fed up

been in my current job since jan and have had enough. :cry: ive knocked on a few companies doors and got nowhere. :frowning: im a class 2 driver with adr.im thinking of going down the agency route just wondered what all your advice would be.should i stick at it and keep checking the job centre web site or spew it.i realise it would be my decision just a bit wary of agencies as ive not worked for one before

I got into driving via the agency route. It would be a way to start to enable you to get some experience, and also then work out what you like doing.

Good Luck :smiley:

cheers for that saratoga the trouble is i have been driving now nearly 3 years so i have got over the dreaded 2 year bo*****s

When i started i went through every company in the book. No one would have me, didn’t have the experience. But with Driver Hire I enjoyed it, and after about 18m of doing what I was doing I was taken on with a permanent company. It oculd be better, but for the time it’s worth it.

There will be others along anyway, but it depends if you want to change carreers as well. Trucking is probably more interesting than stacking shelves at the supermarket and it is sooo demoralising :frowning:

Good luck though :wink:

im not interested in changing jobs as i love the driving etc its just the place where i am at the moment

any cahnce of doing your c+e with ths company your working for? i wa sin the same boat as you, stayed with them until i had done my c+e then after 6 months went to work for stobarts. had to pay them money back but i was paid monthly by them and stobarts paid me fortnightly so we got by. place i was working for treated the drivers like trash, see them recently advertising on the job centre plus for drivers to work a 5 in 7 shift for 18000 a year!

smiler:
i realise it would be my decision just a bit wary of agencies as ive not worked for one before

Phone all the agencies in your area and see how you feel about each one after talking to them. You can usually tell if they are OK or ■■■■■■■■ peddlers. Don’t assume that big and national equates to good, or bad. The best 2 agencies I’ve worked for have been single offices. The first I left after 5 years to relocate, the second, I’m currently with.

The best big agency was BRS, which then became the worst when taken over by Blue Arrow. I’ve looked at Pertemps and Driver Hire and found it hard to stop laughing and been ripped off by agencies with 2 or 3 local offices as well as the nationals - but only once, because the first time it happens I simply move on.

Like all jobs, agencies have pros and cons and suit some people but not others. Agencies will ‘introduce’ you to local companies and variety so you can choose what work and companies suit you. Agencies provide flexibility to work as and when wanted/needed.

Ignore what they say about holiday pay, sick pay etc. If you manage to get that consider it a bonus. Just look at the money and the work offered and compare to what you have now. Consider agencies as another employer and not just as a first rung on the ladder.