Eaton Splitter box

So there I was eating a poor mixed grill at Colsterworth Diner yesterday and two drivers on the next table were whinging like immigrants on a boat with a puncture and sure enough one mentions the famous Eaton Splitter. Is there a monument for this mechanical behemoth anywhere. We really are a sad bunch.

Probably not but there should be! I’d sooner have it bolted to the back of my engine than the boat anchor MAN fitted [emoji57]

Great gearbox on highway work but ■■■■■ for town or city

i found it ok in town and city better than modern auto’s.

Eaton for men. Auto’s for girls. :laughing:

albion1971:
Eaton for men. Auto’s for girls. :laughing:

Well you must keep being a girl then .I dint think it will be back.

Nothing better then a Eaton Twin Split. Doesnt matter if on the Flat,Mountains or City.
That some couldnt handle it wasnt on the Gearbox.
Alone the Clutch holded twice as long as on a other Gearbox.

The Eaton Twin Split required patience to use it well otherwise you ended up in neutral if you tried to rush the gearchanges. Once you had mastered it it was a great gearbox that never required you to use the clutch at all apart from setting off and coming to a stop.

midlifetrucker:
So there I was eating a poor mixed grill at Colsterworth Diner yesterday and two drivers on the next table were whinging like immigrants on a boat with a puncture and sure enough one mentions the famous Eaton Splitter. Is there a monument for this mechanical behemoth anywhere. We really are a sad bunch.

These days the whingeing tends to be about immigrants, rather than by them (who are more likely to have something to complain about, like war or being on an overloaded death trap boat). Never used an Eaton but I prefer a manual to pretty much any auto, but halfway auto boxes with clutches are the worst I’ve had to use.

Cue robroy for chapter and verse :slight_smile:

I’m off to watch some paint dry before he arrives :wink:

great box in ERF COUPLED TO ■■■■■■■ 325 SHORT GEAR STICK ,IF SPEED LIMITER WENT U/S BY WHAT A TOOL

How any body in there right mind could possibly consider that this gearbox comes close to modern I-shifts etc is beyond me. I have had the pleasure of a twin splitter in an ERF and simmarlily a 10 speed spicer in an Atki I now prefer an easy life. we rely on computers and electronics for so many things these days why not make the most of it.

Here’s the last lorry I had with the fabulous twin splitter it
was fitted with a Rolls/Perkins TX 375 a cracking reliable motor it never missed a beat attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447351338.871361.jpg[/attachment]

Problem is: that lorry was always going uphill. :smiley: :smiley:
I had an Eaton twinsplit, coupled to a big cam ■■■■■■■■■■■ a great motor at the time, but things progress, we now have much better vehicles and gearboxes…i love the easy life now and prefer an auto anytime.

Big Roy:
Cue robroy for chapter and verse :slight_smile:

I’m off to watch some paint dry before he arrives :wink:

During the war…
:laughing:

Nah, I preferred the 13 speed Fuller box anyway, but being the driving God I am, they were both a piece of ■■■■ to me :sunglasses:
, I won’t bore the arses of you about David Browns, and Spicers I will spare you all that.
Yeh, I know, …you are all soooo disappointed :laughing:
Maybe next time, I’m certain you cannot wait. :smiley:

By the way I’m an amateur compared to Truckyboy :smiley:

I’ve managed to turn to the right way

the words…eaton twin splitter …would be one of the many reasons that most drivers prefer to cab it in solitude with the curtains closed of a quiet evening parked up somewhere.or alternatively sitting in a rdc waiting room with earphones bunged into their ear…you don’t need 3 pedals when you only have 2 feet…automatic anything wins hands down for me.

History and rightly so, could you imagine the current crop using one.

The clowns I work with can’t even couple up without smacking the back of the cab in.

On a more serious note it was like the 2.8i Capri good in its day crap today.

Eatons for men autos for ■■■■■■■. I love my Renault auto :grimacing:

Conor:
The Eaton Twin Split required patience to use it well otherwise you ended up in neutral if you tried to rush the gearchanges. Once you had mastered it it was a great gearbox that never required you to use the clutch at all apart from setting off and coming to a stop.

i never was patient in my Life.Not even to a Gearbox. Just the right Rep and Gears go in as Hot Knife in the Butter