Low-loader regs

Hi guys, wonderin if you’ll be able to help me out :slight_smile:

Once i’ve obtained my class one tickets, i want to become a low-loader driver just like me step-dad :slight_smile:. However, there appears to be some confusion on the rules & regs regarding low-loaders.

I know from my own personal experience workin as an engineer that you cant even wipe your own ■■■ wivout the appropriate paperwork, so where do low-loader drivers stand when it comes to loading plant on the trailer■■?

I’ve read elsewhere that the driver can drive the machines onto the trailer but isn’t allowed to operate them. Surely driving the plant would constitute operating it■■?

My step-dad has all the required licenses for driving all types of plant but quite a few of the other drivers he works with don’t. Now, there hasn’t been any problem so far, but, in the event of, for example, a driver driving a 360 deg. digger (without specific license) swings the boom round and hits something with it then where would the driver stand?? I would imagine that both the HSE and the insurance company would both say that the driver wasn’t qualfied for driving said plant and would to refuse to pay out and both the driver and company would face possible prosecution from the HSE■■?

I know you guys are always on the ball so look forward to your responses. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :wink: :wink:

i think it comes under the heading of “vehicles used for very short distances on public roads” which is shown on your licence as category ‘n’ which we all have.

You still need to be covered by valid insurance though.

Not quite the same but just to give you an idea…

Last year the agency put me into a company that hires out powered access equipment. (scissor lifts and cherry pickers) my job was delivery of these items on a sliding flatbed volvo.

For the first 3 days I had to have a member of the workshop staff accompany me because I wasn’t allowed to operate the plant. Not sure if it was company policy or insurance or what.

on the thursday I was sent on a course to get the appropriate ticket (at the agy expense). I now have a 5 year mewps ticket from a 2 week job :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I hope this helps