Police want to interview me

For failing to stop and give name and address following a road traffic collision. :frowning:

This is supposed to have happened a couple of weeks ago, but I remember that day very well and am absolutely certain that nothing at all happened. The only thing in my favour is that the alleged offence occurred about 20 minutes before my tacho shows that I was in the area. (Unless I was doing 85 kmh in the centre of Darlaston)

The only thing I can think is that someone has had some damage done to their car and blamed the first lorry they saw afterwards, or even damaged the car themselves and have looked for a scapegoat to blame.

Hopefully I´ll find out more when I make my statement.

Trouble is its a depressing thing to have hanging over you.

I would go and see a brief before I gave any kind of statement.

We had this happen, one of ours involved in a collision on the M25… on the day in question the truck was in Germany and it was very easy to prove this with shipping company records, MAUT etc

Get your tacho chart analyzed or downloaded, then take the result with you, it should help to prove that it would be impossible for you to have been in the area at the time of the alleged incident.

do you have delivery notes/driver sheet that could show where you were at the time of the accident, or may be customer who could prove you were wherever at a certain time? would be suprised it tacho alone would be enough…

good luck mate - let us know the outcome - a happy one i hope :smiley:

A till reciept from somewhere you may have stopped earlier may help to add strenght to your tacho reading :sunglasses:

Sounds like it’ll be your word against another civilian, so stick to your guns and deny that any collision took place, don’t even accept it may have happened without your knowledge, and armed with things like tachos, receipts or similar the filth won’t persue it, as they’ll be looking for you to sing so that they can put an easy to win case together.

Tell them you were locked in a box in Austria at the time, watching to see if any atoms would decay.

caz:
Tell them you were locked in a box in Austria at the time, watching to see if any atoms would decay.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Sorry,but that was funny.Seriously though,best of luck.Obviously, no damage to your vehicle-invite plod to inspect it for recent respray,repairs etc.

had this happen too me in central london , took tacho in too met police which showed i was stationary at time of alleged collision END OF :exclamation: :exclamation:

I had one similar where it was likely that I was involved with minor scrape with a Smart car. I knew nothing of it, said as much and never heard another thing about it.

I had one similar,no police involved, it was around 6pm on a dark rainy winters night,i was on for an agency for a supermarket in on the outskirts of Liverpool, was driving down a road and became aware of someone flashing their headlights behind me, so i stopped in a bus stop, then the car pulled up on the opposite side of the road, the woman was saying that i had just wiped out her car which was parked, sure enough the car had severe damage to it’s nearside all of it up to window height, i knew that i had not hit any thing, so i double checked the trailer underun bars ect for signs of scraping paint ect (new trl), gave her office number , when i got back i had to fill a report form in, the trailer was checked again in a lit bay, no marks ect, and none on the unit either, never heard anymore, she in my opinion was at it, apparently this sort of thing is quite common place these days, bloody scammers

schrodingers cat:
For failing to stop and give name and address following a road traffic collision. :frowning:

This is supposed to have happened a couple of weeks ago, but I remember that day very well and am absolutely certain that nothing at all happened. The only thing in my favour is that the alleged offence occurred about 20 minutes before my tacho shows that I was in the area. (Unless I was doing 85 kmh in the centre of Darlaston)

The only thing I can think is that someone has had some damage done to their car and blamed the first lorry they saw afterwards, or even damaged the car themselves and have looked for a scapegoat to blame.

Hopefully I´ll find out more when I make my statement.

Trouble is its a depressing thing to have hanging over you.

You will probably find there were 3 Asians in the car, all with corroborating stories and claiming whiplash injuries for their granny in Islamabad

Big Joe:
Sounds like it’ll be your word against another civilian, so stick to your guns and deny that any collision took place, don’t even accept it may have happened without your knowledge, and armed with things like tachos, receipts or similar the filth won’t persue it, as they’ll be looking for you to sing so that they can put an easy to win case together.

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

Schrod, this ^ post is so important. You need to tell them with 100% certainty that there was no such incident. As Joe says, the cops will twist it and start asking stupid questions to get you to say “well I don’t know, it could be” or “I’m not sure” etc, so they can do you and put a lid on the case. Do not fall for it and be crystal clear with them that there was no such incident and as far as you’re concerned that’s the end of it as there is no damage to the unit or trailer. :bulb:

I was driving through Runcorn one evening trying to get back to Widnes but the Runcorn Bridge was shut due to an accident So i turned around at Manor Park and was trying to get back to the M56.i was crawlin along with the traffic and was going past the entry sliproad coming from the estate.A stupid woman tried to bully her way onto the expressway and drove into my front wheel.She ripped her mirror off bashed in her door and couldnt get out.I jumped out called her a stupid cow and asked her why she drove into me.She turned the waterworks on and tried to blame me for it :open_mouth: Itook photos with my phone and thats when the plod turned up behind her.Ithourght here we go im gona get the blame and she,ll get a nice claim against me.But i was wrong :open_mouth: Mr Plod looked at her car and where she hit me,he told her she was in the wrong and told me to get on my way. :smiley: RESULT :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Has your truck got a tracker? Not long after our firm fitted them Northants Police contacted them about a “collision” in Northampton. On the time and date in question,tracker showed lorry travelling towards M5 Stroud and digital printout was given to plod as evidence plus tracker printout. No more was heard about that one…

Have a look at pepipoo.com which has many similar cases and much advice. I believe you are not under the slightest obligation to attend such an interview. Below (in double quotes) is a shameless cut and paste from one thread from above forum relating to “leaving the scene of an accident” and subsequently receiving a NIP (Notice of Intended Prosecution):-

N. B. This is not advice in any form, just someone else’s answer to another person’s problem

"DO NOT attend the Police Station for an ‘interview’ or even a friendly ‘chat’. Unless you are arrested you are under no obligation to sit through an interview and even then I would personally sit in silence unless asking questions directly of them and with no relevance to what they are accusing you off.

If there was an ‘accident’ and there is evidence of it and there is a case then they would simply summons you to court once the NIP was within their possession identifying the driver. You have absolutely NOTHING to gain from attending for ‘interview’ and they have EVERYTHING to gain from the ‘evidence’ that will be supplied during the interview.

Only a supernatural human being could attend a Police interview and not incriminate himself in some manner or another. You would need to eat, sleep and work with the English language in order to avoid a trap. DON’T GO.

If the Police had enough evidence and it was serious enough they would simply have turned up on your door step. If they do this then do not invite them in! You have nothing to hide but nothing to say unless in court with the considered facts laid out in front of you."

As stated above, legal advice should be sought should this go any further.

I once had a police visit slip put through my letterbox at a place I used to live at. It was addressed to me and said that they needed to speak to me about a road traffic collision at X Business Park at X at X time and X date. I had to look up where the place was but I remembered what I was doing at the time (turning round on a business park at 8pm, with no other vehicles in the vicinity so I was 100% sure I hadn’t hit anything. I just ignored it… A couple of weeks later they called again (when I was out) and left another slip saying the same thing. I ignored that one as well and never heard anything more about it.

The interesting part for me was that my licence wasn’t registered at the address I was living at and the company I was driving for at the time was via an agency, so even though the company (that the police would have contacted to get my details) had a copy of my licence, it still would’ve only lead them to my previous address (where nor fwding address was left). I can only assume that they tried there already and drew a blank so must’ve contacted the agency for my details whom of course had my current address for delivery of payslips etc.

Anyway, moral of the story is to either ignore it or, if you end up opening the door and the plod are stood there, be sure to have your story straight that you can clearly remember where you were at that time and date and no incident ever took place. THE END and GOOD DAY TO YOU, now go catch some real criminals… :angry:

Get legal advice ASAP

This happened to me in 1999 in Cardiff. Some to [zb] in a company car decided to try and say the same thing, that I had bashed his car. I was driving a double decker with 71 passengers and I attended the “interview” as I didnt know any better.

I asked for duty solicitor, and when he arrived he agreed with me, and told cops it was a waste of time, and to let insurance deal with it.

I hadnt actually hit the car at all, the main witness for me, a university lecturer as it happened, agreed with my side of the story.

After three hours being cooked in the cop shop I went home. Then I received three summons, failing to stop, careless driving and failing to report acident IIRC.

I declared not guilty and waited for court date. The day before the hearing CPS dropped case…due to lack of evidence for a succesful prosecution. [zb]s.

I wouldnt trust the police or CPS EVER again after that incident.

Please get legal advice NOW!

It might pay to phone the officer that sent you the request and state that you have your tacho proving you were nowhere near, and suggest that they come and arrest you right away if they think you were involved because you have no intention of putting yourself out for something so fake as this. If said officer asks you about it, say that there was no incident and that the person saying you hit them is full of nonsense. If he continues to ask, tell him to come and arrest you right away and hang up.
The other way, and probably better, is to write a letter stating that no incident occurred and that you could prove it in court, but that you are not going to waste your time proving your innocence. Also state that you are deeply saddened at being implicated by the police, and that you think it is shameful that they would act like this. After all, they would have charged you if they thought you were guilty.