Police want to interview me

First. Sorry for not getting back for so long, my computers been a bit sick (not downloading from pirate bay again) :blush: .

Second thanks for all the advice, never been in this situation before and was going to fold straight away as I feel I dont have anything to hide. Now I will talk to someone to get more advice.

The problem I have is that the first contact with my company was the insurance company, and I donā€™t want any claims against me. I know that insurance companies fold with no fight at all as they will recoup the money in bucket loads from my company anyway. So in insurance terms I will be automatically guilty as charged.

What my own self pride wants me to do is fight my innocence tooth and nail and then try to have them charged with making false allegations, but Iā€™ll have to wait and see what they have to say.

Chances are that you will never find out who made the allegations because the police will drop it really fast if you donā€™t cave in and say you may have been in a incident.
But hold on to the thought, and make sure the coppers know you want these people done for it.

schrodingers cat:
First. Sorry for not getting back for so long, my computers been a bit sick (not downloading from pirate bay again) :blush: .

Second thanks for all the advice, never been in this situation before and was going to fold straight away as I feel I dont have anything to hide. Now I will talk to someone to get more advice.

The problem I have is that the first contact with my company was the insurance company, and I donā€™t want any claims against me. I know that insurance companies fold with no fight at all as they will recoup the money in bucket loads from my company anyway. So in insurance terms I will be automatically guilty as charged.

What my own self pride wants me to do is fight my innocence tooth and nail and then try to have them charged with making false allegations, but Iā€™ll have to wait and see what they have to say.

If youā€™re certain of your position suggest the police interview the other party with a view to counter-charging themā€¦

bobthedog:
Chances are that you will never find out who made the allegations because the police will drop it really fast if you donā€™t cave in and say you may have been in a incident.
But hold on to the thought, and make sure the coppers know you want these people done for it.

Not true, I was given the full details of a driver who claimed I had been involved in an incident exactly the same as the OP.
I first got asked by the company I drive for if it was OK for them to pass my details on to the Met Ploice, I gave permission for this.

I recieved a letter from the Met just before the 6 month allowed period for action to be taken was up.
I was not happy with the details and the errors* in the letter, so I called the Met a few days laterā€¦I went into one and explained that as far as I was aware no incident had taken place and bollockd them for the errors in the letterā€¦She went away for a few moments, came back and said that I had been sent a letter that day, stating that the investigation had been closed and that I was not under any suspicion of anything, so all possible charges had been dropped and that was that. The letter duly arrived two days later and gave the other parties details.

*When I state ā€˜errorsā€™ in the letter, I am referring to spelling mistakes and the fact that they asked me to call the quoted number to call them onā€¦They had forgotten to include the number! Nor was there an address on the letter, I had to do an internet search and telephone calls to eventually speak with someoneā€¦They knew that I was not happy and I accused them of incompetenceā€¦Was the Met though :unamused:

Had a similar experience in 2002 when delivering to a bakery in a wee country town. Woman drove down the street and straight into my tailift while i was letting it down to the ground. All i heard was a bang and jumped off the lift onto the ground as her car crashed right into me.
Phoned Plod who raced around then got out of his car and said oh hello C+++++ne wots happened. It was his sister in law :frowning:
As her car was wrote off ( roof ripped off windows smashed etc etc ) he tried to blame me. Actually tried to book me for illegal parking then when i challenged him on that he pulled me to the side and said sure you are working for a big company and they can afford to pay for all this and if I agreed to this I would here no more about the matter and all I had to do was admit liability. But I said she hit me as I was parked stationary and had witnesses to prove such. The bakery staff seen the whole thing and backed me up.
He still tried to blame me until I phoned my Father ( retired traffic cop of 25 years ) and asked him to speak to him that the whole incident suddenly took a u turn and it was all forgotten about.
So dont take this crap about you hitting a car lying down. Even tho my father was a cop I now have no respsect for the lying ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  all your records and story straight and go in guns blazing :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

att:

bobthedog:

Not true, I was given the full details of a driver who claimed I had been involved in an incident exactly the same as the OP.

Yep me too, got accused by Devon and Cornwall of a block of wood used as a chock falling off my truck and landing on someones bonnet, he wanted Ā£500 for repair costs, total bullocks as I donā€™t use wooden chocks and I told them so, asked the cops to ask the driver what I was carrying but he couldnā€™t recall. so case dropped and Deveon and Cornwall supplied me with his name, address and car reg details, a 1984 Toyota Corolla :unamused: , and the cheeky bugger wanted Ā£500 costs :laughing:

But as far as im away the other party can be charged by the insurance comp for a fraudulent claim

You need to collate all your info that you have for that day including tacho call police & arrange to talk to them on your terms you can have the duty solicitor there which will cost you nowt then you should be able to prove that you were not involved in this incident at all

You could ask the CAB for advice as that is what they are there for

Hope it all goes well

Hmmm, maybe they just didnā€™t like me thenā€¦ I was always something of a thorn in the D&C forces sideā€¦ :laughing:

But I never actually got done for anything, either, despite being less than angelic. Itā€™s cons like this that really boil my wee wee. As att says, it usually takes right up till the end of the six month window for you to hear anything and then you start to question whether or not you may have missed something because it was so long ago.

Best answer is a simple ā€œno, nothing happened and they are full of nonsenseā€ because the chances are that is the case.

If your company insurers cave for the sake of it then there is nothing you can do. Once the police write to you stating there was a mistake, you can always get that sorted out. It shouldnā€™t affect you, anyway.

Cheers for all the advice, its nice to know Iā€™m not the only one to have this happen.

Strangely enough this has just happened, in the last week, to my mother-in-law.She has just had her insurance renewal through and her insurance has gone up to over Ā£700, due to an ongoing incident. Shes bloody 77 and drives a poxy Kia Rio. Some scroat has claimed she has backed into his car in a carpark and mashed the driver side front wing,door and also done the bumper and grille. Now find that hard to believe seen as her car is totally unmarked. What I find even more strange is that the insurance company wont even tell her where the said incident took place and haven`t been in touch for any information!

At last, I got to speak to the officer following up the ā€œincidentā€.

I have been reported for driving ā€œAt speed so close to her car that it ripped her door open and her door hit the side of my lorry and was torn offā€.

Soo, either she had left her door off the latch and it was blown open into the side of my vehicle, or she openend it into the side of my vehicle, lucky I wasnt a cyclist, motorcyclist or even a car driver, she could have caused damage to my vehicle or at the worst killed someone. The police have decided to take no further action against me.

As my tacho shows that from the time I left the motorway I hadnt gone over 40 KMH the driving at speed allegation has gone right out of the window.

What I suspect is that, as I had a 20ft container on at the time, she has seen the back of the container go past her and thinking that is the back of the lorry has opened her door, oops thers another 10ft of trailer behind that albeit narrower and lower.

Of course she couldnā€™t admit to her insurance company that sheā€™d opened her door without looking properly in her mirror. :unamused:

Iā€™m just glad that noā€™one was hurt and hopefully sheā€™s learned a lesson.

Thaks again for all the support.

just like that guy with the white ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  on the old police camera action series who opens his door just as the flatbed passing n rips it off lol glad to hear theyve dropped it fella

Good to hear that ended up OK for you and to hear that the evidence you have (tacho) acted for you and not against. Sounds like an frightening experience for the woman (hopefully she has learnt from it), but not your fault at all.

glad its sorted.
I wonder how many of us have done something similar on a motorway.
When youā€™ve been waiting to pull out and overtake for a while, you see a rigid with a load pass and donā€™t notice his empty drag until the last minute!

Good to hear the outcome is in your favour, will the police now use their valuable services to charge this woman for wasting police time I wonder? :unamused:

Hiya ā€¦how did you go on with that so called accidentā€¦i,ve only just read this report.one of our truck had this happened
to him in Hove about 20 years ago. the truck was a drawbar 6 legger with a fold up bumper so the number plate was
at the top of the body (about 14ft up)people used to say you,ve got no plate on and we pointed up in the air.
So this clever car driver said our truck had scrapped the side of his car and drove off the times was right and the
speed was not to fast.
Car drivers mistake wasā€¦ he reported the truck been black (the colour of the scratch). the truck was black at the back
but the mudguards was red and the cab was green.this chap must have seen our truck parked in the street and the back
was black so he had all the times and dates in place he even had time to find the no plate(wich if he,d been hit while in
motion he would never thought of looking at the top of the body) the only part of the truck which could have come in
contact with him was bright red but he never looked at the front of the lorryā€¦we got away with this scam.
Another time the same happened to me in Londonā€¦this indian chap was passing me in a narrow st and made a thing about
getting passed me. somehow his bumper dragged on my tyre and come unclipped. out come the parcel tape wrapped his bumper
back on. i told the boss.(i served my time as a panel beater body repairer)so my boss belived the damagei said.
when a report and photo,s came through this car was a complete write off the roof was kinked and no doors would close.
it turned out his mate had a crash so he got involved with this scrape thinking that putting false plates on the wreck
they would get a claim not thinking we was ON THE BALLā€¦How did you get onā– ā– ?
John