Dropping off a trailer

you’ll have to excuse me, I’ve only done this 3 times including the test.

first you stop, apply the handbrake, stop the engine.

pull on the trailer brake (are they always the pull on type? do any operate on a lever or other system?)

wind down the legs until they are about an inch from the ground.

unhook the suzies and stow away.

unhook the clip, pull the Handel and take off the number plate.

anyone got anything to add, have I missed anything?

hooking up a trailer is the same in reverse, but I always seem to end up fumbling for 10 minutes with the clip. is there an easy way to locate the hole for the clip to go in? some secret truckers trick I wasn’t taught?

Why do you leave the leg’s an inch off the ground?

just the way I was taught. when you pick the trailer back up, it lifts the legs then if you’re a bit out of line it will shift sideways and not drag the legs across the tarmac ripping it up. probably a training school thing.

Hi ya pal, a few of us had quite a ding dong a couple of months back on this topic.

Enjoy! :smiley:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=133288

If you are leaving lugs up an inch , remember to use air suspension when pulling out to protect landing legs damage?

Sounds like a pile of ■■■■■■■■ to me. Simply wind the leg’s fully down, and try and give the handle another full rotation. If it’s a bit heavy, or there is a shortage of decent gym’s in your area, simply select low range and give it a couple of winds.

When you then drive out with your unit, it shouldn’t drop and damage your mudguards. If you have a heavy loaded trailer, you should always gently lower your air suspension as you come out of it, as the trailer will drop a good few inches, and WILL smack your mudguards.

Make sure your air suspension is level when you drop your trailer. Nothing worse than a trailer dropped too low, or too high.

I haven’t experienced any trailers that DONT have a push/pull trailer brake. But one of our older/more experienced guy’s may shed some light on this.

Don’t forget to also sneer at inferior class 2 drivers now, it is your duty as a CE driving God!

B -brake
L -legs
A -airlines
C - clip (chain)
K - kingpin

Backwards for putting trailer on :wink:

BLACK. ( YT has forgotten the kingpin release handle ).

No more Sat nights out in Hull for you pal.

eagerbeaver:
BLACK. ( YT has forgotten the kingpin release handle ).

No more Sat nights out in Hull for you pal.

Don’t know what you mean mate :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Lol!! El rapido edit…

Nice touch pal.

eagerbeaver:
Lol!! El rapido edit…

Nice touch pal.

:wink: just aswell I’m off today aye… Or a trailer would be on its nose and I’d have me head in my hands, thinking how can I pin this on another driver haha

thanks all, some good points there beaver :slight_smile:

is there some trick to getting the chain on? I always end up fumbling with it for ages at arms length, I can’t do it with a glove on either, I have to take my glove off and feel around for the hole. there must be an easier way, or does it just come with time?

jbaz73:
is there some trick to getting the chain on? I always end up fumbling with it for ages at arms length, I can’t do it with a glove on either, I have to take my glove off and feel around for the hole. there must be an easier way, or does it just come with time?

The set up for the dog clip who is normally the same as the locking clip to move the 5th wheel back and forward. So if it’s got a movable 5th wheel, look at that first! :smiley:

jbaz73:

I find the hole my pot luck… Especially when I’m spannered :wink:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Cant remember the year it changed, but we used to have ratchet cable trailer brakes. These were generally located just in front of the leading axle on the left side of the chassis.

I think they’re probably a bit of a rare beast now though, so don’t worry too much.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Working at a Ro-Ro, we never used the trailer brakes.

Peter Smythe:
Cant remember the year it changed, but we used to have ratchet cable trailer brakes. These were generally located just in front of the leading axle on the left side of the chassis.

I think they’re probably a bit of a rare beast now though, so don’t worry too much.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Place I worked at in the warehouse had 10 old nails of trailers with ratchet brakes. Horrible in the winter and a pig when the handles snapped!

Different manufacturers of fifth wheel have slightly different locations for the dog clip hole. You will find it will mainly clip in horizontally or sometimes vertically. It’s a case at this time of year of getting your head under with a torch.

There is no special ’ technique ’ mate, you will soon get the hang of it. Some also have a wire on a spring loaded latch, so as you pull the handle, you will also need to pull the wire at the same time to release the kingpin.