Doing my class 1

So I start my class 1 lessons on Monday, just wandering if anyone has any advice for me?
I’m a little nervous as the reversing is totally different to rigids.

Don’t let them fob you off with a formula reverse just for the test. Ask for practise to understand the principle of reversing and how quick or slow the trailer moves. Good luck

No, just listen to your instructor, reversing an artic is totally different to reversing a rigid but you’ll soon get the hang of it.

Just like one of those trick “reverse steering” bicycles on Brighton seafront, you have to get used to turning the steering wheel the wrong way. :wink:

I reckon that’s the best bit of advice ever for training. If I’d asked for more time on reversing about the little draw bar in all directions, rather than ‘aim this and that cone against the sticky tape on the mirror’ to make the zig zag, then it would have made the first week on a real artic easier.

Take your time and listen to your instructor , it’s not a race forward planning is the key when approaching round a abouts and junctions , mirrors mirrors mirrors , check your mirrors constantly , as far as reversing goes that will come after practise as you’ve already done your class c you will have a little knowledge of lane discipline etc , all the best and good luck regards Tom.

Learn to pass the test 1st then learn to reverse while you’re on the job.

To be honest that’s what I actually did. I only had enough money for the min 5 days so there wasn’t much spare time. I cracked it when I was sent to Scotland in an artic on my first run that was a week away. The first tips that day were more luck than judgement as it hadn’t clicked properly yet. I thought balls to it and before I called it a night and pulled the tacho, I found an empty area in the middle of nowhere and played about in my artic using some stones to make a small bay. Felt a bit like a kid with a gianormous radio controlled toy and if anyone would have seen me it would have led to some serious head scratching. But needs must! Afterwards I’d cracked it enough to set me up to survive the rest of the week. Im sure it didn’t use too much diesel ha.

Hopefully you will get a properly trained instructor who will be able to get you ready for your test in the time you have paid for.
Just listen and try to stay calm.It is not a hard test to pass if you can control your nerves.Your instructor should help you gain confidence during training and he will also show you how to tackle the reversing manoeuvre.With a little practice you will wonder what you were worrying about.
Once you pass the test then you will really start to learn…good luck.

Plenty of advice in the New and Wannabee section on this site…Good Luck

Everyone reverses in a different way and it is only something you will learn by doing it for yourself. Chill out, relax and have fun. :wink:

Little and often on the steering…

Try and relax.My tutor said drive as if there were live animals in the trailer.As they stand upright in transit.
A malted drink such as Horlicks will assist in sleep the night before the test.
Boots sell Kalms,a natural remedy to ease the nerves.
It is best not to watch tv on the night as that stimulates the brain.
It may be a case that you have forgoten what was taught and the mind goes blank and panic sets in.
No worries,it will all come back on the day.
The brain files away information until it is needed,like a computer.
Good luck.It took me 3 times to pass.Nerves got me.

Pimpdaddy:
Learn to pass the test 1st then learn to reverse while you’re on the job.

And have no clue and get stressed and in a mess. You can drive a truck forward and apart from swinging out and observation it’s not a lot different.

Reversing is the key

midlifetrucker:
And have no clue and get stressed and in a mess. You can drive a truck forward and apart from swinging out and observation it’s not a lot different.

Reversing is the key

Why wouldn’t you have a clue when you’ve been instructed to the required standard? Most people get nervous, that’s normal. It takes a while to ‘know how to reverse’, it would cost more than most trainees can afford hence me saying it’s best to learn whilst on the job, at least you’re being paid for it:grin:

My advice is…save your money and don’t get into driving trucks for a living!
Crap money,long hours and away from your friends and family while you sleep in a tin box for £20 per night.

Pimpdaddy:

midlifetrucker:

Reversing is the key

Why wouldn’t you have a clue when you’ve been instructed to the required standard? Most people get nervous, that’s normal. It takes a while to ‘know how to reverse’, it would cost more than most trainees can afford hence me saying it’s best to learn whilst on the job, at least you’re being paid for it:grin:

When I did mine I was told a formula that was all we did. Great for test ,crap for real world

You can drive a truck forward and apart from swinging out and observation it’s not a lot different.

Oh dear…sounds like you do not even know how to go forward correctly!

Take a little more room at roundabouts/traffic lights/junctions and if you need to straddle the lanes, do it. The trailer needs room to turn. Give plenty of indication to the road users behind. Oil your neck as the instructor loves plenty of mirror obs.
Reversing, well we are all still making errors, if you have to take another shunt…no problem. Another shunt or bend a t bar/crack a light ■■?

It is best not to watch tv on the night as that stimulates the brain.

Really, what do you watch? LOL… :smiley:

ajs68:
Take a little more room at roundabouts/traffic lights/junctions and if you need to straddle the lanes, do it. The trailer needs room to turn. Give plenty of indication to the road users behind. Oil your neck as the instructor loves plenty of mirror obs.
Reversing, well we are all still making errors, if you have to take another shunt…no problem. Another shunt or bend a t bar/crack a light ■■?

albion1971:
You can drive a truck forward and apart from swinging out and observation it’s not a lot different.

Oh dear…sounds like you do not even know how to go forward correctly!

you know nothing about me you pompous prat. I merely offered some advice so the bloke doesn’t get in a artic and loose heart because he can’t get it on a bay.
The amount of posts of new drivers who struggle with the reverse on this forum in numerous. Modern trucks can be driven forward by any competant driver, the sweat comes in when you have a bunch of hairy arsed drivers watching you struggle to get on a bay. I am suggesting that he merely asks the instructor to give them proper instruction and for them to experience exactly how quick or slow a trailer moves. How little or more you need to whip the wheel round . My instruction was similar to " turn it 2 turns to the right straighten it up, then two turns to the left and it will go in. ". Taught me nothing about the realities of getting on a bay between two units with limited space.

So if you have no useful comments why not shut the ■■■■ up