driving school

I know there are a few GURU’s on here, can you help? I’m thinking of opening a driving school. Can anyone tell me if i need a ops licence and things and would it honestly be worth it? :smiley:

You’ll need you DIA badge to charge pupils.

I suspect you are training HGVs rather than learners in cars.

If its the learner in a car dont bother , too many operations out there offering lesson at a tenner an hour.

I couldn’t comment on HGV profitability but think you’d need an ops licence and then a vehicle ( obvious) and the necesary insurances too.

Could you alos do CPC as amn add on to the business

where are you?

ring a company who are nowhere near you. if they know you aren’t competition they will probably let you know all the info you need.

i know a very good friendly guy if you don’t live in the westcountry.

mucker85:
where are you?

ring a company who are nowhere near you. if they know you aren’t competition they will probably let you know all the info you need.

i know a very good friendly guy if you don’t live in the westcountry.

Im in Merseyside, waiting for pt 3 adi to come through to get me onto fleet, and got part 1 lgv test booked to get me onto the register, got ptlls course booked for january in order for cpc delivery etc so i’m pretty much clued up on what i need to do training and qualifications wise i’m just a bit unsure as to the ops licences etc, insurance, tax and all that stuff i’m ok on, don’t think its nothing a quick call to vosa couldn’t sort out really but thought i would ask the most learned kids on here. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

give steve robertson, SRTS in exeter a ring. top bloke, very knowledgeable. he must be good, i got my PCV and class 1 with him.01392 46 2000
01392 430 751 he’s been doing it many years so knows all of what needs to be done.

Yes, you would need a restricted O licence.

No O licence needed at all

Might be worth reading this:
hgvlgvtraining.co.uk/blog/20 … transport/

It appears you didn’t need an O’licence, but that might or might not have changed.

I suppose the best person to give a definitive answer on the current situation would be one of our resident driving instructors, but I do know that driving schools were having to apply for them.

Thanks again fellas.
I’ll do all thats mentioned :smiley:

I apologise if thats not right but I never had O licence, but I been out of the game nearly five years now

Harry Monk:
I suppose the best person to give a definitive answer on the current situation would be one of our resident driving instructors, but I do know that driving schools were having to apply for them.

I think they were concerned they were going to have to apply for one when/if rules about carrying a load on test vehicles came in. I don’t think either has happened yet.

See here commercialmotor.com/latest-n … e-loophole

An O licence is required to,

use a goods vehicle on a road for the carriage of goods–
(a)for hire or reward, or
(b)for or in connection with any trade or business carried on by him,

so not needed by a driving school.

Coffeeholic:
An O licence is required to,

use a goods vehicle on a road for the carriage of goods–
(a)for hire or reward, or
(b)for or in connection with any trade or business carried on by him,

so not needed by a driving school.

Thanking you …AGAIN! :laughing: :laughing: :smiley: :smiley:

No “O” licence, but you do need three years passed on your HGV/PSV licence before you can teach. You do not need to be an ADI to teach, but it is a good idea to “volunteer” to pass the exams. It’s the same as a car, three parts, and normally three attempts at the final exam. :open_mouth: (from experience!)
You’d need a suitable vehicle with a splitter box, extra mirrors. I think, but stand to be corrected, the vehicle will need to be loaded for training soon. For a PSV it needs to be at least 10m long. Your choice if you want to offer +E, whether it’s wagon and drag or a real trailer. :stuck_out_tongue:
Insurance might be cheap as you’ll be an ADI, it is for my car. (£240 any driver, fully comp)
direct.gov has a shed load of info.
Any questions, drop me a PM.
Cheers
Paul