Euro ratings?

Hi all,

Yesterday I got posed what should be an easy question - Is an 05 plate 7.5t Merc Atego upto Euro 4? We’ve been offered one, but wanted to make sure it would be OK in London from 2012… Easy question? No. Mercs website only tells you about the new ones, and a trawl of Google provided no more answers. In the end, I phoned the 0800 number on the Merc trucks website - and had to wait on hold for 10 mins for them to find out! Apparently any 05 plate 7.5t Atego is Euro 3, but potentially modifiable to Euro 4? Not sure I trust this answer!

So, my question, is there a useful resource somewhere on the web which would outline what year of each truck type we would need to get a Euro 4 engine?

Cheers in advance for any help.

landy12345:
Hi all,

Yesterday I got posed what should be an easy question - Is an 05 plate 7.5t Merc Atego upto Euro 4? We’ve been offered one, but wanted to make sure it would be OK in London from 2012… Easy question? No. Mercs website only tells you about the new ones, and a trawl of Google provided no more answers. In the end, I phoned the 0800 number on the Merc trucks website - and had to wait on hold for 10 mins for them to find out! Apparently any 05 plate 7.5t Atego is Euro 3, but potentially modifiable to Euro 4? Not sure I trust this answer!

So, my question, is there a useful resource somewhere on the web which would outline what year of each truck type we would need to get a Euro 4 engine?

Cheers in advance for any help.

Go on TFL’s website and put the reg number in, that will tell you, it also works for foreign trucks!

lowemissionzone.tfl.gov.uk/b/pb … ferrer=lez

im having the same probs with a 2004 sprinter,i taxed it weds and upon going through the direct gov site i found out my motor is classed as euro4,but ive been paying rfl for non euro compliant engine :smiling_imp: rang up the tax place and they say they need comfermation from the manufacturer that it is euro4,i said but the date of manufacture on your site states its euro4,its like bangin ur head up a brick wall :smiling_imp:

Trucks pre 2006 were upto euro 3 at build. You might be able to get an rpc (reduced pollution certificate) to avoid changing the exhaust, but you will definitely have to change it for euro 5

An 07 plate onwards should in theory be euro 4 at least , but found this on wikipedia , info near bottom gives some tech info.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_e … _standards

As far as I’m aware a Euro3 Merc with a software upgrade will meet the LEV Euro4 emission standards, it won’t be a Euro4 though, but it will achieve the same emissions, go figure :unamused: It won’t do your performance or economy a lot of good though as they basically ■■■■■■ the timing & the engine will not inject fuel until a certain turbo boost is achieved, so you put your foot down & not much happens, best thing to do is get it done, get the RPC & then re-flash the ECU with the original settings, just don’t tell anybody :wink:

A Euro4 will upgrade to Euro5 too, that’s just a simple tweak to the SCR system to lower the NOx emissions, simple, but probably not cheap :open_mouth:

anything registered after Oct 06 will be or assumed to be Euro 4 compliant
anything before check spec sheet