15 hours

Hi guys I am slightly confused I have come into general haulage from a industry that uses log books I understand about the driving hours but I am unsure about DUTY hours … Can we work 15 hours every day as duty

Techically yes,but you can only work Max 60hrs per week so that would mean 4x15hrs before your weekly rest period is due.
Also your actual driving time always comes first so if that’s up before the 15hrs you must stop for the day regardless of hours worked.

Thats in a “”" working week “”"

toshtwentythree:
Thats in a “”" working week “”"

That’s what I was referring to,goes without saying really.

rockford1:
Hi guys I am slightly confused I have come into general haulage from a industry that uses log books I understand about the driving hours but I am unsure about DUTY hours … Can we work 15 hours every day as duty

Tacho regs require X amount of rest weekly and X amount of rest in a 24 hour period
There are also max working time regs which so far the authorities have not been bothered with in the last 10 years

As I understand it you could only work a 15 hour shift up to three days per week, taking a reduced 9 hour rest. Your other shifts would be limited to 13 hours max because you are required to take at least 11 hours rest for the remainder, and you cannot reduce more than three days per week. Then, as has been said above, you have the 60 hour weekly limit and the 48 hour rolling average working limit (excluding POA and breaks) to worry about on top.

ORC is right on the money.

eagerbeaver:
ORC is right on the money.

Actually, it’s three times between weekly rest periods, which isn’t quite the same thing as three times per week. :smiley:

:bulb: A “week” is defined and fixed in law, but not everybody takes their weekly rest on a weekend. :wink:

ORC:
As I understand it you could only work a 15 hour shift up to three days per week, taking a reduced 9 hour rest. Your other shifts would be limited to 13 hours max because you are required to take at least 11 hours rest for the remainder, and you cannot reduce more than three days per week. Then, as has been said above, you have the 60 hour weekly limit and the 48 hour rolling average working limit (excluding POA and breaks) to worry about on top.

You can do a 15 hour shift every day without having a reduced daily rest if a break/rest of 3 hours was taken in one go during the shift - split daily rest 3+9=regular daily rest

ROG:

ORC:

You can do a 15 hour shift every day without having a reduced daily rest if a break/rest of 3 hours was taken in one go during the shift - split daily rest 3+9=regular daily rest

don’t want to be pedantic Rog but its a 12 hour shift on a split rest, you have to be able to comply with all the rules the same as a daily rest, for the 3 hours you take during the day.
even in the rules it doesn’t state that “if you take 3 hours break during your shift” you can use this as a split rest.
As you know the rules on break and rest are different.

yes we all do it, but if the muck ever hit the fan not complying with the rules on rests could sink a drivers chances in court.

How can it be a 12 hours shift if it starts at 6am and finished at 9pm ? with or without a 3 hours break/rest in it makes no difference to the start and finish times making it a 15 hour shift

If the 3 hours comply to the rest rules then its a split daily rest = regular daily rest

ROG:
How can it be a 12 hours shift if it starts at 6am and finished at 9pm ? with or without a 3 hours break/rest in it makes no difference to the start and finish times making it a 15 hour shift

If the 3 hours comply to the rest rules then its a split daily rest = regular daily rest

quite easily as the 3 hours rest do not count as shift time!!!

we harp on about people getting things right in regards about hours ect.

wildfire:
… the 3 hours rest do not count as shift time!!!

EH !!!
How do you figure that ?

If a driver clocks in at 6am and clocks out at 9pm then that is a 15 hour shift

The 3 hours do not count as working time etc but they certainly count as time on shift

FFS Rog . Please stop telling people that the powers that be don’t care or haven’t taken any action against WTD infringements. It’s a LEGAL REQUIREMENT FOR DRIVER’S to follow ALL REGULATIONS RELATING TO A DRIVER.

just because in 10years you haven’t any knowledge of anyone being done don’t mean it won’t happen.
There are cases in progress that you know nothing about. One such case of drivers and company being taken to court was mentioned on this forum not long ago,
The case has been postponed for a year, maybe they’re looking at other infringements that need to be addressed like the WTD.

If your giving info please STOP saying “shouldn’t worry no-ones been done in 10 years” it might just come back and bite you since your so full of it.

nick2008:
FFS Rog . Please stop telling people that the powers that be don’t care or haven’t taken any action against WTD infringements. It’s a LEGAL REQUIREMENT FOR DRIVER’S to follow ALL REGULATIONS RELATING TO A DRIVER.

just because in 10years you haven’t any knowledge of anyone being done don’t mean it won’t happen.
There are cases in progress that you know nothing about. One such case of drivers and company being taken to court was mentioned on this forum not long ago,
The case has been postponed for a year, maybe they’re looking at other infringements that need to be addressed like the WTD.

If your giving info please STOP saying “shouldn’t worry no-ones been done in 10 years” it might just come back and bite you since your so full of it.

To which post in this thread are you referring to ?