driving hours

Hi guys, perhaps i’m being a bit thick but I had an interview today at park logistics in nottingham after recently getting my class 1. Everything went fine but only one thing baffled me, when I asked how long the shifts were the TM said anything between 8 and 15 hours. Can someone explain how driving hours regulations can allow you to do a 15 hour shift. :confused:

trickyjack:
Hi guys, perhaps i’m being a bit thick but I had an interview today at park logistics in nottingham after recently getting my class 1. Everything went fine but only one thing baffled me, when I asked how long the shifts were the TM said anything between 8 and 15 hours. Can someone explain how driving hours regulations can allow you to do a 15 hour shift. :confused:

“shift length” is from the time you start work to the time you clock off. Not all of that time is spent driving. Some of it is spent on break, and some of it is spent doing other work (e.g. paperwork, loading, cleaning the truck, etc.).

You’re restricted to an (extended) maximum of 10 hours driving per day, but you can technically spend about 14 hours working.

The 15 hour limit comes in by the requirement to have a minimum 9 hours rest before the 24 hour period starting at the start of your shift.

so now you got that sorted, did you get the job,what are the conditions like, trucks, hours, and wages, if you don’t mind sharing info that is.

I’d add to earlier answers that you can drive for nine hours a day, but you can extend that to ten hours twice a week.

You can reduce your daily rest from eleven to nine hours three times per week. In other words, you can work up to fifteen hours three times a week. The other days can be no more than thirteen hours.

Also, under the Road Transport Directive, you can only WORK ten hours per day if you ever work between 0000-0400. In other words, to do a fifteen hour shift, you would need to have five hours of break and POA during your shift.

UNLESS :exclamation:

You have a collective agreement in your workplace (i.e., the majority of staff must agree) to extending your maximum WORKING hours from ten to twelve.

I am sure that there is loads of stuff that I have missed that others will fill you in on.

Coffeeholic is the man for hours questions - he has eaten a copy of the GV262 and digested it!! :wink:

I don’t know if I’ve got the job yet . their will be one or two nights out per week.
The setup is a big improvement on my current employer which is like going to billy smarts everyday. Wages are circa £25,000pa.I’ll have to do an assesment drive aswell but I suppose thats normal.They have just bought 4 new merc actros trucks and are looking for 4 drivers.TM didn’t seem bothered about my lack of experience so heres hoping.
I’ll keep you posted.
sean

good luck with the job mate

Thanks for the info, advice and good luck wishes it’s now a lot clearer re the hours :blush:

Sounds spot on does that - just what you need! :smiley:

Really hope you get it buddy. :wink:

TM phoned me today and offered me the job. I start a week on tuesday :smiley: :smiley:
Obviously there are firms out there who will give you chance without experience.

flying_fenman:
UNLESS :exclamation:

You have a collective agreement in your workplace (i.e., the majority of staff must agree) to extending your maximum WORKING hours from ten to twelve.

I am sure that there is loads of stuff that I have missed that others will fill you in on.

Coffeeholic is the man for hours questions - he has eaten a copy of the GV262 and digested it!! :wink:

I was under the impression, that if there was a collective agreement in place, then the 10 hour rule was out, and you could work as normal under eu regs, ie you could do a 15 hour shift not a maximum of 12 if you wanted to?

You can do a fifteen hour shift with or without a Collective Agreement.

It’s just the actual working time that is affected. In other words, to do a 15 hour shift with a collective agreement (12 hours work) you need at least 3 hours of break / POA. Without a collective agreement you need at least 5 hours of break / POA (10 hours work).

I hope that I’ve worded it so that I make sense! :laughing:

Well done trickyjack!!

There’s always work out there for newbies. The trick is to knock on the right door at the right time - and that isn’t always easy!!

Good luck with the job!! :smiley:

flying_fenman:
You can do a fifteen hour shift with or without a Collective Agreement.

It’s just the actual working time that is affected. In other words, to do a 15 hour shift with a collective agreement (12 hours work) you need at least 3 hours of break / POA. Without a collective agreement you need at least 5 hours of break / POA (10 hours work).

I hope that I’ve worded it so that I make sense! :laughing:

Im sorry, but i do not see anywhere, that there is a 12 hour maximum “working” shift if you opt out of the 10 hours, there is nothing to stop you doing 15 hours “work” on nights if you have opted out of the 10 hour rule.
If im wrong then i apologise, but i cant find anything to say otherwise.

I’ve just had a quick look through the rules and I think you are right Gurner. :blush:

I was going by a company hand-out from the depot when the RTD kicked in and I now get the feeling that it was just us that was working to a 12 hour working limit. :confused:

I’ll bring this up next week with our trainer (who also believes what I did until today) because I think that we, as a depot might be singing off a different hymn sheet than everyone else!! :laughing:

Thanks for highlighting this. :wink:

flying_fenman:

Apart from the 12 hour bit, which Gurner has already corrected, there is nothing for me to add. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

well done on the new job trickyjack :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
hope it works out for you mate.

Thanks for all the info guys I’m sure I’ll have a few more questions for you over the next few months.