Failing to stop!

Had a notification this morning that Devon and Cornwall are contemplating charging me with failing to stop after an accident and using a motor vehicle with an insecure load.
I can remember where I was at the time specified, according to the tacho it was 2 minutes before leaving a layby after taking a break, and as far as I can remember both the machines I set off with were both still on the truck at the delivery point :exclamation: (I think I may have noticed if they weren’t)
I was running under a movement order at 3.3 metres.
Also its taken 13 days from the alleged incident to the date on the letter for them to inform me.
It has the aroma of rodent :frowning:
An insurance scam maybe, anyone with similar experiences :question:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: I bet it was Pollocks trying to stitch you up :smiley: oops sorry wrong thread :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Smells of a rodent to me to Joe. Was a common scam some time back :wink:
Geezer notes reg and location of a nice looking company motor and sends letter to owner reporting damage from debris. This could be a more clever version by involving plod :unamused: :wink:

Jeez, that’s frightening. Do you have a delivery note signed to say the machines were delivered undamaged? Hopefully with that and the tachograph record it should be evidence that it didn’t happen - or at least more evidence than the other side has ■■

The one instance I’m aware of, the insurance company stated that they believed that the alleged incident didn’t take place but were going to ‘settle the claim’ as it was cheaper than going through the court process.

I can’t recall if it had an effect on the insurance premiums; I’ll try and find out more on Monday.

I would suggest you contact the force and ask them if there are independent witnesses (not who they are, just are there any), what exactly is alleged to have fallen from your vehicle, are the times given exact or approximate, what damage you are alleged to have caused to the other vehicle and was it rendered undriveable. dependent on the other answers, what steps did the other party take to make you aware that you had caused damage to their vehicle that you could reasonably been unaware of.

make your employer aware and the insurers and get your paperwork in order :wink:

snafu:
make your employer aware

He is! :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

i heard of one who got a Tiket for Speeding during he was in a cafe,Tacho showes.They sent him then a Pic of a CCTV Camera on a Junction with him in Can and Date plus Time on it.He also got then a extra Fine that Time on Tacho was wrong

Good luck Big Joe, sounds like they are trying to pull a fast one. :imp:

marcustandy:

snafu:
make your employer aware

He is! :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

She is :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: Ahem … ouch :blush: only joking dear :unamused:
The trouble and strife has finally got to the bottom of it today, can’t say to much yet as its my word against another civilian and whether it goes further is yet to be decided by the powers that be, but I’ll keep you posted.
Thanks for the good luck wishes :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Big Joe:
its my word against another civilian

Then I doubt the Police will do much so I guess it will be down to the insurers to argue it out.

Good luck either way and regards to the trouble for her excellent work. :smiley:

Case dropped :stuck_out_tongue:

Had the letter on weds.
The story goes that a car that had been following me down the A38 towards Plymouth, when a large wedge shaped piece of wood fell off the back of the trailer and flew into the front edge of the bonnet of a following car causing damage. The road had to be closed temporarily :open_mouth: to retrieve the offending timber, then a search was put out for my vehicle :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Anyway after a phone call to Devon and Cornwalls finest, my wife left them in no doubt that we were not going to be held responsible and would go to court to defend the allegations (I was looking at 3 points and a large fine on the say so of another civilian :exclamation: )
We were told to write a letter of explanation which we were to return with the NIP, and the case would be reviewed before any further action was taken, I 've cut and pasted the letter.

Devon and Cornwall Constabulary
Force Road Traffic Collision Unit.
Criminal Justice Division
Budshead Way
Crownhill
PLYMOUTH
PL6 5HT

17th September 2007

Your ref:*********

Incident at Chudleigh — Devon Expressway 31/08/2007 @10:40 involving
vehicle reg no:*******

Dear Sir/Madam.

I have complied with your request for information on the driver of vehicle involved in the above, and admit to being the person in charge at the time and date of the alleged incident.

After finally making contact with your department today, my wife was told a 2 feet length of chocking timber fell from the rear of my vehicle and struck a following car.
I can categorically say that nothing whatsoever fell from the rear of my vehicle, as I only use chains and ratchet straps to locate and secure my loads, and only use large blocks of wood when a machine needs supporting. These timbers are stored in a recess at the front of the trailer when not in use. The two machines I was carrying on this day were on wheels and did not require any supports, and were restrained with chains.
Despite the time lapse of over two weeks since the date, I can recall most of the journey as I was transporting an abnormal load under a movement order, and stopped several times during the journey to check the load and its restraints.
The only incident of note that occurred was after leaving a lay-by at 10:40, a large white, very new long wheelbase Transit type camper van that was overtaking me, swerved extremely close to my door mirrors whilst passing alongside the cab. I saw this van a few minutes later parked in a lay-by with its occupants outside peering underneath their vehicle. In fact this is the incident that I first thought this matter was related to, and that this vehicle had collided with the load when passing, as the machine and trailer was wider than the tractor unit.
I can only assume that when this vehicle was passing me, it hit the timber that was already on the carriage way, and sent it under my trailer, where it was struck by the trailer wheels and then it exited from underneath at the rear, and it went on to strike the vehicle travelling behind in the outside lane.
The laws of physics would follow that had an object fallen from my trailer, inertia would have caused it to continue travelling in the same forward direction as my vehicle until coming to rest, and not suddenly change direction and hit a following car.

I have enclosed a copy of my tacograph chart for the day and can explain where and why I stopped up to, and just after the alleged incident.

05:05. Left Middlewich and made for the M6 J18, proceeding onto the M5.
07:02. Pulled into Strensham Services to check the load and its restraints
07:04. Rejoined M5.
07:45. Pulled into Michealwood Services for a break and coffee and a quick walk around to check the load and restraints.
08:05. Rejoined M5.
08:46. Pulled into Sedgemoor Services for diesel, and again checked load and restraints.
09:02. Rejoined M5
10:00. Proceeded onto the A38.
10:06. After reaching the top of the long climb I pulled into the first layby just over the summit of the hill for my second break, along with another walk round to check the load and restraints.
10:40. I rejoined the A38, some three and a half miles before the location of the alleged incident.
11:05. I left the A38 at the A3121 junction where I met the recipient of the first machine, where all chains and straps were still intact.

Yours sincerely

I’ve been sent the name and address of the bloke making the claim, and the type and year of the car, a new Merc?, BMW?, Porker?.

No, a 1994 Toyota carolla :unamused: :unamused:

Good result.

I’m guessing the lump of wood was worth more than the car. :wink: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:
Good result.

I’m guessing the lump of wood was worth more than the car. :wink: :smiley:

Good news Big Joe. Sounds like the lump of wood was driving the car :unamused:

Nice one Big Joe. Hope they do them for wasting Police time. :smiling_imp:

Good one Joe.

This brings back some memories for me. I was somewhere in London sat on a roundabout which was controlled by traffic lights. So I’m actually on the roundabout waiting to get off it in about the third row of traffic. Traffic was entering the roundabout from my left and then the lights changed. The traffic in front of me pulled off and so did I. Next thing my mate goes ‘Look out!’ and a car coming through the red lights to my left hit my nearside bumper and disappeared off the roundabout, I presumed to pull up in a safe place just off it.

I did likewise and then proceeded to peg it (I was fitter back then :slight_smile: )back to said roundabout to exchange details.
But they were nowhere to be seen :unamused: There were some workmen working on the centre of the roundabout and they just shrugged their shoulders at me in a ‘That’s London for yer!’ way. The damage was just some light scuffing on my n/s bumper so I never thought to report it. Big mistake :bulb:

And that was it. Or so I thought. I continued my deliveries and by some chance actually came back on myself to arrive at the same roundabout later in the day. This time I entered the roundabout in the direction that the other party would have taken and noticed that the right hand traffic light red bulb was not working.

Anyway, I forgot about it until about two months later whereupon I received a letter from the police informing me that I had failed to stop at the scene of an accident :open_mouth: Cheeky Beggars :exclamation:

I did exactly the same as you, wrote off, explained I had a witness, my tacho for the day which amongst other things showed me stopped near to the scene for some considerable time and I mentioned the faulty traffic light.

Got a letter back soon afterwards saying ‘no further action blah blah’ but these days I carry a diary and everything and anything goes in it :open_mouth: in case it ever happens again. Be careful out there :bulb: