Foden 12 speed box

i am out in a foden alpha tipper with a 12 speed eaton box tomorrow i never used one before any advice :blush:

play about with it first and take ur time, you shld get it iwithin 5 mins though, i really liked this gearbox when i had my foden

this is basically how the gearbox is set out, once you get upto the higher gears you just flick the switch and drop the clutch and it changes gear.

1 ā€” 2
3 ā€” 4
5/6 ā€” 9/10
7/8 ā€” 11/12

i still dont get it :open_mouth:

1-4 are just like a car

5/6 are in the same gate but have a switch to flick between them, its the same with 7/8 , 9/10 and 11/12

when in 5th u flick the switch forward to get to 6th then press the clutch in and it changes gear, no need to move the gearstick.

then you flick the switch back into the middle to go up to 7th and so on and so on

Chewyboy:

Nor me - It sounds like some dumb arse thing to me :laughing:

Good luck your gonna need it :laughing:

m4rky:

Chewyboy:

Nor me - It sounds like some dumb arse thing to me :laughing:

Good luck your gonna need it :laughing:

its not hard it just sounds like a pig.

basically you only move the gearstick when ur changing between 6th and 7th, 8th and 9th and 10th and 11th

the rest of the high range is flick of the 3 way splitter and the clutch

I was told to only use the clutch to set off and to stop, other than that once the revs are right it will change gear itself - assuming you move either the gear lever or the splitter switch.

Guys who use that box regularly swear by it - I just swore at it! :slight_smile:

i always used the clutch with it, it is a great gearbox though

I drove one the other day and two people said it was two different things.

It was a Foden 26t flatbed with a 12 speed Eaton gearbox. There was a switch on the side labled I II III and I was told to treat it as a ā€˜4 over 4 over 4ā€™.

Yet whenever I try and search on this forum or anything I am told that itā€™s a an ā€˜Eaton Twin Splitterā€™ which I donā€™t think it isā€¦

It was quite nice to drive though :wink: The guy who came out to evaluate my driving fell asleep in the passenger seat so clearly it wasnā€™t that bad :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Also, reverse in the ā€˜Iā€™ position was slow with it being in ā€˜IIIā€™ being quite fast :smiley: :smiley:

Saratoga:
Yet whenever I try and search on this forum or anything I am told that itā€™s a an ā€˜Eaton Twin Splitterā€™ which I donā€™t think it isā€¦

Hi Saratoga,

Is this the gearshift pattern that you encountered?

Going by gogzyā€™s description, Iā€™d say that itā€™s a Fuller ā€˜Roadrangerā€™ which, as you suspect, is indeed a completely different beast to an Eaton ā€˜twin-splitter.ā€™

Gearshift.jpg

Sorry for the crap artwork. :blush:

I hope this helps. :smiley:

Is it an ā€œautomaticā€ block changer just skip the red or the blues. :laughing:

Redrorry:
Is it an ā€œautomaticā€ block changer just skip the red or the blues. :laughing:

:bulb: You could think of it in that way. :wink:

Once you get used to that type of gearbox, there are less stick-shifts required once youā€™re in high range, ie, using switch positions II or III.

I sometimes drive an 8wheeler foden with this box itā€™s really nice I think thT 1st and second are far to short though. I tend to drive it 2nd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th then flick the spliter

It wasnā€™t that piccy above.

1-2-3-4 at I setting, 5-6-7-8 at II setting, 9-10-11-12 at III setting.

It was recommended I use all the gears in the right order and didnā€™t even get up to top box until the last run back to base.

If Iā€™m in that truck again Iā€™ll take more fots :wink:

Saratoga:
It wasnā€™t that piccy above.

1-2-3-4 at I setting, 5-6-7-8 at II setting, 9-10-11-12 at III setting.

It was recommended I use all the gears in the right order and didnā€™t even get up to top box until the last run back to base.

If Iā€™m in that truck again Iā€™ll take more fots :wink:

Hi Saratoga,

Iā€™ll take your word for it, but Iā€™ve not encountered the type of gearshift pattern that you described.
Just out of interest, could I ask whether you (or the guy who explained it to you) are sure about it please?

The gearshift pattern in my pic is a Fuller Roadranger, which was quite common in artics.
Perhaps the version you drove was for rigids, but if so, I canā€™t see any advantage of re-arranging a 12-speed gearbox that worked well just because it was going to be used in a rigid. TBF though, I didnā€™t drive rigids of that ilk, hence the gap in my knowledge.

If you get to have a look at that truck again, could you ask what gearbox it has and maybe take a couple of pics please?

Youā€™re still spot-on that what youā€™ve described is not an Eaton twin-splitter, and nor is the one in my pic, which is why the one youā€™ve described has got my interest. :smiley:

So to go from 5th to 6th you turn the collar from 1 to 2 then clutch in? Then from 6th to 7th turn the collar back to 1 then pull the stick down into 7th?