but still we got on well.