DRIVERS MEDICAL

weeto:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

ZOOKEEPER:

weeto:

ZOOKEEPER:
Thanks for all the advice, at this point in time it looks as if my optician has ticked the box on the form saying I need my glasses for driving, I don,t, I wear contact lens. I will be returning to my opticians tomorrow to hopefully get this nightmare sorted.
Absolutely fuming with my company though, no help or advice whatsoever, just cut me off, don,t bother coming in, no pay, and no, even though your,e, fit and healthy we won,t let you do other work in the company.
I didn,t think a company could legally do this, phoned ACAS and they say they can, lose your licence for whatever reason and you can be finished with a minutes notice.

Has DVLA confirmed that, and will they let you resubmit a new medical form with that bit omitted?

Optician has admitted mistake has been made, DVLA say all they need is letter from Optician. They say it may be Four weeks or so before they can get round to reinstating my licence, explained I have no source of income and cannot work without licence, but they,re not bothered.

If optician has admitted he/she is at fault then I’d go and see a soliciter. Surely that’s an admission of failiure of care?? Through the opticians lapse of concentration you have been unable to earn a living.

Like I’ve said before, you will get better results dealing with DVLA if you get your local MP to chase them up! And maybe its time to change employer, you need one that’s as good as Steve’s.

Yes , when I get all this sorted I will be looking to claim loss of earnings from optician. I now have letter from optician admitting mistake. Don,t want to aggravate DVLA too much at this point as frightened they might drag their heels more than they are.
But what is making me wake up angry and go to bed angry, waking up through the night feeling sick with worry, is what my ■■■■■■■ of a company has done to me, do I sound bitter ?

So go & claim benefit either JSA or ESA not that good but at least you will have money coming in & they may even give you some towards housing & council tax which may help a little

As you cant work due to ill health ( eyes ) then claim ESA may take a while to come through but it will & back dated from when you make that claim if on long enough they will send you for medical hopefully it wont come to that & you will be back at work soon

Good luck know what it can be like having your licence revoked as have been there & had to fight DVLA medical section twice ( & yep I won both times )

ZOOKEEPER:

weeto:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

ZOOKEEPER:

weeto:

ZOOKEEPER:
Thanks for all the advice, at this point in time it looks as if my optician has ticked the box on the form saying I need my glasses for driving, I don,t, I wear contact lens. I will be returning to my opticians tomorrow to hopefully get this nightmare sorted.
Absolutely fuming with my company though, no help or advice whatsoever, just cut me off, don,t bother coming in, no pay, and no, even though your,e, fit and healthy we won,t let you do other work in the company.
I didn,t think a company could legally do this, phoned ACAS and they say they can, lose your licence for whatever reason and you can be finished with a minutes notice.

Has DVLA confirmed that, and will they let you resubmit a new medical form with that bit omitted?

Optician has admitted mistake has been made, DVLA say all they need is letter from Optician. They say it may be Four weeks or so before they can get round to reinstating my licence, explained I have no source of income and cannot work without licence, but they,re not bothered.

If optician has admitted he/she is at fault then I’d go and see a soliciter. Surely that’s an admission of failiure of care?? Through the opticians lapse of concentration you have been unable to earn a living.

Like I’ve said before, you will get better results dealing with DVLA if you get your local MP to chase them up! And maybe its time to change employer, you need one that’s as good as Steve’s.

Yes , when I get all this sorted I will be looking to claim loss of earnings from optician. I now have letter from optician admitting mistake. Don,t want to aggravate DVLA too much at this point as frightened they might drag their heels more than they are.
But what is making me wake up angry and go to bed angry, waking up through the night feeling sick with worry, is what my [zb] of a company has done to me, do I sound bitter ?

Yes you do, but at this point DVLA has done nothing wrong, so you will have to see how things pan out, start by ringing a week after the letter gets sent, 4 weeks could end up being just a week, really cant see a clerical error causing to much problems.
Is your (ex) emoloyer will to take you back on when sorted, or will you just look for another job?

Like Weeto says 4 week could mean a week. I had a letter from DVLA saying they were looking into my medical evidence and it could take up to 12 week. I got a letter this Friday just over a week from the original letter saying I had got my HGV entitlement back. Although I have to go for an eye test every 3 year.

My problem isn’t as serious as this, but my than optician. High Street Robbers cocked mine up. They must have ticked the wrong box on my form, because I got an 01 code on all my licence classes, even the motorcycle, now I don’t mind driving a car with glasses but not a bike. My eyesight is OK for anything but HGV and has improved such a lot since I got my blood pressure sorted out. I am now better than normal without medication which is generally unheard of according to my doctor, she is happy to write a supporting letter for my eyesight so it should get sorted at my next medical.

Thanks for all the advice, really appreciated.

hope no one minds but can i just ask a similar related question
i have my 5 year medical next year
last year i have started wearing varifocal glasses
i asked optician do i need to wear them all the time , she said no
i asked do i need to inform DVLA as i drive for a living , she said no
anyway the last year i have been wearing the glasses 24/7 and find driving so much better when wearing them
its like driving in HD
the question is when i go for my eye test medical next year
shall i wear the glasses , can i wear the glasses
shall i tell the doctor i wear the glasses while driving even tho i have never informed DVLA about my glasses
will the doctor let me wear the glasses
if not i think i may struggle to read the letters on the chart

Free legal advice from volunteers at the Citizens Advice Bureau.They will start the ball rolling.
Did you have a written employment contract with your last firm
It may be written in there about loss of licence procedures.
Dvla are their own animal.A big machine.
Computer says no from the Little Britain sketch.

Disregarding the eyesight question for a moment, try renewing your PHOTO on your licence now and see what Swansea send back.
Your medical May be re scheduled .
Jim

villa:

Try changing your photo now and see if you get 5 more medical years free like many of us including me did
£24.50 at a post office that is set up for this

Wheel Nut:
My problem isn’t as serious as this, but my than optician. High Street Robbers cocked mine up. They must have ticked the wrong box on my form, because I got an 01 code on all my licence classes, even the motorcycle.

DVLA the same with me and I’m sure I’ve read on here before that they do it to everybody.

villa:
anyway the last year i have been wearing the glasses 24/7 and find driving so much better when wearing them
its like driving in HD
shall i tell the doctor i wear the glasses while driving even tho i have never informed DVLA about my glasses

Of course the doctor will let you were your glasses, but if you do it will go on the medical form, then your licence will have the 01 code put on it.
If you can meet the eyesight standard with out them, do it with out them.
I think you can have the eye test at your optician, so have it done there if they think you eyes are good enough to meet the standard required.

weeto:

villa:
its like driving in HD

Of course the doctor will let you were your glasses, but if you do it will go on the medical form, then your licence will have the 01 code put on it.
I think you can have the eye test at your optician, so have it done there if they think you eyes are good enough to meet the standard required.

Had my eyes tested at opticians they filled in form on D4 np

Dr was happy with that so didnt do it & didnt charge me for it so was a bit cheaper ( eye test free for me )

weeto:

villa:
its like driving in HD

is it such a bad thing then to have 01 on your licence

villa:

weeto:

villa:
its like driving in HD

is it such a bad thing then to have 01 on your licence

No idea! I decided to try not to have to have it as wearing glasses in my case does my head in, I opted to to exercise my rights to use grandfather rights and got it.

YBH make little difference having the 01 code on your licence it has never stopped me from anything even if police check it

animal:
YBH make little difference having the 01 code on your licence it has never stopped me from anything even if police check it

ok four eyes
thanks for sharing that

I’ve got an 01 on my licence. I put it down to having too many beers the night before and a bad case of arc eye at the time. Subsequent tests have shown my eyes to be fine without glasses so obviously I don’t wear them. Tbh I’ve never been pulled in the last 15 years so it hasn’t been an issue, if it became one I imagine I’d say I was wearing contacts!

the maoster:
I’ve got an 01 on my licence. I put it down to having too many beers the night before and a bad case of arc eye at the time. Subsequent tests have shown my eyes to be fine without glasses so obviously I don’t wear them. Tbh I’ve never been pulled in the last 15 years so it hasn’t been an issue, if it became one I imagine I’d say I was wearing contacts!

YES BTU DO YOU WEAR THEM FOR YOUR EYE TEST WHEN YOU HAVE A MEDICAL MATE
its not rocket science

NO I DO NOT. HOPE THAT CLARIFIES THINGS.

Ps, I’d say it was more biology than rocket science.