Eaton gear box

I am driving a ERF EC11 with a eaton 16 speed gear box. It seems to have a problem staying in gear. Whilst driving in 7th easing off on the trottle causes it to lose drive but if I dip the clutch again it reselects the gear again. Is this common with this box?

Hi beardy,
When you ease off the throttle and it loses drive have you tried reapplying the throttle instead of dipping the clutch?

I have a 18 speed Eaton/Fuller and when you are in gear and want to split the gears you select the next gear up/down and take your foot off the throttle (the ■■■■■■ will lose all drive till you gently apply the throttle again) then it should select the next gear. I aint no mechanic but if this dont work then I would say you have a problem with the spliter.

Bully

shame it ain’t an Eaton Twin Splitter, the best box ever

Pat Hasler:
shame it ain’t an Eaton Twin Splitter, the best box ever

Yep you got that right Pat

Bully

if it’s popping out of 7th gear in hi and low splits when you are backing off the throttle and putting power on again (over run).

the gear interlock is cream crackered and this little brute is part of the gear synco/selector pack. if you try 3rd gear and it does the same it’s well goosed.

only way to fix it?.. box off, strip down and replace the synco/selector

on a lighter note… if it is well knackered. bits of harded steel are floating round the box too. the gear train will look like it’s been the dentist it will have that many teeth missing :open_mouth:

personally… i wouldn’t go out on the road with it.

Eaton twin split best gear box ,are you having a laugh,if it was that good where is it now,in a past life I know someone who took the prototpye on field trails, biggest pile of xxxx put in a wagon,used to work for a company who ran erf,s with twin splits false neutrals just could,nt make the gears changing up because you never know if you would get the next gear,and yes did have trainning on them and the wagon was just the same,they where put in turbo stars and where just the same a pile o f (cant say bacause of the forum admin,and it,s my opinion).

Sorry froggy but I agree with Pat and Bully best gearbox ever.

Someone will correct me if I’m wrong but I think they stopped making the twin split because it could’nt pass the noise regulations.

cheers
STEVE.

Atki, Pat and Bully are right, twin splitter is the best gearbox around.
Noisy, well have you tried the 12 speed semi auto fitted to Iveco’s about 4 years ago, now They they were noisy.
I heard a whisper that it was more to do with the EU, they couldn’t build them or drive them.
Awkward to drive initially, if the splitter switch is connected the wrong way round, had one like that the other day, stuffed me up for a while. Hadn’t driven one for a while, but soon got used to it, and fell in love with the twin again.

Dratsabasti:
Atki, Pat and Bully are right, twin splitter is the best gearbox around.
Noisy, well have you tried the 12 speed semi auto fitted to Iveco’s about 4 years ago, now They they were noisy.
I heard a whisper that it was more to do with the EU, they couldn’t build them or drive them.
Awkward to drive initially, if the splitter switch is connected the wrong way round, had one like that the other day, stuffed me up for a while. Hadn’t driven one for a while, but soon got used to it, and fell in love with the twin again.

I think you hit the nail on the head Dratsabasti, The first time I took one out I also thought “what a load off junk this is” but after a couple of days of gear jamming and a few tips from some old timers I loved it…:slight_smile: I felt like a super trucker!!!

Bully

mrs froggy here , sorry guys been dragged to the computer to look at himindoors favorite website! just a quick look at dragsabaskis name (spellng!) and my comment was your an anagram of SAD *[zb]*(ladies present) but there arnt any d`s! on second reading ! any one think of a rude anagram to froggy?

(edited - AndyM :wink: Even little stars arnt allowed, it was still rude)

froggy:
mrs froggy here , sorry guys been dragged to the computer to look at himindoors favorite website! just a quick look at dragsabaskis name (spellng!) and my comment was your an anagram of SAD *[zb]* (ladies present) but there arnt any d`s! on second reading ! any one think of a rude anagram to froggy?

try reading it backwards :wink:

I only drove a truck with an eaton twin splitter for a few days and didn’t really get used to it, but my brother had one for 18 months and loved it. I think the reason they stopped them might be to do with fuel economy and fleet buyers having a high turn over of drivers so drivers not having time to learn how to use the box to its best.

they have stopped making them some years ago… about ‘s’ reg for erf and the last three were fitted in some late ‘t’ plate acki stratocruisers

yes eaton are that good at making gearboxs and axles…

they plan to have shut down all the europe opperations in about the next two years :confused:

personally. i can drive them, i understand how they work… but they would not be my ‘box’ of choice. not when you have the likes of the actros and the man t-ga out there that make shifting gear so easy.

they have gone the way of the dinosaur they were. heavy engineered peices of equipment that really have no place in modern vehicles.

on top of that I would add the merc eps,the four runner to the actros,click click sorted.Eatons twin splits,and I know someone who is not to far removed,but agreed not to spill the beans on any eatons products via a contractual clause,but volvo had a look at the the twin split and said in essence no way,they ran out of walkden near manchester,and not the one at the side of the M61.The guy in charge of the proto-type twin split who is known to me in my opinion was such arrogant person of liverpudlian desent who should of listened to the drivers ,could of made that gear box a real winner.

Thanks for the info. The box is going to Bolton to get reconditioned

Can not remeber where I heard it But I believe one of the big manufacturers is looking at bringing the twin splitter Back
I hope so I love the box
rgds Mike

production of the twin splitter was stopped due to it failing the EU drive by noise tests.prefer the 13 speed fuller myself.still drive one of these every day in a MAN.only thing i dont like is you have to be patient when selecting gear to move off.driven a foden with a 325 ■■■■■■■ & 9 speed fuller-what a piece of [zb] :imp: had to wait an age between changes!!the 13 will change fast as you like with or without the clutch.

EDITED FOR LANGUAGE CONTENT-ATKIG11

Nearly but not quite :wink: :wink:

morpethmike:
Can not remeber where I heard it But I believe one of the big manufacturers is looking at bringing the twin splitter Back
I hope so I love the box
rgds Mike

NO,NO,NO,NO, please NO!!! :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

it’s a bag of spanners, it’s pants, it was out of date when they 1st made it what makes any manufacturer think they can make it upto date now? :imp:

eaton twin split or man comfort shift sir or even the iveco auto clutch thing… anything but stirring the gears yourself. let servos and air and little motors do the pyhsical work of making the gears change, you sit back and press little buttons or push little levers with no resistance to them and you will be more relaxed and less stressed.

nothing worse than driving a twin splitter in heavy traffic and you start having a bad one with it. not going into gear,finding neutrals between gears that you didn’t know where there. anyone who drove one knows what i’m saying!

they had there day… it’s gone. let 'em rest, please.

I love the twin-splitter!

Bring back the twin-split!

You never get stuck with a twin-split if you can bunnyhop. I never understood people who don’t like it, it’s easier than many of the so called “Intelligent” boxes. It does what it’s told to.

I think most people have a problem with the twin split because they try to rush it.

I taught myself how to drive it, first couple of days plenty of false neutrals but then got the hang of it.

The way I did it was to imagine you are moving the gearlever or splitter as you would in a 'normal truck" it seems like a slow change because you are doing nothing!!

You can soon work out where the change comes in by watching the rev counter, after a while you can feel it click in.

Uphill down changes…superb I have never driven anything better!!!

I drove several tippers over a two year period with the twin split and would have one in a truckmixer today if I could :cry: I always thought it was the perfect balance between technology and driver control.

cheers
STEVE.