DRIVERS MEDICAL

just been told by DVLA my HGV licence has been revoked as my eyesight apparantly does not meet their standards. My optician says they do. I have held my licence since 1991. My company which i have worked for the past twenty five years with barely a days sickness has told me “no licence no pay with immediate effect”.
So now i have no job and no source of income, as driving is all i know.
Has anyone else been in same situation with DVLA, any advice appreciated on where i go from here. :frowning:

Bad situation by the DVLA but MUCH worse by your company.

So you’ve now got to take an eye test at your optician and a separate one for the DVLA?

On what grounds did DVLA revoke your licence ?
Have you just had a D4 medical ?
Jim

Read my posts regarding the same thing mate if you want.

JFC999:
On what grounds did DVLA revoke your licence ?
Have you just had a D4 medical ?
Jim

That was going to be my question as well

I had a load of trouble at my last medical because the doctor had not ticked the box saying I’d been working regularly for the last five years this entitled me to grandfather rights on the eyesight test as my sight does not reach the new standard, it may be that, took six months to sort out but I got a letter from DVLA allowing me to drive till the license was sorted, worth looking into that.

Did the DVLA send you at no cost to one of their approved eye check places?

Mrmack65:
I had a load of trouble at my last medical because the doctor had not ticked the box saying I’d been working regularly for the last five years this entitled me to grandfather rights on the eyesight test as my sight does not reach the new standard, it may be that, took six months to sort out but I got a letter from DVLA allowing me to drive till the license was sorted, worth looking into that.

Do you wear glasses?

Just for reading

I have failed the eyesight medical according to DVLA because my glasses prescription is greater than +8 dioptres.
I understand if my contact lens prescription is ok HGV standard, which it is, then I should have been ok.
If I passed my test in 1991 then surely I am covered by Grandfather rights as well ?
I need to get all my facts straight before I start fighting the DVLA.
Many thanks for any advice.

waynedl:
Bad situation by the DVLA but MUCH worse by your company.

So you’ve now got to take an eye test at your optician and a separate one for the DVLA?

Eye test at optician then form sent off to DVLA for evaluation

ZOOKEEPER:
I have failed the eyesight medical according to DVLA because my glasses prescription is greater than +8 dioptres.
I understand if my contact lens prescription is ok HGV standard, which it is, then I should have been ok.
If I passed my test in 1991 then surely I am covered by Grandfather rights as well ?

You would have to check to see if you are covered by the grandfather rights, and I think you would only be covered if you had the same eye sight standard in 1991 as you have now, if your glasses prescription was +8 dioptres when you took your medical for your provisional licence, it would be strange for them to revoke it now, but if it wasn’t and I’m guessing this is your first medical since, they probably would if your eye sight has got worse as you have got older.

Lorry and bus drivers

You must have a visual acuity at least 0.8 (6/7.5) measured on the Snellen scale in your best eye and at least 0.1 (6/60) on the Snellen scale in the other eye. You can reach this standard using glasses with a corrective power not more than (+) 8 dioptres, or with contact lenses. There’s no specific limit for the corrective power of contact lenses.

According to this, if you wore your glasses to take the eye test, they will fail you, but if you took it with your contacts in there would have been no reason to tell them the strength, or if you do it wouldn’t matter.

weeto:

ZOOKEEPER:

You would have to check to see if you are covered by the grandfather rights, and I think you would only be covered if you had the same eye sight standard in 1991 as you have now, if your glasses prescription was +8 dioptres when you took your medical for your provisional licence, it would be strange for them to revoke it now, but if it wasn’t and I’m guessing this is your first medical since, they probably would if your eye sight has got worse as you have got older.

Lorry and bus drivers

You must have a visual acuity at least 0.8 (6/7.5) measured on the Snellen scale in your best eye and at least 0.1 (6/60) on the Snellen scale in the other eye. You can reach this standard using glasses with a corrective power not more than (+) 8 dioptres, or with contact lenses. There’s no specific limit for the corrective power of contact lenses.

According to this, if you wore your glasses to take the eye test, they will fail you, but if you took it with your contacts in there would have been no reason to tell them the strength, or if you do it wouldn’t matter.

I’m gonna add to this and say you took the eyesight test with your glasses on, but if you didn’t, who ever filled the form in, screwed up.

Mrmack65:
Just for reading

Sorry that was aimed at the OP, but still glad ya got it sorted.

Thanks for all the advice, at this point in time it looks as if my optician has ticked the box on the form saying I need my glasses for driving, I don,t, I wear contact lens. I will be returning to my opticians tomorrow to hopefully get this nightmare sorted.
Absolutely fuming with my company though, no help or advice whatsoever, just cut me off, don,t bother coming in, no pay, and no, even though your,e, fit and healthy we won,t let you do other work in the company.
I didn,t think a company could legally do this, phoned ACAS and they say they can, lose your licence for whatever reason and you can be finished with a minutes notice.

Just something that comes to mind, people that I know who wear contact lenses also have glasses as a back up. What do you if you have an eye infection or cannot wear your lenses for some reason?

ZOOKEEPER:
Thanks for all the advice, at this point in time it looks as if my optician has ticked the box on the form saying I need my glasses for driving, I don,t, I wear contact lens. I will be returning to my opticians tomorrow to hopefully get this nightmare sorted.
Absolutely fuming with my company though, no help or advice whatsoever, just cut me off, don,t bother coming in, no pay, and no, even though your,e, fit and healthy we won,t let you do other work in the company.
I didn,t think a company could legally do this, phoned ACAS and they say they can, lose your licence for whatever reason and you can be finished with a minutes notice.

Has DVLA confirmed that, and will they let you resubmit a new medical form with that bit omitted?

weeto:

ZOOKEEPER:

Has DVLA confirmed that, and will they let you resubmit a new medical form with that bit omitted?

Optician has admitted mistake has been made, DVLA say all they need is letter from Optician. They say it may be Four weeks or so before they can get round to reinstating my licence, explained I have no source of income and cannot work without licence, but they,re not bothered.

ZOOKEEPER:

weeto:

ZOOKEEPER:

Optician has admitted mistake has been made, DVLA say all they need is letter from Optician. They say it may be Four weeks or so before they can get round to reinstating my licence, explained I have no source of income and cannot work without licence, but they,re not bothered.

If optician has admitted he/she is at fault then I’d go and see a soliciter. Surely that’s an admission of failiure of care?? Through the opticians lapse of concentration you have been unable to earn a living.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

ZOOKEEPER:

weeto:

ZOOKEEPER:

If optician has admitted he/she is at fault then I’d go and see a soliciter. Surely that’s an admission of failiure of care?? Through the opticians lapse of concentration you have been unable to earn a living.

Like I’ve said before, you will get better results dealing with DVLA if you get your local MP to chase them up! And maybe its time to change employer, you need one that’s as good as Steve’s.