Driving with lowloader?

morning all…
start new job in couple weeks driving lowloader,not done this but up for the challenge,can anyone tell me what(if any)differences there are to driving with normaltrl pls,many thanks,del72

del72:
morning all…
start new job in couple weeks driving lowloader,not done this but up for the challenge,can anyone tell me what(if any)differences there are to driving with normaltrl pls,many thanks,del72

watch out for speed bumps :exclamation: :wink: :laughing: :grimacing:

And high kerbs :blush:

and if you fall off the back it doesnt hurt as much :laughing:

Congratulations welcome to the elite ! ! What sort of trailer ? ramps, knock out neck or special types ? Jim

JFC999:
Congratulations welcome to the elite ! ! What sort of trailer ? ramps, knock out neck or special types ? Jim

i thought that title was reserved for tippers :question: :confused: :confused:

be more concerned about what you may be asked to load :slight_smile:

d4c24a:
be more concerned about what you may be asked to load :slight_smile:

Exactly d4…you gotta learn to move alot of different sorts of machinery, but most places are happy to help out, we all know that someone out there has “been there, done it and got the t-shirt” this person is the one to ask, don’t be afraid to ask for help.
I am not a Lowloader driver I know but I do move alot of plant machinery. My advice would be
Keep 2 pairs of boots in truck, 1 for clean work 1 for sites, the same with work kit :wink:
“collect” as many machine keys as you can :wink:
When driving machines on, take ya time, look at it, get to ramp, check again, and when YOU are happy get it on there. :wink:
Securing stuff down is easy enough, when I aint sure I ask the machine operator where he would like me to run the chains across/from. Then you got an idea :wink:

Make sure that you are happy with operating the machine at ground level before attempting to load it. Trying to figure out how to stop it from sliding, tipping or otherwise trying to kill you when you’re already committed to it is too late.

On a stepframe plant trailer it will usually have a longer wheelbase than an equal length flat or box, with the axles right at the back it will behave slightly differently to a conventional trailer when reversing etc. Our’s has a steering third axle, which is handy as it keeps it all tidy when going forwards. When you reverse it locks in the straight position, this is an arse because if you try something tight the axle will help you right up until the point you get into muddle. Only now you have to lock it to reverse and the traileris less responsive than it was. It’s only happened to me once and somehow I figured it out though. As for other differences I dunno as apart from doing my test I’ve neve pulled a conventional trailer.

Get a good tape measure and carry a feet to meters conversion chart, the height of the load can vary depending on how it is loaded and how many pieces of equipment you have. I carry about 70 keys for various kit and a good heavy duty set of jump leads. Always chain front and back ( stretching the machine) if on wheels and try not to chain over tracks as it can bend the top rollers if too tight. Take it slowly on corners and roundabouts and watch out if you have a wide load, They still don’t see you coming even with beacons and headligts on.
What combination are you driving?, and who are you working for. If you need to know anything don’t be too proud to ask. Good luck.

Get yourself a shovel as most machines drivers these days dont bother cleaning the tracks out and you dont want to be driving down the road with crap falling off the trailer. A short chain and shackle helps if your loading buckets and breakers, and a set of jump leads as your bound to pick something up that dosent start. Oh yeah if your moving plant with a set of cab guards in a rack make sure there secured as you dont want to be watching them fly off on the M25 like my mate on tuesday :laughing:

Like the one about the vandal guards monkey man Ive forgotten them before its embarassing ! If the machine has mirrors pull them in its easy to break them otherwise. I always chain 360 ,s over tracks it doesnt seem to hurt anything question of choice i suppose . If your moving any 360 around 20 tonne weight you will find it will be over 3m wide but nobody ever seems to worry about movement orders. If anythings over 3m i use outriggers.

And have your ‘look at me lights’ on all the time even when not long or wide. :smiley: