Eaton twin splitters

Following on from the auto yes/no tread what is a eaton twin split and what makes it different from 3 over 3 or 4 over 4?

You are going to get answers along these lines.

1. It is the biggest load of [zb] ever.

2. It is the best box ever and it has me nursing a semi at all times while stirring it and is the only box for real drivers.

:wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Mr B:
Following on from the auto yes/no tread what is a eaton twin split and what makes it different from 3 over 3 or 4 over 4?

You are becoming a bit of a tease aren’t you?
From a previous thread, there are many on this and other forums :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
As normal Carryfast talking ■■■■■■■■ again :laughing:

The TSO does everything an RT does and more. Why make life difficult when you can just enjoy the ride :sunglasses:

And read the rest here.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=57064&start=30&hilit=eaton+twin+splitter

The easiest and simplest manually selected gearbox ever fitted in a proper lorry!

Coffeeholic:

2. It is the best box ever and it has me nursing a semi at all times while stirring it and is the only box for real drivers.

I’ll have a number 1 :laughing:

Had a G-reg Foden with a twin splitter.
1st month I was playing all sort of tunes with the gearbox. :open_mouth:
After that i got used to it and ended up quite enjoying it.
Glad i had the chance to drive a lorry with that type of gearbox.
I don’t want one now though.
Auto’s for me now, and i wouldn’t have it any other way.

fodentanker:
Had a G-reg Foden with a twin splitter.
1st month I was playing all sort of tunes with the gearbox. :open_mouth:
After that i got used to it and ended up quite enjoying it.
Glad i had the chance to drive a lorry with that type of gearbox.
I don’t want one now though.
Auto’s for me now, and i wouldn’t have it any other way.

Still my favourite but unfortunately the bowden cable change used in Foden was occasionally a problem unless it was adjusted properly. During its life the cable became stretched or sticky and needed regular maintenance.

Coffeeholic:

:smiley: :slight_smile: :smiley: :slight_smile: :smiley: :slight_smile: :smiley: :slight_smile:

switchlogic:

Coffeeholic:

and me although i never struggled with it, but never liked it.

i think you could say it where the saying " crunching through the gears " comes from. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Had one in a new Strato 365 on for N J Grose St Austell in 1989,could not fault it.Even when i " lost " my clutch pedal loading coal @ Gedling Notts, i got it back to base in Cornwall without any problems. :slight_smile:

But having now driven the autos of today i would not want to go back. :wink:

jessicas dad:

switchlogic:

Coffeeholic:

and me although i never struggled with it, but never liked it.

But you get bored with anything after 5 mins

Mr B:

It is a full crash gearbox with two splits (3 positions on the button) for each gearstick position. However it has a system whereby drive isn’t returned if the engine speed is wrong for the gear you’re trying to get in and won’t engage drive until the engine speed and the gearbox input shaft speed match.

As a result, a lot of people new to it end up in neutral whilst trying to find one of the 12 gears it’ll go in. :grimacing: :grimacing:

Once you’ve got the hang of it, its great and you only need to use the clutch when changing the gearstick position.

For example, changing from 2nd low to 2nd mid, you just move the button, let your foot off the accelerator and let the revs drop. It’ll then re-engage drive and you’re off.

Once you’ve really got the hang of the box, other than setting off from standstill, you don’t need to use the clutch at all. I once was driving one where the clutch slave cylinder packed up as I approached Ferrybridge. I managed to get from Ferrybridge all the way to Newcastle, unload and drive all the way back to Hull. Had that been any other gearbox than an Eaton twin split, I’d not have been able to do that.

Conor:
Once you’ve really got the hang of the box, other than setting off from standstill, you don’t need to use the clutch at all. I once was driving one where the clutch slave cylinder packed up as I approached Ferrybridge. I managed to get from Ferrybridge all the way to Newcastle, unload and drive all the way back to Hull. Had that been any other gearbox than an Eaton twin split, I’d not have been able to do that.

I beg to differ - Scania 112, 10 speed box, full load of oranges, master cylinder went around Teruel. Up shipped, tipped and home for a new one.

That said I do like the Twin Splitter or any other box that reduces the need for my input. Now back to my I-shift I go :grimacing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ah the gearbox of a thousand neutrals. I’ve driven a couple over the years but only a day here and there.
Only drove foden 4000s with it but always prefered the 13 speed fuller. But given the choice il have an I shift please.

The Eaton Twin Splitter is not a crash box, it is a constant mesh box based on the Fuller RT 9513 series.
Whilst a syncromesh box is also constant mesh, people wrongly use the term crash box for the latter

It was followed by SAMT which meant Semi Automated Mechanical Transmission used by ERF, a forerunner of the Volvo iShift

This is how not to drive one, look at his left leg, he doesn’t need that except to start rolling. Lovely engine sound though

This isn’t quite as clear but very deftly changed from 1.30

Driven quite a few Fodens with the twin splitter but wasn’t a big fan of them in an ERF EC. The cables always seemed to stiffen up when they got older and it was difficult to get any leverage with the shorter gearstick. The Foden never seemed to have such problems but that’s just in my experience. Whilst we’re on the subject of old skool boxes, I learnt to drive in an ERF with a Spicer, anybody remember those?

I had one in a roadtrain interstater, loved it, was great for changing down on hills a lot quicker than my stralis

Wheel Nut:
The Eaton Twin Splitter is not a crash box, it is a constant mesh box based on the Fuller RT 9513 series.
Whilst a syncromesh box is also constant mesh, people wrongly use the term crash box for the latter

It was followed by SAMT which meant Semi Automated Mechanical Transmission used by ERF, a forerunner of the Volvo iShift

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN_3nt9cerU
This is how not to drive one, look at his left leg, he doesn’t need that except to start rolling. Lovely engine sound though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8kfwXKNgqg

I remember that featuring in an article in one of the mags and it got stuck at the Dartford crossing when it couldn’t get a gear! :laughing:

44 Tonne Ton:

Wheel Nut:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN_3nt9cerU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8kfwXKNgqg

I remember that featuring in an article in one of the mags and it got stuck at the Dartford crossing when it couldn’t get a gear! :laughing:

That article I think was about A S Jones of Bromborough

Wheel Nut:

Wheel Nut:
As normal Carryfast talking ■■■■■■■■ again :laughing:

The TSO does everything an RT does and more. Why make life difficult when you can just enjoy the ride :sunglasses:

The easiest and simplest manually selected gearbox ever fitted in a proper lorry!

The voice of reason actually again.If the twin split was that good then they’d have have consigned the range change to the history books when in fact it’s the twin split that’s gone and what they actually did was what they should have done in the beginning by just making the thing an 18 speed still with a good old fashioned range change and splitter arrangement :question: :bulb: :wink: .