Eaton Twin Splitter Comeback?

Hi. I’m new on this forum. I’m 27, a class one night trunker from Northampton.
My question is, if anybody knows the answer, is the Eaton Twin Splitter to make a comeback? I’ve read somewhere from somebody that it might. How much truth is there to this?

I hope it does, I hate autos!!

Viva la manual!!!
Heres my truck by the way

ezydriver:
My question is, if anybody knows the answer, is the Eaton Twin Splitter to make a comeback? I’ve read somewhere from somebody that it might. How much truth is there to this?

Viva la manual!!!

nice pic but looks like u have broken down mate nice to see some younger members :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

No. This was a pic from Europe I think. I found it on the net. This was taken when the truck was new. Its still in service and runs more or less 24 hours. All our trucks do. Mainly pulling Robert Horne trailers. I was still underage to drive when this was taken, probably.

The Eaton Twin Split,was discontinued because of noise regulations.

So in answer to your question,it’s probably a myth,and I wouldn’t believe what you hear.

Shame really,because I loved it as well.

Ken.

That sounds about right Quinny.

With the increased use of cruise control as well, using a twin-splitter would be a bit more awkward now. Knock the cruise control off - change gear - cruise control back on.

If I remember correctly, the twin-splitter couldn’t handle what were considered High Powered engine outputs either. Hooking it up to a 500bhp motor was a bit too much for it. If it was still in the options range, it could certainly have been updated, but I read this not long before they discontinued it…

What is bizzare,and totally true,is that on a show truck that ■■■■■■■ used to use,they had an N14ltr engine,coupled to a twin split gearbox.It was in a Strato cabbed Seddon Atkinson.

And because it was only a show trailer,it carried no weight,probably took off like a rocket,and returned 30mpg!!!

Ken.

teddy_0781:

ezydriver:

Viva la manual!!!

nice pic but looks like u have broken down mate nice to see some younger members :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

■■■■■■■ silly place to park just to take a picture :laughing:

The first artic I ever drove was an ERF ec14 Olympic, with twin splitter, so it can take the power.

As for the noise regulations, in the IVECO with the semi auto 12 speed box, isn’t that just a twin splitter with computer control.

Strange that the twin splitter is produced in Britain, and in all the ERFs that I drove for DFDS, I never came across a noisy twin splitter.

Best gearbox ever built.

ezydriver:

How can you hate autos?, you push the stick to A and press the green pedal to go and the red one to stop what is there to get sick of?.

I also drove an EC14, putting out 340bhp, so the twin-splitter handled that, no problem at all. It was only the top power rigs of 500bhp, at that time, that the gearbox apparantly couldn’t handle.

jammymutt:

ezydriver:

How can you hate autos?, you push the stick to A and press the green pedal to go and the red one to stop what is there to get sick of?.

I dunno, I think it has something to do with feeling like I’m driving a real truck. I hate reversing with an auto, with a manual box and clutch you get that ultimate control. I just like a truck to be a truck, not a car.

ezydriver:
I dunno, I think it has something to do with feeling like I’m driving a real truck. I hate reversing with an auto, with a manual box and clutch you get that ultimate control. I just like a truck to be a truck, not a car.

I’m the same ezy. Driving a truck should feel like driving a truck, not a slightly heavy car. It should have a proper gearbox and a decent sized steering wheel.

Simon:
I also drove an EC14, putting out 340bhp, so the twin-splitter handled that, no problem at all. It was only the top power rigs of 500bhp, at that time, that the gearbox apparantly couldn’t handle.

I used to drive an MAN 22.362 twin steer fitted with the Twih Splitter, and i still reckon that it was one of the best driveline chassis and cab set ups that i’ve driven, and that was 91-93, mind you i’ve been on Renault’s most of the time since :wink: That engine would just keep on pulling, and it changed gear so quick that you hardly lost drive at all, only draw back was that the cab was pre Road House :frowning:

Quinny:
The Eaton Twin Split,was discontinued because of noise regulations.

So in answer to your question,it’s probably a myth,and I wouldn’t believe what you hear.

Shame really,because I loved it as well.

Ken.

Another twin splitter lover, I believed that the box was discontinued because of noise regulations. I am not so sure now, because my Volvo auto box is just as noisy when Im driving against a wall or in a tunnel.

The box has been checked and it is ok, the noise is normal

I believe the twin splitter was discontinued because of something to do with Euro regs NOT SURE As far as power is concerned it matched quite nicely with 410 ■■■■■■■ in my ATKI Strato [picture in my 70s 80s phot forum] LOVELY GEARBOX :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

greek:
I believe the twin splitter was discontinued because of something to do with Euro regs NOT SURE As far as power is concerned it matched quite nicely with 410 ■■■■■■■ in my ATKI Strato [picture in my 70s 80s phot forum] LOVELY GEARBOX :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

70’s and 80’s forum? My favourite era. Don’t suppose you have a link to it do you?
Regards,
Steve.

ezydriver:

greek:

70’s and 80’s forum? My favourite era. Don’t suppose you have a link to it do you?
Regards,
Steve.

IF YOU GO BACK TO MAIN INDEX & SCROLL DOWN YOUWILL COME TO PHOTO FORUM THERES MY 70 & 80`S & KW HAS SOME GOOD PICS FROM THAT ERA IN M.E enjoy Kenny