Driving over 10 hrs

With regards to a post sent by a rmower on the safety and legalities titled driving over 10 hrs ,I regret to inform you that the 2 drivers who he was talking about both drove over their time. I work with rmower and was off on friday when the incident took place but was told about it from himself. It appears that the assistant manager at work who( holds the o licence but is not the transport manager as such) rang the drivers in question up and told them to bring back the loads and he would wright them a note to cover them. Now are you as shocked as me by this? its not like being at school and getting a note from your mum or dad to excuse you from pe. These guys continued to drive back to base going well over their time. I think one of them was close to 11hrs! There were numurous places for them to stop on the way and it seems now that our company thinks its above the law which I know it aint!! We warned that this might happen and on friday it finally did, but because of the value of the load work had nobody to trailer swap with the drivers so told them to continue back with it. I am really angry about this and just hope they try to tell me to do the same if it happens again to which I will them to shove it! What do you think about this and more importantly should I get involved in any of it. I know that I wouldn’t do it no matter what so should I get involved in what has gone on. Needless to say I am disgusted by our firm for doing this. Cheers , looking forward to your commenmts :angry: :angry: :angry:

The max daily driving is just that it can only be exceeded under exceptional circumstances. If the drivers do get caught then they might be able to plead mitigating circumstances, i.e. The load is of high value and they needed to find secure parking.
I assume this is a regular trip as you thought it would happen, so your company really needs to find suitable parking on route to avoid this happening or make sure there is a driver available for trailer changes. It seems another case of companies taking work without planning and then putting the pressure on the drivers to get the job done when it goes belly-up.

Thats right muckles, it is a regular trip. There are 2 or 3 runs everyday from rotherham to southhampton and back so you can imagine its quite easy to run out of driving time if anything goes wrong. Its not my ptoblem if I cant get back due to running out of time because I have done my bit. Its then left uptpo work to arrange for something to be done about it. The way I see it is nothing is more valuable than someones life! I am just dissapointed that the 2 drivers involved would be stupid enought to risk doing what they did. :frowning:

Its not my ptoblem if I cant get back due to running out of time because I have done my bit.

Youre in the right 100%, and thats all you have to do, just say no. Ive had loads of them try it on over the years, and firms where blokes would do all types of daft things like that because theyre either allergic to nights out, or just aint got any backbone at all, If they ever said to me well, so and so does it, Id say, well they aint me tough.

Mal.

i find it hard to belive that there are still companys that plan a days work around a 10 hour drive.i mean fair enough if you have to go into a 10 but for the office to plan it that way.

absolute madness.

jon

I WOULD HAVE SHOPPED THEM BY NOW TO THE MINESTREY… :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Mop`n bucket outfit.com:wink:

To be honest tony, I have and I think if it happens again I will. I have thought about calling them anyway because there are a few other matters that I want to clear up with regards what 2 of the drivers are doing. for example, after doing their days work, then taking a vehicle for service and then bringing one back without a tacho in! in some instances this amounts to about 5 hrs driving if they have driven back from somewhere and its taken them 4 hrs. ie half an hour to doncaster and half an hour back and they insist they dont need a tacho because they are taking it for service. This cant be right and none of the other drivers do it. :imp:

TIDYCAB:
they insist they dont need a tacho because they are taking it for service. This cant be right and none of the other drivers do it. :imp:

It’s not right and they do need a disc in for those journeys. They may be ‘confused’ :unamused: by this exemption from the regulations and think it applies to them, it doesn’t.

“Vehicles undergoing road tests for technical development, repair or maintenance purposes, and new or rebuilt vehicles which have not yet been put into service.”

They are not undergoing road testing on the way to and from servicing so this exemption doesn’t apply.