Fears of fuel shortage

Fears of fuel shortage as tanker drivers who deliver to 90% of petrol stations are balloted for strike action
Read more: dailymail.co.uk/news/article … z1nhsgqPrI

‘Drivers face growing job insecurity as a result of the contract merry-go-round and a beat-the-clock culture has flourished with drivers forced to meet ever shorter delivery deadlines.’

Guess that’s why my local morrisons but petrol up 2p today and people were queing up for over half an hour.

thelorryist:
Guess that’s why my local morrisons but petrol up 2p today and people were queing up for over half an hour.

Morrisons have go a 15p a litre off offer if you spend £60 in store which is probably boosting there sales.

You know what really ■■■■■■ me off about that report? The link to the fuel protests, dragging the rest of us in with the tanker drivers. :imp:

This has got bugger all to do with the fuel protests, it’s just the unions trying to manipulate the government by picking easy targets. I’d guess that a good 75% of the UK’s HGV drivers would give their eye teeth for a job on the tankers, even though it’s not quite what it used to be.

And before anyone says owt they’d have done the same to a Labour government.

G.G. I’ve got a mate on the petrol and when I spoke to him a couple of weeks ago he was seriously looking for something else to do. He’s been on there for 5 years and thought he’d landed on his feet when he got started but he’s had a bellyfull. Another mate who was working in the same place got the punt for being a silly boy and was very regretful at first but after a while said it wasn’t the worst thing to happen to him as he didn’t miss the pressure and on reflection didn’t think the money was anything special. I often see them tearing about cos that’s what they have to do to bump their money up. It’s not the super dooper money people think it is.

And I personally won’t be sacrificing any of my eye teeth… :wink:

44 Tonne Ton:
G.G. I’ve got a mate on the petrol and when I spoke to him a couple of weeks ago he was seriously looking for something else to do. He’s been on there for 5 years and thought he’d landed on his feet when he got started but he’s had a bellyfull. Another mate who was working in the same place got the punt for being a silly boy and was very regretful at first but after a while said it wasn’t the worst thing to happen to him as he didn’t miss the pressure and on reflection didn’t think the money was anything special. I often see them tearing about cos that’s what they have to do to bump their money up. It’s not the super dooper money people think it is.

And I personally won’t be sacrificing any of my eye teeth… :wink:

Interesting… but I still don’t think it’s worth striking over. It’s not as if you see tankers racing but they don’t bimble about at 40 like the trolleys do either; in fact three weeks of that (work to rule in effect) would probably have as much effect as a week on the picket lines, without compromising their pay.

I’m also aware that it ain’t the pot of gold it used to be; I’ve seen so many other parts of this business end up like that when the bean-counters get wise to the fact that other haulage companies are available. Curry’s was the classic one; I used to do a bit out of Newark for them on agency, night trunk to Ealing with the paperwork in a Transit or a puddle-jumper, before the days of computer modems. Their regular guys were about the highest paid in the country when they ran their own lorries, better than the car transporters, but they got greedy; enter BRS (National Carriers) and the drivers were told they either took the new rate or buggered off.

Is there such a thing as a FT or PAYE tanker driver?
Rates? Conditions?

All I can find is a rather closed-shop self-employed grandad dead-mans-shoes culture, without any actual mention of base earnings…

The only ADR work around here is toxic waste, which is odd considering the anticipated shortage of drivers in the fuel delivery field! :confused:

Anything the budget does to change fuel duty won’t make much difference long-term at the pumps, as after an initial markdown, prices will edge back up as the petrol firms build up their margin from taking up the taxation slack.

Only a drop in fuel price to below £1 a litre is going to make a real difference in the economy IMO. 2p a litre is having a ■■■■■ in the sea! :unamused:

The Answer?

Immigrant:
The Answer?

It’s a bus. What’s your point ?

Look ABOVE the bus! :unamused:

Oops.

Was reading it on my mobile and didn’t spot that.

Oops.

bigvern1:

you still need fuel to make the electricity.

It ain’t brought in by tanker is it Phil? :wink:

bigvern1:
It ain’t brought in by tanker is it Phil? :wink:

it might. it’s amazing what you can hide in a tanker.
oops, sorry, thinking of something else. :laughing: :laughing:

limeyphil:

bigvern1:

Neuclear/solar?

I don’t think there are many oil-burning power stations in Switzerland… It’s all hydro, nuclear, & gas.

East europe uses that brown coal doesn’t it? stinks like crap when burned, so it has to be either put through a scrubber, or burned underground like the German pavement heaters.

Winseer:
Is there such a thing as a FT or PAYE tanker driver?
Rates? Conditions?

All I can find is a rather closed-shop self-employed grandad dead-mans-shoes culture, without any actual mention of base earnings…

The only ADR work around here is toxic waste, which is odd considering the anticipated shortage of drivers in the fuel delivery field! :confused:

I personally know three people working or have worked on the fuel tankers. All started within the last 5 years. None had a grandfather on the job. None think it’s anywhere near brilliant and will admit they were seduced by the impression it was a very well paying job. One has left, one wants to leave when he can find a suitable alternative and the other one I haven’t seen for a few months so I’m not sure what he thinks. With O/T and that means chasing your arse with 30,000ltrs of petrol behind you which can’t be fun, the two I am in contact with were earning about £43k with plenty of O/T. I was told quite recently that O/T is a thing of the past at present and annual earnings are about £33k without it. That’s for shift work one week days one week nights 0400 or 1600 start time and weekend working. I can tell you fuel tanker drivers were earning at that level 20 years ago when it was a dead mans boots job. The fact that it is not that difficult to get on it now should tell you something.

limeyphil:

bigvern1:

Believe ESL cart the necessary about in walking floor trailers. Ain’t that right Ady/Mo?