Another fuel strike/shortage question

as i was only a van driver back in 2000 ( the last fuel strike/shortage) just a question of what impact it had on the truckstops i.e m1 junction 9 and 13 etc. did you find cars filling or trying to fill up at these kind of sites and holding truckers up? bleeding the pumps dry or was these the only sites kept topped up?

It is an unfortunate consequence of “shortage” stories, that Mr and Mrs Public will immediately
panic buy, thereby creating a shortage where there wasn’t one.

There have been plenty of fuel suppliers urging us to carry on buying at the same rate to prevent this
unnecessary surge in demand but the country is full of selfish and stupid people who don’t give a toss about
anyone else.
Any strike is at least a week away, so a full tank now is likely to be empty by the time it starts, if it does.

It’s not just fuel, I can remember when there was a failure of the sugar crop.
Sugar is hardly necessary to sustain a normal life,yet the shelves were stripped bare by people buying
more sugar in one go than they normally used in a year.

As far as I can remember, in the last shortage, it was virtually impossible to buy diesel on any main route and certainly
most of the local hauliers were having to fetch their vehicles home for fuel.
I think most filling stations around here did have diesel but limited their supplies to account customers.
If you went with a car, you could buy up to 5 gallons a time.

Regards,
Nick