Starting Up a HGV Driving School

Just running this past you lot.
We are considering re-locating outside London and were thinking of starting up a new HGV (LGV) driving school.
Within the London area there are dozens of schools, most of which we have both worked for at some time or another, and to be frank we are getting very dissilusioned with the standard of training on offer.
We were seriously considering starting up elsewhere offerring a good training service at reasonable prices using decent vehicles.
What we would like to know, and get some feedback from, is where there may be an area that is short of such a service.
We were hoping to look around the Northampton/Peterborough area but dont know if those areas are well served with driver training facilities already.
Any feedback or comments would be most appreciated.

Can’t swing a cat without hutting a driving school truck.

There are at least 3/4 companies covering the Peterborough area. I personally used a company “Apex TRaining SErvices”. I found them to be reasonably priced, and used fairly good equipment. SinceI lef they have upgraded from FL10 to FH12’s. And we used to pull 45’ boxes around. Can’t faulty them really, although I nkow some of the other firms in the area take people in for artic tests in a 10 ton flat with a flat draw bar…

I went with Apex in Northampton and Peterborough, they were quite good but I do think who you get to teach you makes a big difference.

Agree with the comments about Peterborough - there seems to be loads of training companies in the area.

Only today I saw two motors on ‘L’ plates I’d not noticed before on the Peterborough circuit. A Scania P94 rigid, and a fairly new DAF 95XF SC pulling a 44’ triaxle trailer. Both were unmarked, so either they were private entrants, a new organisation, or an existing company that has just upgraded and not had chance to put their livery on them yet.

I had to go to the Peterborough vehicle testing station the other week and had a wander over to the driving test waiting area to spend a penny. (It’s all on one site). I overheard a conversation about a student who was out on test, between two instructors.

One said to the other ‘this is the blokes third test, and he’s going to fail it. If you haven’t passed by your third go, you should realise you’re no bloody good - why keep going?’

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I was speechless. And I know who he worked for - one of the larger, supposedly better training companies.

Hmm so Peterborough has a few schools already has it.
Thanks for the info guys but…

and to be frank we are getting very dissilusioned with the standard of training on offer.

as to the overheard conversation between instructors - I rest my case!

You have PM!! :sunglasses: