Driver wanted for Middle East work, must be self sufficient

Im looking for someone to take over driving this MAN. Rag provided.
Must be willing to eat out of trailer box, and pray 5 times aday. ( during tacho break of course) No experience neccessary although a camping bed or hammock is…See picture below.
Serious enquiries only please!!!

I hope that you like this one…
GS OVERLAND

probably gets better night out money than me youre one as long as pension is one camel per year of service :laughing:

Yeah no probs, one packet of Camel, when can you start?

So that’s where the triangles went off my trailer!!. I hope you sacked him for not haveing his chocks behind the wheels whilst brewing chi. Are the Seven Day ■■■■■■■■ mandatory or optional, and how many blanket’s do you supply for the cab, as my family were complaining of the cold last winter. also do you pay waiting money after the first week at davies turnerswhen there are no loads. i come with my own tir carnet’s and as many ecmt books as my friend can make, I also have a John Bull printers outfit which i carry in my brieifcase at all times I am prepaired for all emergencies with many years experience fiddleing my bosses. i await your call for an interview.
Regards ICANHOPIT.

A Scot lost in the Valley’s

I’ll do it Gavin. Can I take it to Lebanon via Jimmy’s in Istanbul?

And theres me thinking that I would get loads of applicants to choose from, and all I get is you three!
The triangles went with Ali the driver in the photo, there was a funny smell and loads of flies in the cab, thats when I found the seven day sh*&%ers which are mandatory.
Each applicant must bring his own Turkish handbrake for examination, and must be able to reach wheel to apply said handbrake by leaning out of cab.
Due to increased cost of blanket production the company only supplies one blanket per family member, ( tip) if you want more blankets, bring more family members on the trip.
Company provides obligatory plastic water jug with spout for washing down below after spread axle in the desert .
Can also be used for collecting water to brew Chai.
Due to inreased volume of cheap eastern european transport, waiting money is only due after first two weeks at DT,s.
So thats where my printing set went!!!
TIR Carnet only needs one page now as the EU reeches as far as Kapik, therefore is an optional extra.
Please advise how the inteded applicant would make forward progress at border crossing queues.
Must be prepared to wake up really early and walk to front of queue to see if there are any spaces to jump into and then let all your mates in.
This vehicle will be loaded with salted skins for Jimmy in Istanbul ( must sit Istanbul for min one week waiting for customs clearance) and tinned ham for Beqaa Valley Lebanon.
Reload explosives ex Beirut for US Embassy, Damascus.
Please advise
GS

How many guys know what we mean by "spread "■■?Just to gave you a clue,when i jacked in doing M/E, I had to park a couple of 1100 X 22.5 tyres in my bathroom,one on either side of the karsi.You see,old habits die hard!Mum couldn’t understand it,but I told her there’s no way I can move without parking my elbows!

Living out of a trailer box?No problem.I bet Jamie Oliver couldn’t turn out some of the culinary masterpieces I’ve managed.My speciality used to be sherry trifle.
I always remember the time I was parked up one Friday im Mosul awaiting customs clearance.Middle of Summer,red hot.I’had dinner,made a sherry trifle and put it in the fridge.Shortly after,2 English guys on their first trip pulled alongside,definitely suffering with the heat.We had a chat for an hour,then I said I was about to make a brew,and while we’re having that,would you like some sherry trifle?Well,these guys thought I was taking the p1ss,but they were gobsmacked when I produced this perfect,cold sherry trifle.They admitted then,there must be a God.In this dirty,hot,stinking,flyblown hole,someone turns up and offers you sherry trifle is not real.I was always known as the Trifle man after that.

Problem was you used to get great big dirty marks on the inside of your arms, from leaning on the tyres didnt you.
And then just when you thought that you had pulled of the road far enough for some privacy, an Arab would walk past with his plastic water jug coming from doing his " business", I always found that strange.
I was always able to knock up some good trailer box food too.
This was a Christmas dinner, complete with Cranberry sauce that I knocked up at Khafji for Me, Bob Hedley, Gary Glass and Bob Poggiani, washed down with some of that luvley alcohol free beer that you could get in Saudi, I forgot the name of it.

I started to write a book about driving and eating, I called it Chef on the Road and it incorporates cooking my favorite meal in each country during a trip to Sharja.
GS

I was tipping in Riyahd on one trip and the firm I was delivering to was run by an Armenian guy.After tipping,he invited me back to his place to clean up and asked me if I fancied a beer,the usual malt stuff.I said yeah,sure,then he said do you want something in it?I said what have you got,and out of his cupboard he pulled a bottle of pure alcohol!Magic!.
A couple of those went down really well.No,it was not a ■■■■■■■■■,I left as I’d arrived,intact!

I always ate well on the road,either out of the trailer box in Summer,or I had built a kitchen in my cab for the winter.Some guys couldn’t be bothered and lived on cold stuff out of tins,but to me,it was all part of the adventure,if you intended doing the job for any amount of time,you might as well look after yourself.
Then there were the times when you met up with some friends at a common meeting place or met someone coming the other way on the pipeline in Saudi,and you all pulled off into the desert for a brew and cookup.
The most well known character to be with was Geoff Ruggins,may he rest in peace,lovely fella.If he was there,there was no choice,it had to be a Geoff Ruggins curry.Talk about hot?It would take the enamel of your teeth.I remember on one ocassion,Tony Khan was with us when Ruggins made the curry,and Tony had a job to eat it,and he’s a Pakistani!Where are you now Tony?

The kitchen in my 142.

My mate Alan Jones and I having breakfast Sunday morning,East Germany.

Parked up in the desert ,Saudi.My motor is the white/blue F12,Simon International.I think the Funstons driver was Noel Walker.

Anyway about the job Gavin. If you can drive it to Bob Paul’s house without rolling it, I’ll take over.

David
I will see what I can do.
Please have a wrecker truck and a set of English plates on stand-by just in case.
Ashford ro ro pics coming soon…PS just for that you can bring your own blanket.
GS

Gavin,

I’m not sure if you remember me. We met at Erinkoy customs. Some guy came to collect us in a big Americam car and took us to Jimmys Hostel. The car didn’t turn over on the way but we did eat when we got there. I don’t remember you cooking anything but there is a recipe for jellied eels written on a shower door at Homs parking. Is it yours?

Hi David
Yes I remember that trip, we got picked up in a big white American Taksi !! and we had some kind of issue with the bar bill at the hotel I think, something to do with some Rumo bird or something, cant remember exactly.
I have a photo of that Taksi that I think you took, I will post it soon.
Regards
GS
Isnt this forum great!!!

bestbooties:
ITony Khan was with us when Ruggins made the curry,and Tony had a job to eat it,and he’s a Pakistani!Where are you now Tony?

is that the same one who was on PIE when they started at northampton? he worked with some of my now colleagues at Planthaul for a while

more cracking photos by the way :slight_smile:

Thanks for the encouragement JJ, although it seems that we dont need much!! now that I have connected wih some old colleagues again.
Here you go David, heres a pic of the Taksi.

I do believe that you took that photo…Or was it Bathe it Daily.

Yes I remember. But I wish I didn’t. I thought the beer tasted a bit like Scotch. The Rumo bird you introduced me to turned out to be her brother…but you didn’t seem to mind either. the guy who drove the car was English. I remember that he was waiting for some money so he could get home. I can’t remember who he drove for.

jj72:

bestbooties:
ITony Khan was with us when Ruggins made the curry,and Tony had a job to eat it,and he’s a Pakistani!Where are you now Tony?

is that the same one who was on PIE when they started at northampton? he worked with some of my now colleagues at Planthaul for a while

more cracking photos by the way :slight_smile:

Could be the same Tony,he worked for one or two big names on the M/E.
Apparently when he came from Pakistan,he worked his way over including spending a couple of years in Turkey.He lived in Basildon at the time I knew him.