Class 1 , how hard

Hi
I’ve posted a few for information so I apologies if I’m doing heads in
But information is important as big decisions being made

How hard is c + e , driving I remember having a 4’ trailer on car and didn’t cope to well reversing a 40’ trailer is some what more scary some have said it’s easier because it’s bigger you can see the movement better of the trailer reversing

Again info important

Sorry but think you are way too far ahead of yourself stop the 1st thing to do is go visit a training provider asap you don’t need or shouldn’t need an appointment ask about medical theory HPT ask them if you can talk you through a few things ask to sit in 1 of there vehicles or watch it being reversed

Then see what the start pay is for Cat C work in your area by going to visit local transport companies also ask about the pay for CE while you are there

If stil interested btw money not alway the best in this industry gone are those days although you can make a living depends on your needs may have to change a few things

Then still want to do it watch how drivers use the road try to copy get rid of rear view mirror

Then we will worry about drivers hours truck stops etc

But here are the drivers hours if you want

gov.uk/government/publicati … cles-in-gb

Would be nice to have a detailed explanation (preferably from Peter and/or rog) to clear this up once and for all.

There are those who say that reversing an artic is a

piece of ■■■■

You have those claiming that it is so hard that that is what separates

the professionals

from i assume all the

unprofessional

rigid drivers.

It’s been suggested that it is harder to reverse a caravan than an artic.

Then there is what are the difference between artic and w&d that make it easy or at least not too difficult for an artic driver to jump into a w&d but not vice versa.

I’ve got no great concerns that I can’t drive class 1
It’s my thing
Some things you just can do I feel confident that I manage fine
Road usage steeling a lane here and there
I do feel that I’ll get it
Drivers hours I know basics

Was trying to get head around the big picture
Of all

Challenging yer
No issues at all once I have a day I recon I’ll pick it up naturally
Or hoping

But one step at a time I think
I wouldn’t mind a day out as a drivers mate
In artic

That would do it for me
Anyone in the north east who is willing
And is able insurance etc to allow a passenger
Let me know
I’ll male local agency also

This will guide me or say no

Where a bouts in the North East are you

North east
Work North Shields
Weekends Teesside
Monday to Friday gateahead
Lol
Nothing easy with me

It is a piece of ■■■■ for us driving Gods.

If on face book there is a group North East truckers

Depends where about in Gateshead if you want to go out with someone there are a couple that might let you go or ask in group

You need to choose a trainer, stick with them, and follow the stages through.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Reversing a 45’ artic trailer is a lot easier than reversing a small box trailer or caravan behind a car, control wise. The longer the distance from the coupling point to the turning/pivot point (the trailer axles); the easier it is to control.

paulweller84:
Reversing a 45’ artic trailer is a lot easier than reversing a small box trailer or caravan behind a car, control wise. The longer the distance from the coupling point to the turning/pivot point (the trailer axles); the easier it is to control.

+1

Plus the more axles on the towed vehicle there are the easier it is (ie a twin axle trailer is a darn sight easier to reverse than a single axle trailer)

When I had my pre-assessment for my C+E, we did a reversing exercise, as the instructor said that your natural driving ability will be clearly reflected in your reversing, so it makes a big impact on how long they will recommend you need for training. I found reversing an artic to be MUCH easier than it looks, and once you start the reversing exercise correctly, you can just tease it in as steady as you like. There really was much less to it than I thought.

Like it’s been said, walk before you try to run: get your medical done, get your provisional, pass your theory test and hazard perception, pass your Cat C, then worry about how to reverse an artic. Every driver has been there, it’s like a right of passage :grimacing:

Due
To lots of negitive feedback on posts from another site
I’ve choose not to pursue the HGV
Seems like a jungle out there and very very few good positives
Towards HGV

So based on info won’t be going down that route
A little gutted
But not a wise move

So thanks all for your info it’s all been important to help make the right decision
Cheers