drop it right

Hi all — having not driven artics for very long, and within that only limited coupling/uncoupling requirements I have come to learn how krappy the test/training prepared me for this, particularly dropping suspension requirements :open_mouth:

Some q’s I have which I am hoping people can advise on (I have searched the site but couldn’t find exactly what I needed)

1.the other day it took ages to wind up/down legs, they were very very slow. I have come to learn there is a slow/high gear? I thought when you pull the handle out towards you that controls the height of the trailers i.e. making it higher or lower, and when the handle is fully in it will wind legs up and down. Is that correct? And is there then another gear to control how fast legs wind up and down?

2.Should I be dropping suspension fully down before uncoupling and then wind trailer legs down and pull away and raise tractor unit to normal level after driving off? Which in essence would mean when coupling up I drop tractor down to rock bottom before getting underneath and if trailer is too high lift tractor accordingly?

Any advice will be much appreciated from the experienced bunch. Thanks

pops if you pull the handle toward you, that will give you high gear and will move the legs quickly.Push the handle for low gear when some prat has left the trailer too high and you’re picking the trailer up.

When lowering, drop the legs till you have a clear space underneath about the height of your boot toe cap, then lower the suspension and drive out,then reset.

If somebody else leaves a trailer really high. Reverse underneath the trailer but short of the pin. Then pump up the rear suspension on the truck. That should lift the 5th wheel closer to the offending trailer.

Check the trailer brake is on. Connect the air lines and raise the trailer suspension until the trailer touches the 5th wheel plate like it’s supposed to. Then connect up like normal.

Don’t forget that modern 13.6m trailers flex at the front under heavy load so allow for that when you wind your legs down when you are dropping a trailer.

Good luck.

W

How long have you been driving Pops? Have you not completed your Dcpc! Or done any of the 7 hours yet?

been on rigids mainly, passed initial class 2 1999 so no need for DCPC until 2014

thanks for the advice all

Pops77:
been on rigids mainly, passed initial class 2 1999 so no need for DCPC until 2014

thanks for the advice all

No need for Dcpc till 2014! Mmhh! Why don’t you do the fleet operation one! Gives you 7 hours and will cover all the above! :wink:

i get moree DCPC on here than the classroom :smiley:

but yeh good idea, will look into

dessy:
How long have you been driving Pops? Have you not completed your Dcpc! Or done any of the 7 hours yet?

what good will that do when you can do a first aid course 5 times and be qualified for the DCPC, just because the relevant courses are there, does not mean that the driver will take them

as for the OP,

1.the other day it took ages to wind up/down legs, they were very very slow. I have come to learn there is a slow/high gear? I thought when you pull the handle out towards you that controls the height of the trailers i.e. making it higher or lower, and when the handle is fully in it will wind legs up and down. Is that correct? And is there then another gear to control how fast legs wind up and down?

which handle are you talking about? the winding handle on the landing legs or the air suspension handle?

the handle on the legs, pull all way out, high gear, push all way in low gear

the air suspension handle, pull out, will go to normal ride height, push in, move either forwards or backwards will either raise or lower the suspension of the trailer

2.Should I be dropping suspension fully down before uncoupling and then wind trailer legs down and pull away and raise tractor unit to normal level after driving off? Which in essence would mean when coupling up I drop tractor down to rock bottom before getting underneath and if trailer is too high lift tractor accordingly?

wind the legs all the way to the ground, pull the pin on fifth wheel, pull forwards to disengage the pin from the fifth wheel, lower suspension on unit, pull out from under trailer then reset unit suspension

to couple up, lower suspension first, reverse under trailer so that the plate is under, raise suspension to max, reverse to engage pin in fifth wheel, raise landing legs, reset suspension level, if needed, you can do what was sugested earlier if the trailer is still too high, ensure trailer brake is on, connect red air line, raise trailer suspension (will lower the front of the trailer) and then couple up

shuttlespanker:

dessy:

what good will that do when you can do a first aid course 5 times and be qualified for the DCPC, just because the relevant courses are there, does not mean that the driver will take them

as for the OP,

which handle are you talking about? the winding handle on the landing legs or the air suspension handle?

the handle on the legs, pull all way out, high gear, push all way in low gear

the air suspension handle, pull out, will go to normal ride height, push in, move either forwards or backwards will either raise or lower the suspension of the trailer

wind the legs all the way to the ground, pull the pin on fifth wheel, pull forwards to disengage the pin from the fifth wheel, lower suspension on unit, pull out from under trailer then reset unit suspension

to couple up, lower suspension first, reverse under trailer so that the plate is under, raise suspension to max, reverse to engage pin in fifth wheel, raise landing legs, reset suspension level, if needed, you can do what was sugested earlier if the trailer is still too high, ensure trailer brake is on, connect red air line, raise trailer suspension (will lower the front of the trailer) and then couple up

Couldn’t have said it better myself. Follow all that pop77 and you won’t go wrong. :slight_smile:

Rob, behave!!!

you are starting to worry me now, agreeing with me :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

dessy:

i just hope he was using both hands to wind the legs up,big no no, doing it one handed,know a driver who got a bollocking for slopiness :wink: :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I have just ranted on another thread about rubbish trainers giving rubbish training or in this case just enough to pass a test.

Things like the landing leg should have been covered in your training, a good trainer will cover more than just the need to pass a test, they should give you all the tools (or as many as possible) to go out and do a good job. Was you taught to blind side reverse? or at least told tips and tricks, was you told about pivot point of different trailers or how rear wheel steer works? loads and loads of training is missed and this is because anyone who has held their licence for 3 years can teach someone to drive a lorry. So not necessary a proper trainer. If you have complaints about your DCPC or initial training complain to the relevant authorities, DSA,JAUPT,RTITB etc etc get this scum out of my trade. I am not saying I am the best thing since sliced bread but I know my way around my industry and I know how to teach it I am also very passionate about what I and others like me do.

Long distance clara:
I have just ranted on another thread about rubbish trainers giving rubbish training or in this case just enough to pass a test.

Things like the landing leg should have been covered in your training, a good trainer will cover more than just the need to pass a test, they should give you all the tools (or as many as possible) to go out and do a good job. Was you taught to blind side reverse? or at least told tips and tricks, was you told about pivot point of different trailers or how rear wheel steer works? loads and loads of training is missed and this is because anyone who has held their licence for 3 years can teach someone to drive a lorry. So not necessary a proper trainer. If you have complaints about your DCPC or initial training complain to the relevant authorities, DSA,JAUPT,RTITB etc etc get this scum out of my trade. I am not saying I am the best thing since sliced bread but I know my way around my industry and I know how to teach it I am also very passionate about what I and others like me do.

nice rant 8.5/10 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

shuttlespanker:

Long distance clara:

he’s right though… :smiley:
just basic training enuf to pass test, no blind side tips, no how to open curtains, no how to manage ratchets, no how to use fuel cards blah blah blah…maybe these are now covered with new CPC but not back in the day…so does that mean CPC is a good thing… :laughing: best get outta here quick now i said that! :open_mouth:

pops, with a username such as “Long distance clara”, i would think it was not a HE, but more a SHE :wink:

Pops77:

shuttlespanker:

Long distance clara:

just basic training enuf to pass test, no blind side tips, no how to open curtains, no how to manage ratchets, no how to use fuel cards blah blah blah…maybe these are now covered with new CPC but not back in the day…so does that mean CPC is a good thing… :laughing: best get outta here quick now i said that! :open_mouth:

Seriously, to be trained in everything to do with HGV’s would take about 50yrs, where do you draw the line? trailer suspension? how to open and close different types of curtain siders, stretch / shrink trailers, rope and sheet etc etc etc.

You get tought to pass a test, then you’re free to learn what you need to know to do the job you want to do, I’ve no interest in roping and sheeting, so don’t really want to learn it, others may have no interest in HIABS and not want to learn that.

BUT, I’m sure you’re required to drop and pick up a trailer on your test, so do it the way you were tought.

I do it Shuttles way btw.

Pops77:

shuttlespanker:

Long distance clara:

Don’t worry mate,

I doubt you will find a DCPC Trainer who will teach you anything that useful.

When you get to a firm keep your head down and try to identify a sensible driver.

Such drivers tend not to have Curryhouse Curtains in their cab or finish their sentances with
“then I ■■■■■■■ told him to stick his ■■■■■■■ load”

This driver will be happy to show you the ropes because it will mean that he or she will not have to sort out your mistakes.

If you are told some gossip or rubbish drivers myth run it on TNUK just to check before you repeat it.

After that just go out and enjoy yourself.

Good luck again,

W

waynedl:

Pops77:

shuttlespanker:

Long distance clara:

Seriously, to be trained in everything to do with HGV’s would take about 50yrs, where do you draw the line? trailer suspension? how to open and close different types of curtain siders, stretch / shrink trailers, rope and sheet etc etc etc.

You get tought to pass a test, then you’re free to learn what you need to know to do the job you want to do, I’ve no interest in roping and sheeting, so don’t really want to learn it, others may have no interest in HIABS and not want to learn that.

BUT, I’m sure you’re required to drop and pick up a trailer on your test, so do it the way you were tought.

I do it Shuttles way btw.

I could not agree more about it would take 50 years to teach everything but, just a guess now but I bet the original poster was taught to pull away in third gear, I would then hazard a guess but I bet he was not told he could not do this when fully loaded or if the manufacturer says he can’t do it as it will void the warranty.

So teach to pass the test but add in the extras, that is what training is all about, pass the test but tips and tricks. I teach First Aid as well, show me a first aid book that says open your zip on the casualties coat put arm inside zip up gently and you have a sling, why use a bandage. if we were training to pass a test only it would be triangular bandage into a sling thats it. Tips and tricks (my new motto from know on :smiley: )

The biggest joke about the test is that you can pass in a wagon and drag and be certified to pull 45 foot trailers in a tractor unit having never driven such an outfit or coupled/uncoupled same. Madness.

Pops77:
just basic training enuf to pass test, no blind side tips, no how to open curtains, no how to manage ratchets, no how to use fuel cards blah blah blah…

Do you really need to be taught how to use a fuel card?!