Thinking of quitting

Seriously considering quitting my job. Can’t stand the people. The attitudes. The constant been spoke. To like ■■■■. Just been called in for the second time today. Had to cancel my plans and then get an earful for making plans when I had been stood down in “their” time.

Only had my licence 14 months and wondered what you lot think of my chances of getting another job are?

What sort of job are you after and what are your qualifications ?

I started college last year on an electrician course, got a load of doom mongering on here saying no work you can’t get in to that bla bla bla and I got offered a trainee electrician position yesterday :sunglasses:
I am 29, hate the job and the way we have to accept being treated due to “it’s part of the job” etc so I decided to do something about it. I still have to drive on agency and I don’t work as much as I would like to but I am on the same pay as royal mail drivers now so 1-2 nights a week keeps me ticking over and in a few years when I am qualified I will have a much better quality of life not working the stupid hours I have done and wont have to put up being treated like scum day in day out.
The job is only ever going to get worse not better so if you have the brains to get out and achieve more in life then go for it :smiley:

Oh, and to answer what are your chances…they are slim. You have to get out there and stand out from the rest, I was told yesterday I stood out from the usual approaches they get as I know what it takes to get in this trade so I applied it to the electrical trade and eventually someone was impressed with the upfront approach.

Personally, I won’t take any ■■■■ and walk out at the drop of a hat without worrying about what’s next.

BUT, I’m now on agency getting a couple of days a week at Stobarts, enough to keep me ticking over but not what I’d like.

Upto you kid, but the fact you’ve come on here to ask seperates you from me, so I wouldn’t worry too much about it, just crack on and stop ya ■■■■■■■■ :smiling_imp:

Depends on your situation. If you can afford to throw in the job and possibly survive on JSA or the odd day of agency work then that’s fine, but if you have commitments then they have to come first and just bite your lip until another opportunity comes along. Quitting when you have nothing to go to or fall back on is madness in the current jobs market.

Why did you get called in? Remember its going to be difficult getting a new job if you dont come away with a decent refence.

My wtd hours are too high. So was called in this morning in case somebody knocked. Then sent home. Then got a all telling me I had to go back in. Now I have been sent home again.

I’ll be damned I I answer then phone again!

Why are your wtd hours to high? Not using break or poa as much as possible?

If your wtd is too high you’re supposed to be off un paid. Can’t see how they can call you in anyway. I would have told them to get stuffed on the phone, but I guess that’s why I have never done more than 18 months in a job :laughing:

thelorryist:
Seriously considering quitting my job. Can’t stand the people. The attitudes. The constant been spoke. To like [zb]. Just been called in for the second time today. Had to cancel my plans and then get an earful for making plans when I had been stood down in “their” time.

Only had my licence 14 months and wondered what you lot think of my chances of getting another job are?

are you sure youve not just had a couple of bad days ? are there times when you actually enjoy the job?,if not then this job isnt likely to be the one for you.
one thing i learned about this game is youve gotta stand up for yourself,otherwise nobheads will see your weakness and exploit it at every opertunity.dont take no crap from ■■■■■■■ office staff.
it would be a shame to jack when youre nearly at the magic 2 year marker....as you get more experienced the better jobs will come along.you should know in your heart if youve got what it takes to be a lorry driver…be honest with yourself,and im sure youll make the right decision
having said all that,if i`d used my brain a bit more when i was younger instead of ■■■■■■■ about…well who knows :neutral_face:

OVLOV JAY:
I would have told them to get stuffed on the phone, but I guess that’s why I have never done more than 18 months in a job :laughing:

Why doesn’t that surprise me.

I dont mind being treated like scum, I let them have their say etc. Then I just start laughing at them :laughing: Proper laughing, as it makes me really, really laugh.....When that fails, I start to sing opera style, usually an icecream advert(Cornetto).....Dont usually get much trouble after that…They usually can`t wait to be shot of you…Not had anyone challenge me yet :sunglasses:

Act like a mentalist…It`s fun, it works :laughing: :sunglasses:

That’s the best way, don’t bring yourself down to their level. Remember, without the idiots in this world we wouldn’t be superior.

thelorryist:
Seriously considering quitting my job. Can’t stand the people. The attitudes. The constant been spoke. To like [zb]. Just been called in for the second time today. Had to cancel my plans and then get an earful for making plans when I had been stood down in “their” time.

TBH what you’re ■■■■■■■■ about is normal in haulage. Everyone knows you don’t make plans unless you’re on a weekly rest period because up to then, anything can happen.

Sounds like haulage isn’t for you.

This may be a silly suggestion but have you tried talking to the transport manager, just you and him over a cuppa with no interruptions? It may be that their expectations of you are too high and visa versa, be honest with them, tell them how you feel and ask them to be honest with you. If your a new driver they have taken a risk by employing you and may have invested in you via training etc, they probably don’t want to loose you. You never know it may turn out to be a bit of a misunderstanding that has got a bit out of hand.
Talking is always better than throwing your toys out of the pram!

Silverback
3 Feathers Haulage

3 Feathers Haulage:
This may be a silly suggestion but have you tried talking to the transport manager, just you and him over a cuppa with no interruptions? It may be that their expectations of you are too high and visa versa, be honest with them, tell them how you feel and ask them to be honest with you. If your a new driver they have taken a risk by employing you and may have invested in you via training etc, they probably don’t want to loose you. You never know it may turn out to be a bit of a misunderstanding that has got a bit out of hand.
Talking is always better than throwing your toys out of the pram!

Silverback
3 Feathers Haulage

You can’t talk or reason with this knob. He has to black dog everything everyone has ever done. It’s all about him…

They haven’t invested in me or took a risk. I was driving for another firm before this and loved it. Money was crap though £14800 as a class 2 driver! Fair play they did pay for my licence.

Haulage is for me. It’s what I enjoy. Been treat like scum on the other hand… None of us signed up for that did we?

I wouldn’t mind by I’m one of three drivers stood down today… None of them had to drag their asses back to work! Yet I’m the one who doesn’t mind dropping plans and driving nights and weekends even when there isn’t any More money in it.

You would expect a little bit of respect in return for the effort. I might become one of the freeloading lazy gits who turn up late swan about do bare minimum never help anyone else and gets away with murder…

I might get on ok then…

thelorryist:
I wouldn’t mind by I’m one of three drivers stood down today… None of them had to drag their asses back to work! Yet I’m the one who doesn’t mind dropping plans and driving nights and weekends even when there isn’t any More money in it.

You would expect a little bit of respect in return for the effort. I might become one of the freeloading lazy gits who turn up late swan about do bare minimum never help anyone else and gets away with murder…

I might get on ok then…

Thats where you are going wrong, they say jump and you say how high.

Tell you how it happens in many places…

X is a brilliant bloke, no accidents, never late never had a day off sick, always delivers his loads correctly damage free and all paperwork fine, this goes on for years, then one day X drops a clanger and he’s the biggest load of carp they’ve ever seen.

Y is a useless ■■■■■■, fills in an accident form every week, toss up whether he turns up at all, looks like a tramp, throws more sickies than Meat Loaf, then one day when they fully expect him to balls up he does the job right, only one day mind.

Y is hailed as wonderful and X is discarded cos they assumed he was infallible and he failed once, don’t ask me why its like this but it is.

Don’t do nights and weekends for the same money, thats cobblers, blokes stood their ground and negotiated proper working practices and premium rates in times gone by, we’re slipping further back than the twenty five years i predicted some years ago, there has to be a line we don’t cross.

waddy640:

OVLOV JAY:
I would have told them to get stuffed on the phone, but I guess that’s why I have never done more than 18 months in a job :laughing:

Why doesn’t that surprise me.

Probably because you’ve worked out I’m not the type of person who sticks around to have the ■■■■ took out of him.