+E reverse practice

Hi went for an assessment with Ritchies in Glasgow today, I had decided to go with them anyway as I’ve decide to have a 5 day course which for an extra £100 I will get a full 35hrs CPC pass or fail.

Anyhoo I wanted to take a drive in an artic to see what it was like compared to the 18 ton rigid I learned in. I have no trailer experience whatsoever never had the need or the inclination. I know the theory is to steer the opposite way to the direction you want the trailer to move in.

The instructor said my driving was fine and personally I found it not much different from the rigid but thought I would struggle with the reversing. I never had any problems with reversing the rigid but I was only able to do it on the artic with full instruction. My course is not set for a few weeks would taking some practice with car and a small trailer be any use to me or is it just too different for an artic trailer.

I will give you a little advice now, just dont worry about the reversing it will click into place after the first couple of days!! trust me!! if you look back over my thread you will see i struggled with the reverse but mastered it after the 1st few days. There’s a technique to it and only with practice and working it out in your head you will find it. Small amounts of steering is the key, you will be supprised how much of a little turn will bend that trailer around. And at any time if your unsure how much the trailer has bended just turn the steering wheel to the direction where you see the most tralier in your mirror and the trailer will straighten up! Anyway you will see when you start training, dont worry it will come good.

Did you find that driving the artic was a much nicer drive and basically all round a better lorry to drive than the rigid? I loved driving the artic, drove miles better than the rigid i learnt in.

goodluck and all the best. :smiley:

In regards to the cpc have you got your cpc qualification yet? If you have not then the 35 hours will not count towards your required hours. And there is not a need to do it until closer to the time of renewal.

As an example, I did my cpc theory and then practical demonstration a month or so ago and have gained my driver cpc. I have 14 hours of cpc training to do end of the month which will count towards my required 35hours in the next 5 years.

There is no need for you to do full 35 hours just to gain your initiAl driver cpc, unless of course ita not your initial cpc in which case ill shut up now.

I know what you mean about the artic, i just started mine today and I am of the same feeling as yu in regards driving it. The reversing i found ok just need to follow the trailer with the cab a bit better

TJ82 I have C1 since 1988 so did not need to do intial CPC, just 35 hrs before Sept 2014. The instructor said my driving was good butit was him who suggested getting some car and trailer practice as I had no experience at all. I said it would be ok once it clicked he said that was true but you cannot tell when so if possible get some practice any practice just to see how a trailer moves in reverse.

brawngp:
Did you find that driving the artic was a much nicer drive and basically all round a better lorry to drive than the rigid? I loved driving the artic, drove miles better than the rigid i learnt in.

goodluck and all the best. :smiley:

Yes especially as the rigid was a 10 year old 18ton ERF, massive steering wheel a very stiff accelerator (ooh er missus) :laughing:

Redrorry:
TJ82 I have C1 since 1988 so did not need to do intial CPC, just 35 hrs before Sept 2014. The instructor said my driving was good butit was him who suggested getting some car and trailer practice as I had no experience at all. I said it would be ok once it clicked he said that was true but you cannot tell when so if possible get some practice any practice just to see how a trailer moves in reverse.

Then completely ignore my newbie-ness lol

I figured out today slower the better when reversing an artic. Tried to do it too quickly first go today and messed up. Second time went slowly just on tick over and voila parked it a treat.

TJ82:
Then completely ignore my newbie-ness lol

I figured out today slower the better when reversing an artic. Tried to do it too quickly first go today and messed up. Second time went slowly just on tick over and voila parked it a treat.

My problem is that I’m a trained driving instructor (10 years) so have taught many manouvers in reverse but never had the use or need for a trailer. I have very a ingrained sense of left and right and found steering the opposite way to get where I wanted very difficult. I have read that keeping my hands below my quarter to three i.e bottom half of the steering wheel will allow me to steer right for right and left for left. Have not had a chance to try this but it makes logical sense, does anyone know if this way to steer is acceptable on test.

Glad to hear your mastering this “dark art” :laughing: and good luck with your training TJ82.

Ah yes being an instructor will have the effect you mention.

The examiner will not be in the cab so in fairness he won’t be looking at your hands. Aslong as you don’t cross them i cannot see a problem.

The idea behind keeping them below 9 and 3 is the rear of the trailer goes the same direction as the bottom of the steering wheel.

Eg imagine a piece of tape in the centre of your steering wheel at the bottom. Move the tape so it goes to the right, and the rear of the trailer will also go to the right, and vice versa.

Or if it helps you, whatever way you want the trailer t go out that hand dead centre of the steering wheel at the bottom and move it that way. Ie right hand at 6 o’clock position, move it anti clockwise (right) the rear of the trailer will go right.

Hope that helps. You will figure out your own way

I feed the wheel so in effect working push pull below quarter to three would have the same effect as steering the opposite way . So if I feed to the left trailer goes left if, I feed to the right trailer goes right or is is this too simple and leaves the tractor unit out of the equation.

Trainers are welcome to throw their tuppence in please. :laughing:

Reversing is the area that most c+e learners fear and its really not necessary. As said previously, after a couple of goes it you’ll probably find that you were worried about nothing. No gas, just tickover is all you need and as previously mentioned, small amounts of steering. Most instructors have an old trick with some tape on the headboard of the trailer that makes the whole thing surprisingly easy. If you do oversteer on test its easy to get in a worse state by trying to correct it, so bear in mind you can always reset your position and start again.

Try not to put your arm out of the window and under no circumstances attempt to light a ■■■ and drink your can of coke at the same time as this usually fails to impress an examiner :grimacing:

Redrorry:
I feed the wheel so in effect working push pull below quarter to three would have the same effect as steering the opposite way . So if I feed to the left trailer goes left if, I feed to the right trailer goes right or is is this too simple and leaves the tractor unit out of the equation.

Trainers are welcome to throw their tuppence in please. :laughing:

You got it.

That’s the same principal just in your own terms.

MrHappy

My trainer told me after the initial lock to get the trailer going left when I see a reflector in my drivers side mirror I have to start removing the lock, and follow the line that shows the reversing area, but slowly so I can see the side of the trailer and subsequently the cone, and it works.

Thats basically it. I was taught to move off and immediately put on one and a half full turns r/h down, as soon as you see the tape/reflector in the mirror apply 3 full turns of l/h down and then as your rig straightens up and you clear the cone put your other lock back on one and a half full turns until you need to straighten up for the box. Nice and slow, gently does it and you’ve probably cracked it after 3 goes. Just watch your o/s/f wheel on the outer line and bingo, your in like Flynn. Been a while since I did it but I believe the test is still the same.

Seen a couple of people go to pieces in the test centre though, putting the wrong lock on straight away, getting out of shape and ending up zig zagging towards the cone trying to correct it. I’m pretty sure and I stand to be corrected that the proper advice is to return to your starting position and go again. Saw one fella do that and put the wrong lock on AGAIN. End of test, didn’t even get out on the road.

Hello Redrorry

There are many different tricks and tips available for cracking this problem. Basically you have to think of the trailer as something you have to push towards the box.

If there was no truck and you were pushing it manually which way would you push the front of the trailer? To begin with you would have to move it towards the yellow line, so make the unit push it that way.

Dont think of the rear of the trailer …think of the front of it. Push the front the way you want it to go.

Step 1 - Steering wheel to the right…Front of trailer heads towards the line
Step 2 - Strighten up with steering to the left

Go as slow as possible, you have almost 5 whole vehicle lengths to make any corrections.

Take a forward shunt if needed. We only advise to shunt towards the middle cone and take it from there.

Practice will make perfect until you can imagine it in your sleep.

Tip: You start straight…you finish straight so the less OFF straight the better.
If you can see the trailer in the mirror turn the wheel towards that mirror and you will straighten up

Tip: Watch someone else do it from outside and it will begin to seem obvious.

Regards

John
Flair Training