I can't back on to a trailer straight!

Its probably really silly but 9 times out of 10 I can’t back on to a trailer straight, I always drop it low so when I pick it up the legs come straight off the ground early but it always kicks out abit. Has anyone got any tips to help me out?

Thanks very much, si.

Hi mate

Unfortunatly i cant give you any tips as im awaiting to start my class 1 training on Monday. I see your in Essex. what area?

When you drop the trailer do you have to drop or raise the air suspension on the tractor unit or just put the trailer legs down?

Sorry that ive stolen your post to ask you a question lol :blush:

Thanks
Ben

You want to slide into the trailer not lift it off the deck. That’s your problem right there.

Is it really as simple as that then?

Sorry mate I can’t give you any advice as I’m probably not doing it right myself.

I’m in saffron walden mate, where you? Who you on for?

Always drop or pick up a trailer just a teeny bit above your normal driving height.

With a lot of weight on the 5th wheel there is no real control over where the pin goes

Hi there Saaamon best advice I think is line the edge of unit mud guards with the side of the trailer then you know your nice and lined up drive under a bit usually you should lift the trailer a little as you go under unless it’s high on it’s legs.
If it’s low on it’s legs you won’t get under without dropping the suspension on the unit.
When under it before you go right back lift the suspension right up on the unit then drive back until you feel and hear the fifth wheel lock onto pin then you know the rest ie little forward to check won’t go any where and it is locked on then the KCALB procedure.
Hope this helps

If your backing up using the mirrors try sticking you head out the window if it’s a left /right prob. Or is prob a height issue?
With the cab suspension on equal (level travel) I usually wind the legs down all the way then back up 1 turn - then lower down trailer on the cab suspension.
On coupling up I start with the cab suspension on level.
You could back up to trailer - then park unit - then get out and have a look at situation.

You could back up to trailer - then park unit - then get out and have a look at situation.

…which is the reason this is the procedure taught for the driving test! It’s important to stick to what you were taught. There’s good safety reasons for it all. Recently there was a guy with 30+ years experience crushed when he connected red air line as he’d not checked trailer brake and also left unit park brake off. He’s still in an induced coma - so these things really do matter.

Sorry, it wasn’t meant to turn into a rant!! Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

…which is the reason this is the procedure taught for the driving test! It’s important to stick to what you were taught. There’s good safety reasons for it all. Recently there was a guy with 30+ years experience crushed when he connected red air line as he’d not checked trailer brake and also left unit park brake off. He’s still in an induced coma - so these things really do matter.

Sorry, it wasn’t meant to turn into a rant!! Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Did he jump off then Pete? If he had already connected the pin, surely just pulling the red line out again would have saved a lot of heartache? :question:

Thanks for all the responses. I’ve started getting out now to check that the unit is straight with trailer just before I go under and not dropping the trailer as low now and seems to have sorted it. Think one of my problems was sticking my head out the window instead of using both mirrors. And yes I always make doublely sure the trailer brake is on and the unit brake is on.