Driving Instruction!

A quick question for Rog and theother instructors…

Can i accompany (sit in the passenger seat) a provisional LGV learner driver, on the road, with LGV learner plates up if we both work for the same company and we are driving a company vehicle??

Answers on a postcard pleae… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

bullitt:

Can i accompany (sit in the passenger seat) a provisional LGV learner driver, on the road, with LGV learner plates up if we both work for the same company and we are driving a company vehicle??

yes providing you have the correct insurance, our company looked at it but its VERY EXPENSIVE TO GET THE INSURANCE for a learner HGV driver on the open roads - but that was our company, other companies might have deeper pockets and not so short arms :exclamation: :exclamation: but yes, you can do it. :smiley: :smiley:

If you have had your license for a certain amount of time I believe… It could well be 3 years like with the B category, or I might have made that up, thinking it sounds right :unamused:

garnerlives:
If you have had your license for a certain amount of time I believe… It could well be 3 years like with the B category, or I might have made that up, thinking it sounds right :unamused:

Over 21 and with 3 years (spot on Jon :slight_smile: ) for the catagory of vehicle you are supervising in :smiley: :smiley:

and double check that insurance !!!

bullitt:

No HGV (LGV) L plates now though, more is the pity

Cheers for the replies so far chaps, im ok with the licence etc, had mine since 1981 and definatly over 21 :cry: :cry: :cry: . Will look into the insurance side first though.

With regard to “L” plates, surely he, the driver, will have to display some sort of plate??

We have a “driver under instruction” plate, but I dont think that would suffice with a proper “learner” driver, one using only his provisional licence!!

My boss wants me to accompany him out on the road to give him some “wheel time” while he waits to get his proper course and test dates through!! :unamused: :unamused:

bullitt:
With regard to “L” plates, surely he, the driver, will have to display some sort of plate??

Yes - the standard ‘L’ plate that is used for cars - one on back & one on front

The provisional driver risks 3 points for driving without L plates however a full licence holder doesn’t need to remove them if they’re driving.

mrpj:
The provisional driver risks 3 points for driving without L plates however a full licence holder doesn’t need to remove them if they’re driving.

ooohhhh can we re-ignite that debate again :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Cruise Control:

mrpj:

ooohhhh can we re-ignite that debate again :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

■■■■ OFF :laughing:

garnerlives:

Cruise Control:

mrpj:

[zb] OFF :laughing:

that told me :open_mouth: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Just out of curiosity why did they scrap the HGV L plates?
Simon :sunglasses:

thegeordie:

because we are all learner drivers in a way :exclamation: :exclamation: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: </END ROG MODE>

Cruise Control:
because we are all learner drivers in a way :exclamation: :exclamation: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: </END ROG MODE>

I saw that !!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Cruise Control:

thegeordie:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Cruise Control:

garnerlives:

Cruise Control:

mrpj:

that told me :open_mouth: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

It’s only cos the last one dragged on for far too long :wink:

garnerlives:

Cruise Control:

garnerlives:

Cruise Control:

mrpj:

i know…hence why i asked :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

thegeordie:

They can still be used but the legal requirement is for the standard type so if the old style large ones are used then they will have the legal ones as well.

Does not matter which type are used as most car drivers do not see either - they cannot see the huge words on the back, front and sides that say…
TRAININGtheVEHICLE

ROG:
Does not matter which type are used as most car drivers do not see either - they cannot see the huge words on the back, front and sides that say…
TRAINING VEHICLE

i see that and wonder what the driver is training the vehicle todo :question: sit still at traffic lights :question: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Cruise Control:

garnerlives:

Cruise Control:

garnerlives:

Cruise Control:

mrpj:

i know…hence why i asked :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I’m surprised ROG hasn’t pulled up a link for that particular thread so it can be reignited and people can understand what we’re on about…

:open_mouth:

Oh no what have i done?? I’ve unleashed the ‘idea monster’