ERF gearbox

Hi folks,

Looks like I’m going to be driving a 51 or 02 plate ERF unit for the first time tomorrow - what type of gearbox is that likely to have ?

Thanks in advance !

if its an ECT

1. comfort shift
  2. splitter
  3. range change

It will probably have a 16 speed eaton or zf syncromesh. which is a 4 over 4 with a splitteron every gear. but there is a small possibility it might have the eaton or zf 12 speed syncromesh which is a 4 over 4 with a splitter on the top range gears. They didnt put the twinsplitter in the later erf’s or fodens because they were too noisey.

gerontius:
Hi folks,

Looks like I’m going to be driving a 51 or 02 plate ERF unit for the first time tomorrow - what type of gearbox is that likely to have ?

Thanks in advance !

THIS IS NOT THE DIFINITIVE ANSWER but I think it is the slap box (looks like a straight 8 but there is a gate between the low 4 & high 4 gears)

Some-one with better knowledge than me will be along soon… :slight_smile:

Some-one has - thanks guys :smiley:

Thanks for all the quick replies -it all makes sense - except: what is a “comfort shift” please ?

its a button that saves you pressing the clutch when splitting a gear. you flick the splitter switch and press the comfort shift in for a couple of seconds instead of pushing the clutch down. saves wear and tear on your left leg :laughing:

I used the comfort shift to change all gears once moving there is no need to use the clutch untill you need to stop again.

I agree catclan.

Use the clutch pedal to pull away and stop.
Use the Comfy Shift for everything else. I reckon it takes a definite ‘press and release’ of the button to change a split. A flick of the button can be too quick, a couple of seconds can be to long.
When using the comfy shift button, the engine management computer controls your revs’, matching the revs to your road speed / gear being selected. So you have to let it do it’s job. Gently push the stick into the gate of the gear you want, it’ll just slide into gear. If you try and hurry it into gear you’ll get poor gear changes and possibly some graunches, extra neutrals and your truck will bleep loudly at you, a lot.

The range change is the large rocker switch on the front of the stick. The splitter is the flip switch on the side of the it, as shown in that pic Scanny 77 posted.
That gives you a total of 16 gears, with the 4 on the gear stick.