Learner Driver

This may be a stupid question, but, if I don’t know something then I have to ask :blush:

My brother came with me today, we did a class 2 job. If he had a HGV Provisional licence and he drove lets say for 4.5 hours with me in the passenger seat, do I still have my daily drive left(be it a 9 or a 10)?

Like I said probably a stupid question but interested to know the answer!

Thanks

Can you drive for hire & reward of L-plates? If you can are you not in a sense multi-manning?

When I was having lessons 20+ years ago, I was delivering steel whilst I had my lessons. Mon-Fri and did a weeks work whilst learning. It wouldn’t hurt if we all did it this way. At the minute newbies could go out after passing the test without ever driving with any weight on.

No such thing as a stupid question fileep if you dont know the answer,.

Ive been in transport for 34 years (if you count delivering meat and eggs on a butchers bike at 14 :smiley: ) and I dont know.
I would think though, because you are technically in charge of the vehicle whilst the learner is driving this would count towards your driving hours.

Be interesting to know the definitive answer , our firm in the past has sent learners out with full-time drivers, although only on runs that could normally be done with one driver

firstly does the vehicle have l plates fitted :question: do you have the correct insurance for a provisional hgv driver on the policy :question: . i also thought it was illegal for a provisional driver to drive a vehicle that was loaded…

as you are the supervising driver i would say that his time behind the wheel would count against your hours.also if its digi card fitted vehicle surely without the entitlement the provisional driver wouldn’t have a card

jonboy

Whose tacho would be in if the qualified driver was said to be in charge of the vehicle? To be honest I can’t remember what I did all those years ago!

Saaamon:
Can you drive for hire & reward of L-plates?

You can do everything a qualified driver can do including driving a fully loaded vehicle providing the learner driver supervising requirements are met.

So to sum up:

L plates: required

Insurance for provisional license holder to drive loaded: required

Digicard: required. Can a provisional driver get one? I don’t see why he shouldn’t be able to as if driving an analogue equipped vehicle, he could just fill a chart in.

Edit: On looking at the online application form, it would appear that you can.

Does your supervision count towards your driving hours? No, you’re not driving.

Can you take a break whilst he drives? I don’t know. Grey area? Would count as “other work”?

Rog…

Driveroneuk:
Can you take a break whilst he drives? I don’t know. Grey area? Would count as “other work”?

As you are ‘supervising’ the driver I don’t think you can take a break until he is no longer driving, as you are working with him. Would could as ‘other work’ I would have to say!

Driveroneuk:

Nah, to be a break the period must be used exclusively for recuperation so if you are supervising him you are not recuperating.

If you are taking a break you are not supervising him which means you are breaking a whole different set of laws.

toowise:
No such thing as a stupid question fileep if you dont know the answer,.

Ive been in transport for 34 years (if you count delivering meat and eggs on a butchers bike at 14 :smiley: ) and I dont know.
I would think though, because you are technically in charge of the vehicle whilst the learner is driving this would count towards your driving hours.

For the love of god…Thankyou for demonstrating why so many of you old ■■■■■ need to take the Driver CPC.

The answer is this:

1. Yes, you still have your 9hrs driving however in order to be truly double manning and take advantage of the extended spreadover, you need to both have your cards in the tacho with the second person putting theirs in no later than 1hr after the time the first person put theirs in.
  2. Yes someone on L plates can drive a HGV for hire and reward
  3. No, you cannot take a rest break whilst they’re driving as you are supervising them so it would be other work.

fingers:
firstly does the vehicle have l plates fitted :question: do you have the correct insurance for a provisional hgv driver on the policy :question: . i also thought it was illegal for a provisional driver to drive a vehicle that was loaded…

Another dumbass who is sorely in need of doing the Driver CPC.

Conor:

fingers:

So the Driver CPC will cover this then? I would wager it does not! And stop being so negative, whats with the insults?

Lifes too short, chill out!

Conor:
For the love of god…Thankyou for demonstrating why so many of you old ■■■■■ need to take the Driver CPC.

Thanks for cheering me up Conor

If 48 counts as an old ■■■■ then fair enough, but Ive neveer said the DCPC is a waste of time,( I’m doing my 2nd module on 25th June).
I learn something new most days , sometimes its minor othertimes not,

Ive never done fridge work, and only a few low loaders so there is plenty still to learn
The day i think i know it all will be the day i give up life.

We have trained up several drivers in our yard. They go out with a regular driver and do a day’s work and they all pass first time.

When supervising a learner we always put a card or disc in as second man and leave it on other work with breaks as appropriate.

Vehicles over 3.5t are manufactured with tachos now as far as I know so therefore if you have C1 entitlement you could have a digi card. So no, you don’t need cat C or C+E to own a digi card.

Conor:

fingers:

Pot_Meet_Kettle.jpg
This coming from the bloke who over the last few years has regularly displayed a distinct lack of knowledge of the Driver’s Hours Rules and the WTD. Then when shown to be wrong in throwing his insults about stops posting on the thread in the hope it disappears and is forgotten about before later popping up on another thread spouting the same mistake and slagging of people who have asked a question.

MrHappy:
Vehicles over 3.5t are manufactured with tachos now as far as I know so therefore if you have C1 entitlement you could have a digi card. So no, you don’t need cat C or C+E to own a digi card.

You don’t even need C1 as category B allows you to tow a trailer which would need a tacho if used for non private use.

Fileep:
When I was having lessons 20+ years ago, I was delivering steel whilst I had my lessons. Mon-Fri and did a weeks work whilst learning. It wouldn’t hurt if we all did it this way. At the minute newbies could go out after passing the test without ever driving with any weight on.

that’s how i learnt to drive.my brother was a tramper on bulk tippers so i went with him for a week.best way to learn,driving a loaded 38 ton truck on the M25 in rush hour!! :open_mouth: then took a few lessons & took my test.it wasn’t a shock to me then as to how a loade truck handled when i started my job.

not sure what we did about the driving hours though,we both had charts & were driving a lot of hours as we could both do 9 hours a day,i think we just took our relevant 45 mins breaks & that was it,then the daily rest required.his boss loved it as the wagon had never earned so much money.

Conor:

fingers:

conor

i’ve done my 2nd stint in the classroom for my dcpc and funnily enough this never come up in any of the tachograph and load saftety modules i’ve done and i also doubt it has come up in many others either. im going by what i was told by my instructor all those many years ago. so do us a favour crawl back under your stone and wind your neck in

jonboy