driver training

hi everyone, :slight_smile:
I am 45 yr old female about to embark on driver training and fulfill a life long dream. Want to do my C and C+E. I have 2 questions actually and appologise in advance if they have been asked before.
I was about to use Advantage HGV (either Southampton or Portsmouth) but can anyone rec or have any views on who I should use?
Also I have a medical problem which will inhibate what I can and cant do physicaly, regarding loading/unloading and securing, what sort of driving job should I look for?
Thanx for any help :smiley:

Welcome to the Mad house

Have you passed your medical yet and do you have your licence back from DVLA as at present they are taken there time with them

It depends on what your medical condition is as to what work you could do but possibly look at Containers, Tankers ( you may need ADR) Fridges

Good luck

Sorry I cant help with the training school

Welcome :smiley: I’m sure ROG will be along soon with his usual posts of much information :stuck_out_tongue: That guy is a legend

**:D :smiley: :smiley: Welcome clairabel :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:**

If you click the link in my signature it will lead you to an index where you can access a lot of info which may be of use to you :smiley: :smiley:

ADVANTAGE LGV TRAINING

Smart Mart:
As far as I know Advantage do not have any vehicles or trainers of there own. I think that they just take your money and send you to one of their so called ‘partner’ companies. These partner companies are usually any training company that they can get to do your training, and Advantage charge you and they employ other companies. So IMHO its best to cut out the middleman.
Much better that you find your own local company.

BELOW IS A FIRST POST TODAY FROM Mickey250

Mickey250:
Hi Guys,

Just started the ball rolling to get my class C licence. I have got my medical booked on wednesday so fingers crossed.

I am going through Tyne & Wear LGV up in Jarrow, they seem to get good reviews from people on here. I was going to go through advanced HGV until i read a few things on here and decided against it.

I am new to all this but I must say this site is brilliant with all the information available to read and from people who obvisously know what they are talking about.

Keep up the good work guys.

To book any LGV training I suggest the trainee-to-be, visits the training school, meets the head person(s) and has a quick look at the truck BEFORE parting with any money.

Using the site Search facility at the top of this page and putting the words TRAINING AND WHERE you wish to train may turn up some recommendations. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

GENERAL DRIVING TIPS BEFORE STARTING LGV C TRAINING

A number of LGV instructors, myself included, are finding that the general driving standard of many trainees coming to do their LGV ‘C’ course is not at a very high standard.
I have had a number who ‘THINK’ they are good but find myself having to go ‘BACK TO BASICS’ before they can really start learning how to handle a truck.
For the trainee this means wasted time on the course and that means that the trainee is paying good money to be taught how to drive again :exclamation:

There are a number of things that a driver can do before starting their first LGV training course to improve their general driving.

The obvious ones are to practise the DSA procedures, which could mean losing the rear view mirror, and then, every time to set off, doing the mirror, mirror, blind spot routine. Checking BOTH side mirrors before moving within the lane you are in, signalling or before the increasing & decreasing of your speed.

The less obvious is to practise forward planning — the THINKING bit.

A good way of doing this is to use your brakes a lot less than what you do at present — sounds daft but think about it — to use the brakes less then you will have to ease off earlier — to ease off earlier you will have to plan ahead more.
I don’t mean by changing down through the gearbox either as that will waste fuel.
A good example would be when approaching a queue of standing traffic, which is waiting for traffic lights to change or waiting to enter a roundabout.
The moment you see the queue, check mirrors and ease off in the gear you are in. let the vehicle slow down on it’s own, dipping the clutch as necessary to control any possible stalling. If the vehicle gets to the lowest gear speed (usually first gear) then engage that gear.
If, whilst easing off, you anticipate that the traffic is going to proceed, then engage the gear that will take you with them without rushing up to the rear of the queue.
You will be leaving a large area of tarmac in front of your vehicle when you ease off early. If another vehicle goes into the gap then re-adjust to accommodate it. If you curse at the vehicle that went into your forward space then decide if a few feet of tarmac is worth getting stressed over!!

When following other traffic, do you touch your brakes when they touch theirs? — If yes, then you are too close. Back off so that you can ease off without the use of brakes. Again, this requires a good deal of forward planning, which will be very useful when you drive a truck.

The general idea is to never stop but to keep moving forward even if at a very slow pace.

If you have to use the brakes then plan to use them gradually. Start by taking up the play of the pedal then resting the weight of your foot & leg on the pedal. That is then followed by squeezing down onto the pedal and squeeze down to a depth that will do the job during the middle of your braking so that you can ease off the pedal well before you actually need to come to a stop.

Hello…and welcome… :slight_smile:

Have a look at this link…make up your own mind :wink:
trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=33702

Like ROG says, do a search of your local area and see what turns up, then search them in our forums to see what(if anything) has been said about them…

Good luck.

many thanks for the replies, most helpful. will keep you posted

Hi and welcome,I passed with Zenith down in lee on solent,a couple of others on here did as well,we all found them really good,I also did hiab with them (helped me get the job I have now )
If you dont mind me asking,what sort of restriction are you talking about,I deliver storage containers etc and its not a heavy job but does involve climbing on top of the boxes.
If you want any more info regarding Zenith just ask.
Simon :smiley:

Hi there Clairabel and welcome to trucknet.
I can only repeat what has already been said and advise you not to go through a driving agency and to go directly to a good LGV driving school with a good name. Deal direct and dont get ripped off.
I dont know anything about the driving schools in your area so cannot recommend any by I am sure that there will be plenty of guys on here who can point you in the right direction.
As for having a physical problem - that should not make any difference.
Check here
truckstopnews.co.uk/issues.a … =65&Page=1
and read the Against All Odds article in the top left corner.
This guy is now driving an artic and loving his job and can handle it well.
As a lady driver myself I always stuck to my own golden rule and made sure I did not apply for a job I could not handle.
Always see what the job entails. Some jobs are simply driving jobs and dont involve any heavy work so that would be fine for you.
Pallette work is best as there are fork lift drivers to load and unload.
Class 1 work is often less heavy than class 2 work funnily enough. Lots of class 2 drivers are expected to handball loads whereas artic work is usually pallette work.
Let us know how you get on and good luck with both the training and the job search.

<<< Used Zenith Driver Training for my Cat. C, C+E and A (yes, they do Motorcycle courses as well!). The best instructor down there, if he’s still there, is a chap called Colin - he’s got 20+ years experience towing trailers of loads of varieties. He’ll get anyone through and he’s very down-to-earth!

They have their own Manoeuvring Area on their site and it’s off-road so no public to worry about.

Personally I’d use them,

Richard
:slight_smile:

Zenith it is then.
Thank you everyone for all your help. I have emphysema so would be unable to climb about on the trailer or man handle, but you have all been great. Cant wait for prov to come back and get theory booked.
Once again thanxs will keep you all posted :smiley:

clairabel,

i also used Zenith and could not fault them at all. the equipment is a bit old but reliable, i passed both my C and C+E first time with them.

here is my diary on my training for C+E

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=32573

good luck for your courses