Artic Reversing

They say learning starts after the test, if you can get work :unamused: I had an assessment today and was asked to do a right hand reverse by a trailer. Did it, sort of, but it took a shunt or two. I’ve only done one reverse since passing the test and that was about 30 degrees to the bay, and so was dead easy to bang in. In the normal world, but when there’s no room what the hell do you do?

I was told by a driver once (in the grease on a rear door. Hadn’t even started driving then) that you should steer right (trailer rear moves away from bay), then over the the left, pushing the trailer in line with the bay, and saving you hitting whatever is parked on the next bay over (to the left of the one you’re going into). Not had chance to try this in practise (sure I will soon enough :open_mouth:).

What advice have you got for when I eventually have to do this? (Going on to a Class 2 trunking job as it’s guaranteed work 4 days a week until I get a full time job)

GOAL (Get Out And Look) - as many times as needed. Don’t worry about what others will think of you. They’ll think a lot worse (and so will your boss) if you hit something.

Roymondo:
GOAL (Get Out And Look) - as many times as needed. Don’t worry about what others will think of you. They’ll think a lot worse (and so will your boss) if you hit something.

Absolutely no use to you but…I worked on tractors years ago - easiest thing to do was to partially tip the trailer and then you could see through the chassis to the rear wheels. Ideal for tipping onto hoppers. So long as the trailer didn’t topple… :laughing:

Speaking from experience the art of reversing only comes with practise - and any decent potential employer should realise this and cut you a bit of slack - just take extra care and don’t damage anything - from my limited experience employers do not care how many shunts you need so long as you can do it safely.

Good luck :smiley:

Reversing an artic isn’t witchcraft or voodoo it’s practice keeping calm and getting out to look don’t be a hero and think oh its fine then crunch too late.
Set yourself up if room permits imagine yourself driving out the bay and try and follow it back onto the bay.
If you have the room get as far from the bay as you can reason being farther you are from it the more shallow the angle to get on it ok,take it slowly turn the wheel little bits at a time.turn the wheel watch where the trailers going adjust it bit at a time don’t saw at it,if needs stop pull forward and set yourself again no harm in anything as long as your on it hitting nothing.
If in doubt ask tell them your a newbie and can they help you reverse,no shame in it,been driving bendys 6 years when I get to some of our shops will get shop staff to watch me back if I think it’s a bit iffy.
Motorway services when it’s quiet pick a bay and practice plenty of room to try different angles.

Hope this helps

Jeff.

Roymondo:
GOAL (Get Out And Look) - as many times as needed. Don’t worry about what others will think of you.

If I see a driver getting out to take a look I actually think better of them. There’s someone who is taking care of their truck, and the property of others around them. I don’t understand anyone who thinks it is in some way a failing or a sign of weakness, in my mind it is a sign of common sense and wisdom. I hope there are others who think as I do, and far fewer who will mock a careful driver.

ORC:

Roymondo:
GOAL (Get Out And Look) - as many times as needed. Don’t worry about what others will think of you.

If I see a driver getting out to take a look I actually think better of them. There’s someone who is taking care of their truck, and the property of others around them. I don’t understand anyone who thinks it is in some way a failing or a sign of weakness, in my mind it is a sign of common sense and wisdom. I hope there are others who think as I do, and far fewer who will mock a careful driver.

^^^^^^ this

Daytrunker:

ORC:

Roymondo:

^^^^^^ this

Agreed, I’ve never had a derogatory comment for being a human YoYo in and out the cab.
Plenty of other faults about me for them to pick on! :grimacing:

htmldude:
What advice have you got for when I eventually have to do this?

Look at MickyB666’s thread on the subject. Lots of good advice on there, no point in retyping it all… :slight_smile:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=130741