Drivers hours

Can someone please simplify the drivers hours for me, everyone I talk to makes it too confusing to digest. Etc how many 15’s can you do when does it turn into a 15 hour day etc etc. cheers guys

jt1191:
Can someone please simplify the drivers hours for me, everyone I talk to makes it too confusing to digest. Etc how many 15’s can you do when does it turn into a 15 hour day etc etc. cheers guys

The 13 and 15 hour shifts results because of the amount of daily rest required.

Within the period of 24 hours from the start of the shift you must have completed a daily rest period, a regular daily rest period is 11 hours.
As you have to complete an 11 hour rest period within the period of 24 hours from the start of the shift that leaves you 13 hours maximum spread-over from the start to the end of the shift.

Three times between weekly rest periods you can reduce the daily rest period to no less than 9 hours, as you must complete a 9 hour rest period within 24 hours from the start of the shift you’re left with a maximum spread-over of 15 hours from start to end of the shift.

You can have no more than 3 reduced daily rest periods between weekly rest periods, in other words you can do three 15 hour shifts between weekly rest periods.

Whenever a shift is more than 13 hours from start to end, it must be a reduced daily rest period because you won’t be able to complete an 11 hour daily rest period within the 24 hour period from the start of the shift (unless it’s a split daily rest period).

Drivers Hours Regulations

Driving Breaks

• 45 minutes break after 4½ hours driving.
  • The 45 minute driving break can be split into 2 parts, the first part must be at-least 15 minutes, the second part must be at-least 30 minutes, and they must be taken in that order)

Driving

• Maximum 9 hours driving between daily rest periods.
  • Maximum driving between daily rest periods can be extended to 10 hours twice a week.
  • Maximum 56 hours driving per week.
  • Maximum 90 hours driving in any 2 consecutive weeks.

Daily Rest

• Must have a daily rest period of at-least 11 hours within the 24 hour period from the start of the shift.
  • The daily rest period can be reduced to 9 hours 3 times between 2 weekly rest periods.
  • Reduced daily rest periods do not have to be compensated for.

Weekly Rest

• Must have a weekly rest period of at-least 45 hours in a week.
  • Weekly rest period can be reduced to no less than 24 hours-
  • In any two consecutive weeks you must have at-least 1 regular 45 hour weekly rest period and 1 reduced weekly rest period.
  • Compensation for reduced weekly rest periods must be paid back en block no later than the end of the third week following the week in which the reduced weekly rest period was taken.

Working Time Regulations

RT(WT)R Breaks

• You should not exceed 6 hours working time without a break of at-least 15 minutes.
  • If your working time is more than 6 hours but not more than 9 hours you should have a total of at-least 30 minute break/breaks during the shift.
  • If your working time exceeds 9 hours you should have a total of at-least 45 minute break/breaks during the shift.
  • Breaks for the working time regulations can be split into separate breaks of at-least 15 minutes each.
  • Breaks that are at the immediate start of finish of the shift will not count for the working time regulations, (breaks must interrupt the working time).

Working Time

• Maximum 60 hours working time in a week.
  • Average working time over the reference period must not exceed 48 hours per week.

Driving breaks also count as working time breaks and where appropriate vice versa.

Rules on Drivers Hours and Tachographs

Don’t forget the night shift 00:00 - 4am / 10 hour total WTD rule :smiley:

I get that 3x15 hour shifts a week. But heard some say 13 hours 1 minute counts as a 15 hour shift too? Is that correct?

truckster5:
Don’t forget the night shift 00:00 - 4am / 10 hour total WTD rule :smiley:

Like I did last Saturday started at 2.30am took my card out at 17.00 lol :smiley:

Yes 13 hours 1 minute does count as 15 hours because you have reduced your daily rest to 9 hours in 24 hours

jt1191:
I get that 3x15 hour shifts a week. But heard some say 13 hours 1 minute counts as a 15 hour shift too? Is that correct?

It’s three 15 hours shifts between weekly rest periods not a week.

Ask yourself if you did a shift of 13 hours and 1 minute could you get an 11 hour regular daily rest period into the 24 hour period ?

The answer is no so it’s a reduced daily rest period of which you can have 3 between weekly rest periods.