CAT C test - my experience

Ok Ill let it all out I am shortly back from Peter’s training facility and I’ve just finished my course with a test which I FAILED :unamused:

It happens and I am not the first and not the last one but let me explain what I did. I feel sorry for my trainer because he straight away knew I failed as he saw me reversing and touching the pole! I cocked up my reverse exercise and I am absolutely devastated about that. It was the easiest bit I believe and had no problem at all reversing from the very beginning. For some reason after the reverse I thought it is not all gone as the examiner asked me to go out in the town and didn’t mention anything about reverse. I had an hour driver and came back pretty nervous to the yard to hear that despite a few minors (3) I did not pass. I knew straight away it was the reverse. Well retest is some month and half later together with my cpc module 4 booked. Another few hundred quid out my pocket. I must have been overconfident and took it too quick and tight. This is a word of warning if you feel extremely confident at something be prepare to be surprised how difficult you may find it when nerves are kicking in. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

This is going to be expensive thing and because of that class 1 training will have to postponed for a longer while…

Sorry to hear about your failed test Balcov - you must have been gutted. Seems a bit mean to take you out after failing the reversing test as it raises your hopes only to be dashed at the end. Got my Cat C test tomorrow and I reckon its 50/50 on whether I pass. Done all the prep but just knowing that one simple mistake can scupper you is a bit sobering… :confused:

Ah ■■■■ shame.
Chin up and it sounds like you really have a handle on what you need to do next time.
Of course everyone would love that first time pass - but sometimes I guess it’s just not meant to be for whatever reason.

Sure there are plenty of well experienced drivers on here who will be able to make some more pertinent points - but I would say you should be congratulated on getting on with the rest of the drive - from what I can gather, 3 minors after that start is pretty good going.
I guess if you didn’t know that the examiner would conduct the whole test irrespective as to whether you accrued a major at the very start or not, seems a little sadistic - but hey you’ve paid for a whole test and, ultimately, it and is all good experience!

Guess the morale for anyone in the learning phase is not to ‘under-practice’ anything and always give every section of the test full respect.

Hope you nail it next time,
Jon

Sorry to hear that.
But at least you know where you went wrong and can get more practice on it before your next test.
Think of it as a mock test.

Zeethron:
Sorry to hear about your failed test Balcov - you must have been gutted. Seems a bit mean to take you out after failing the reversing test as it raises your hopes only to be dashed at the end. Got my Cat C test tomorrow and I reckon its 50/50 on whether I pass. Done all the prep but just knowing that one simple mistake can scupper you is a bit sobering… :confused:

Good luck tomorrow!
I think Rog has said it best in that most people suffer 2 ‘dips’ in their performance in the run up to the test.
Bet you are just in that 2nd phase where the mind is a bit overloaded - get a good night’s kip, get into the swing tomorrow and then chest out when the time comes. I believe at that point it is almost better to stop thinking about the ‘technicalities of driving’ and just go ‘drive’. The result will be what it will be, so try and ‘enjoy’ the situation as much as you possibly can.

Jon

Sorry to hear that.

On the bright side of things you have passed the whole driving test with only 3 minors; that’s brilliant.

All the best next time though

Gutted to hear it didn’t work for you today. Sadly, this happens - it’s impossible for everyone to pass first time (much as we wish that was the case!)

I don’t know the cause of the problem but sometimes it can be because you’ve lined it up at A (the top) cones central between them instead of to the left as you will have done during practice.

Other causes can be turning left very slowly or late.

You will be offered an earlier restest date if one comes up; in the meantime, don’t beat yourself up. 3 minors is more than presentable.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

As said you won’t make that mistake again

you’ll be fine

Deffo at test pass standard - you just made an little silly error - possibly down to brain ■■■■

I wouldn’t have hurt this much if it wasn’t the reverse. I almost saved it but when turning it round the cone but the underarm bars went tighter and they scratched the tall cone making it lean to the outside, it didn’t drop tho. Once I cleared it I manage to slide the wagon in without touching any more cones… Gutted. It should be voted most silly fail ever.

Nerves are nightmare it’s not as easy as it looks is it I failed first time I herd that when you go back they test you on whAt you failed on last time funilly enough in my second shot it was the same examiner same route and the one situation I failed on I came face to face with an arctic so I stoped put hand brake on and let him do the work the examiner liked that.
On my reverse I touched the red and white barrier I got out and thought shizzz I’ve touched the back of the truck with the barrier I thougt I failed but apparently it was only a fail if the barrier is pushed back so got away with it the other one was I squezzed through two lorries but got through he mentioned it at the end but got through

I think sometimes it depends what mood their in dress as smart as comfy as you can I wor tracky bottoms first second time I wor polo and jeans just looked a bit more presentable

It sounds like you will be fine and pass next go these tests are like minefields trainer said most of the time it’s 60% bad luck ie cyclist or lots of things happening raining time of day too you don’t want your test at school pick up drop off times or rush hour

Good luck wishing you the best on your next test

Don’t beat yourself up pal, I failed my cat C twice, and the first one was because of the reverse. I completely lost my head on it, and ended up full on reversing into a cone (one with the pole) and knocked it over. I basically hadn’t spent enough time training on the reverse, and as a result, I failed. Decided to go with a different trainer in the end and breezed through it.

You’ll get it next time, you know yourself the drive was spot on, so you just need to master that reverse and you’ll be sorted.