Finally - C training booked

At long last the big day approaches - 21st January to be precise.

Test on the 25th.

Long wait I know, but there is a shortage of trainers in my area. Still, something to sustain me through the long winter months.

Will be in a MAN. Any advice on this - especially the gearbox? Is it a range change? Splitter? Slapper? At this time, have no idea what the exact model or what its horsepower rating is. Will this make a big difference? What are its handling characteristics? Would like a leg up before my training starts!

Jumping ahead I know, but C+E will be in a DAF artic. Once again no idea of the particular model, but I can’t imagine it being the same as a MAN. Because of the aforementioned trainer shortage, I’ll probably have to organise it as soon as I pass my C test.

Hi Superlez your up late mate :smiley:

I bet your excited now mate. Hope it comes round fast for you. Thats it now your on your way. Good luck :smiley: Nige

Good luck with it all.

I wouldn’t worry too much about what the truck is, what gearbox it has etc etc Without experiencing using it, it won’t prepare you much and might throw you if it’s infact different to what you’ve been expecting all along.

If you really want to know something beforehand about the different types of gearbox then there is a thread somewhere here giving a brief explanation of each one, at least then nothing they throw at you will be completely alien.

Best thing you can do is to improve your own general driving observations so that you a better driver before you start. Good forward planning and being pro-active instead of re-active is essential (think your way through situations before going into them)
Read the highway code again & again. Read the on-test safety questions that are on the PRE LGV TRAINING TIPS post - print them out and study during coffee breaks - preactice what you can on your car - the rear hatch is your rear cargo door etc.

Best of luck when the training finally starts. If it were me I’d be outta town looking for a shorter queue!

macplaxton:
Best of luck when the training finally starts. If it were me I’d be outta town looking for a shorter queue!

Thanks!

I’m in no real hurry - plenty time to study the Highway Code, etc!

Besides, do you think that I’ll be able to get it for less than £500 elsewhere?

MAN gearboxes?
the 18 tonner i used to drive at rank hovis was an LE220 with a straight six gearbox
the TGA cab is found on rigids but i dont know what gearbox it will have. i would imagine a 4 over 4 without a splitter
i doubt they would train with the autobox

ROG:
Best thing you can do is to improve your own general driving observations so that you a better driver before you start. Good forward planning and being pro-active instead of re-active is essential (think your way through situations before going into them)
Read the highway code again & again. Read the on-test safety questions that are on the PRE LGV TRAINING TIPS post - print them out and study during coffee breaks - preactice what you can on your car - the rear hatch is your rear cargo door etc.

Find that the first paragraph applies even when it comes to driving vans. This has also helped me get into the habit of using the side mirrors more often.

Does anyone really slip up on the safety questions?

SuperLez:
Does anyone really slip up on the safety questions?

Had one who got a minor - cannot remember on what question though.

Kiowan:
Good luck with it all.

I wouldn’t worry too much about what the truck is, what gearbox it has etc etc Without experiencing using it, it won’t prepare you much and might throw you if it’s infact different to what you’ve been expecting all along.

If you really want to know something beforehand about the different types of gearbox then there is a thread somewhere here giving a brief explanation of each one, at least then nothing they throw at you will be completely alien.

Of course, I would expect my instructor to tell me how to operate the gearbox, but of course if it’s a bigger engine, you won’t have to use it so often! If it is the type of thing used to pull a drag, then so much the better!

Then again, as you correctly say, until I see it and drive it…

scanny77:
MAN gearboxes?
the 18 tonner i used to drive at rank hovis was an LE220 with a straight six gearbox
the TGA cab is found on rigids but i dont know what gearbox it will have. i would imagine a 4 over 4 without a splitter

No autobox - if splitter fitted then prob wont use it as lorry is empty - likely to be range change or slap box

scanny77:
MAN gearboxes?

If the one I’ll be using is a straight 6 (he says very hopefully), then just pretend I never asked about the wagon!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

On a more serious note, as I’m going for C+E next year also, I won’t mind too much if it’s an auto box - but as you say, it probably won’t be.

SuperLez:

scanny77:
MAN gearboxes?

If the one I’ll be using is a straight 6 (he says very hopefully), then just pretend I never asked about the wagon!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

On a more serious note, as I’m going for C+E next year also, I won’t mind too much if it’s an auto box - but as you say, it probably won’t be.

If you pass the test using an auto then you can only drive autos for the class of licence that you passed in.

ROG:
If you pass the test using an auto then you can only drive autos for the class of licence that you passed in.

Can you not take a manual C+E test on an automatic C licence?

SuperLez:

ROG:

YES and it will automatically upgrade your C to manual

From a personal point of view, I cannot see why a C manual driver cannot pass the C+E test in an auto and have both as manual.

ROG:

SuperLez:

ROG:

YES and it will automatically upgrade your C to manual

From a personal point of view, I cannot see why a C manual driver cannot pass the C+E test in an auto and have both as manual.

Yet another one of those daft questions that just had to be asked as it had never came up before!

Surprised at the answer - but at the same time I’m disappointed that it doesn’t work the other way round!

Yet another one of those daft questions that just had to be asked as it had never came up before!

Maybe daft in your opinion but not in mine :slight_smile:

ROG:

Just something I’d never thought about till now.

It does seem strange that auto C can be upgraded to manual C+E and that you don’t get the manual C+E if you pass the auto version but have passed the manual C as both vehicles need to have 8 forward ratios. Who the hell makes up rules like this?

SuperLez:

ROG:

Just something I’d never thought about till now.

It does seem strange that auto C can be upgraded to manual C+E and that you don’t get the manual C+E if you pass the auto version but have passed the manual C as both vehicles need to have 8 forward ratios. Who the hell makes up rules like this?

The DfT/DSA

SuperLez:
Besides, do you think that I’ll be able to get it for less than £500 elsewhere?

Not really, but it depends on what you get for your £500.

Also, if you can speak to the big boss man of a training outfit, alway room for negotiation :wink: