Driving through puddles

i may be wrong but i think its in the highway code somewhere??

paul

the highway code says “you MUST show due consideration to other road users”

“Failing to show due consideration to other road users” is what he would have been done for.

Yes if it was done to a member of the public ‘and they reported it’ i’m sure the driver would have received the same punishment.

You just keep an eye out for these things when you’re driving and either slow up and go through them or avoid them. Same as when you driving through town with lots of pedestrians on the footpath, you dont just go along whaking their heads with the mirror arms. It might be fun but it is illegal and inconsiderate.

dennisw1:
Same as when you driving through town with lots of pedestrians on the footpath, you dont just go along whaking their heads with the mirror arms. It might be fun but it is illegal and inconsiderate.

Now that I find funny pmsl … I have this vision of you, Dennis, cackling with manic glee every time you hit a pedestrian round the back of the head! I just know you have had your mirror arms extended lolol

from the report i read he soaked the wpc went and did a drop of plasterboard and was arrested on his way back

MUPPET

he couldn’t find another way round :unamused:

Whatever it was, it is still classed as driving without due care and attention! It didnt help the tossers case when she saw him grinning as he soaked her.

I reckon he got off lightly,

can you imagine the stick the police woman is going to get now

policewoman (insert name ) wets her knickers everytime ,a grinning
truck driver comes close… just to save him the bother

dennisw1:
Same as when you driving through town with lots of pedestrians on the footpath, you dont just go along whaking their heads with the mirror arms. It might be fun but it is illegal and inconsiderate.

Yeah, very funny DennisW1, conjours up a lovely mental picture :smiley:
Phil

HAIRYGORILLA:
can you imagine the stick the police woman is going to get now

policewoman (insert name ) wets her knickers everytime ,a grinning
truck driver comes close… just to save him the bother

Yes, you could easily see her work mates winding her up with that one.

On the original post though, the driver was clearly a prat and deserved it.

I have to say, I’ve done something similar.
Driving through East Kilbride after a rain storm at school chucking out time, heading for the Whirlies roundabout from the old Gateway RDC direction.
A bit before the school there was a big puddle and a young lad having a great laugh jumping over the wave and splash made by the cars passing through. I blew the horn and made, “get out of the way” motions with my arm. I saw the grin on his face get even bigger and he shook his head at me. So I just kept her going. The look of horror that appeared on his face when my wave came at him was fantastic to watch. He jumped as high as he could, but from a standing jump, couldn’t clear 4 foot. He was absolutely soaked from head to foot and there were plenty of witnesses who saw me try to warn him and saw his refusal. I bet his mum gave him hell :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

splashing a pedestrian is classed as assault heard it on radio ages ago. puddle was only small probaly and she probaly got wet tights slightly marked. but being a lorry easy nick. now if it had been a lake and she was drenched well i`d stand 5points for that wot a hoot hahaha.

I once saw a coach give a soaking to a pedestrian on the A4 in Taplow Maidenhead. Was on my to work one fine summers morning behind said coach and we came upon a puddle that must of been a good 40 or 50 feet long across both sides of the road pedestrian was about half way along this puddle, the coach driver did slow down but not enough, the wave created soaked the poor man on the pavement and I was genuinly sorry for his predicament soaking wet and on his way to work or home on foot but I nearly crashed the car laughing it was the look of shock, amazement, horror, fear and every other emotion that crossed his face all at the same time that did it to me, If that man is reading this now I am sorry I laughed at you that morning and didn’t stop but I was late and the boss at the time was a right &%$

This is another case of a points happy country giving incredibly excessive punishments to the most minor infringements. As for him smiling, I suppose there was actually proof of this? After all, I know that if I got soaked, I might feel pretty annoyed and probably quite stupid and it doesn’t take that much imagination to think that some people in that situation may tart up the details abit to get a prosecution so the driver didn’t get away with humiliating her. 5 points for driving through a puddle, nearly half way to losing your livelyhood, how insane! I pray that the day I get out of this lunatic asylum isn’t to far away!

only because it was a copper, thats why it was so excessive robin! the lunatics have been running this asylum a good while mate!

Always makes me laugh with these posts, the number of people who complain when a lorry driver gets punished for doing something clearly wrong/illegal.

So it’s ok to drive like a ■■■■ if you’re an HGV driver, but if a car driver does the same everyone on here moans about them.

and you wonder why the public hate lorry drivers…

dennisw1:
Always makes me laugh with these posts, the number of people who complain when a lorry driver gets punished for doing something clearly wrong/illegal.

So it’s ok to drive like a [zb] if you’re an HGV driver, but if a car driver does the same everyone on here moans about them.

What nonsense. It doesn’t take much for a truck or any vehicle to make a splash out of the tiniest bit of a puddle, unless we are to slow down to walking pace for every suspect patch of water that may be deep enough to cause a splash we can never know, or do you only drive on dry days?

it’s common sense if there is a puddle at the side of the road with people next to it, you dont just belt through it. If you’re not capable of avoiding it or atleast slowing down then you need to take driving lessons. because i’ve never splashed anyone.

there you go yet another lorry driver who gives us all a bad name. :unamused:

This wasn’t a small puddle at the side of the road that he didn’t notice, it was a flood of about 2 ft of water. He also really couldn’t miss the officer as she had her Hi Viz on and from the report we could also assume there were stranded cars in the flood. The speed was considered to be about 25-30mph.

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/viewarticle.aspx?id=321792

robinhood_1984:

dennisw1:

So it’s ok to drive like a [zb] if you’re an HGV driver, but if a car driver does the same everyone on here moans about them.

What nonsense. It doesn’t take much for a truck or any vehicle to make a splash out of the tiniest bit of a puddle, unless we are to slow down to walking pace for every suspect patch of water that may be deep enough to cause a splash we can never know, or do you only drive on dry days?

Sorry, but it’s not hard to steer around an obviously large puddle or slow down through it when there are people stood at the side of the road. I do, no problem at all. It’s called good driving practice.

That middle pedal is a wonderful thing. Saves you from getting points in all kinds of ways. :wink:

TheBear:

dennisw1:

Now that I find funny pmsl … I have this vision of you, Dennis, cackling with manic glee every time you hit a pedestrian round the back of the head! I just know you have had your mirror arms extended lolol

I had a friend killed this way,was hit by a lorry mirror,it knocked him to the ground and fractured his skull and he died on the side of the road.So sorry I dont find this FUNNY.A wet policewoman is not so serious there must be plenty around.cheers Joe.

dennisw1:

i dont wonder at all, since when did the public not hate lorry drivers? anyway, the public mostly hate lorry drivers because we exist, they dont need much of a reason really!

Christopher Pearson went through the water so fast that it caused a wave which drenched the officer, who was standing on an embankment on the outskirts of Carlisle.

That must have been some wave he caused.

She had been helping motorists who were stranded in a stretch of around 90ft of flooding near The Knells, Scaleby, on October 24.

He drove at speed through almost 30 metres of flood water? :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Police said the road was clearly signposted with flood danger warnings.

Seems he wasn’t paying much attention then.

Pearson, of Maryport Court, in Currock, Carlisle, pleaded guilty to driving without due care and attention.

And that was what he was charged with.

Pearson was fined £150, ordered to pay £35 court costs and had his driving licence endorsed with five penalty points.

Seems he actually got off quite lightly, you’ve got to ask your self if this guy is safe out on the road. He seems totally unaware the effect deep water can have on the handling of a vehicle and seems not to give a toss about fellow road users.
I have a feeling if the original post had been about a car driver then many of the responses would have taken a different tone and I can see nothing unfair about the way this guy was treated.

All the time we are doing our job we have to adapt and react to the conditions, be they weather, traffic or whatever and even someone with half a brain and not much observation must be able to tell the difference between normal surface water and deep water that is a hazard. What do you do when you encounter any hazard on the road, you take appropriate action and deep water is a hazard.