Driving Licences

My driving licence is away having an endorsement put on it.

Before I sent it I colour photocopied both parts and also the letter from the filth, what does the team think the reaction would be if I was stopped in France or Spain without the originals, just photocopies?

Any excuse to take money off you i reckon mate. TBH all they ever want is the card so the letters/paper copies will not be of any interest to them imo.

I remember this question being asked a few months ago …

… I’m sure most said that you need the original when driving outside the UK

Certainly as far as Spain is concerned you would be looking at a hefty fine if controlled and unable to produce the original.

Sorry Harry,

I tend to agree with the rest of the guys on this one…
I honestly don’t think you’ll get away with photocopies if you get pulled into a control.

I wish it were otherwise, but we all know how much the foreign enforcement agencies like to relieve us of cash. :frowning:

There are a couple of ways around this depending on how holier than thou one is.

1. Apply claiming your license is lost therefore having a duplicate on hand.

2. If you have access to a decent colour photocopier you would be quite pleased at the results.

In an ideal world the DVLA would give you a reciept stating that they have your license in a few different languages.

turnip:
Any excuse to take money off you i reckon mate. TBH all they ever want is the card so the letters/paper copies will not be of any interest to them imo.

Had the same thing with a Dutch driver here in Spain and with the copy and an accompanying letter it was not a problem

Vascoingles:

turnip:

Had the same thing with a Dutch driver here in Spain and with the copy and an accompanying letter it was not a problem

Was the letter in spanish ■■ And where did he get it ? was it from his company or an official letter from the licensing authority ?

you could always report it stolen as you enter each country, then you will have a letter from the country’s police as to why you don’t have your licence with you, if you got stopped you could just say to them “if you spent more time reducing crime instead of harassing truck drivers I would still have my licence” :smiling_imp: