Driver Shortage?

hughgeorghan:
If you couldn’t make a success of driving in the 80’s & 90’s when British haulage was booming you must have been pretty useless.

This has been my thoughts on Carryfast for many months.

Not his fault though. He’s just failed where many many others haven’t.

Grumpy_old_trucker:
You’re not very bright or observant are you?

Precisely why I drive lorries for a living.

quote from Carryfast:
“No such thing as the job of site labourer and ‘drivers’ expected to handball building materials on site and in the yard when they aren’t ‘driving’ a few miles around the local streets.
Oh wait I thought someone said the excercise is beneficial to your health.”

I was working for local contractors on a self employed basis so yes, there really are site labourers. Usually paired up with gangs of brickies manning the mixer and setting out bricks and blocks/cutting blocks down as well as facing bricks…or maybe I dreamed it all…

Are you seriously arguing that exercise isn’t beneficial to your health?!?

And it will
Only get Worse and good i Say as the wages for HGV are a PT haulage companies have it to good for to Long now that the Flip flop and tracksuit boys have mostly gone back home
Time to ask for a pay rise

hughgeorghan:
Are you seriously arguing that exercise isn’t beneficial to your health?!?

It’s a ploy by the Chinese to defeat us. When we are finally tired of exercise they’ll invade.

I for one welcome our new Chinese overlords.

No driver shortage in the west of Scotland area, obviously:

Brandane62:

Linwood i would think WH Malcolm cheers Ray

stargazer148:

Brandane62:

Linwood i would think WH Malcolm cheers Ray

It’s A&D Logistics (“affectionately” known as Ant & Dec up here)

Sent from my M2007J3SG using Tapatalk

Hi roverman forgot about them :blush: containers out of Greenock mainly? Cheers Ray

stargazer148:
Hi roverman forgot about them :blush: containers out of Greenock mainly? Cheers Ray

… Greenock, Grangemouth, Coatbridge, Bellshill mate.

Sent from my M2007J3SG using Tapatalk

This pic is probably gonna come out sideways because I didn’t take it the correct way with my I phone, but anyhoo if you’re reasonably close to Avonmouth and don’t mind doing Lidl work this might be right up your street.

Does make me smile when they use the USP of PPE provided :smiley:

the maoster:
Does make me smile when they use the USP of PPE provided :smiley:

Lorry provided too?
But you make a good point.

Franglais:
Lorry provided too?

Yeh; but buy your own diesel!
Slightly O/T but just saw a local advert for one of those community based carers to drive around between old peoples houses doing personal care, shopping etc… Use your own car, a mileage allowance of 13 pence per mile will be paid. FFS, unless you’re getting about 60 mpg, that doesn’t even cover fuel! Then you still have to pay for business use insurance, extra depreciation for the extra miles, servicing, etc… So it’s not just HGV land that are trying to take the pish.

50 hours a week for £39k?

I wouldn’t get out of bed for that.

Brandane62:

Franglais:
Lorry provided too?

Yeh; but buy your own diesel!
Slightly O/T but just saw a local advert for one of those community based carers to drive around between old peoples houses doing personal care, shopping etc… Use your own car, a mileage allowance of 13 pence per mile will be paid. FFS, unless you’re getting about 60 mpg, that doesn’t even cover fuel! Then you still have to pay for business use insurance, extra depreciation for the extra miles, servicing, etc… So it’s not just HGV land that are trying to take the pish.

Usually advertised as first and foremost ‘drivers required’.

There’s a whole spectrum of difficult to fill employment sectors trying to dress up anything but driver roles as …driver roles.The care sector is no exception and one of the worst obviously hoping to catch unfortunate unemployed drivers in the Jobseekers job search committment catch 22.Turn it down lose your benefit. :bulb: :unamused:

motortransport.co.uk/blog/2021/ … e-deepens/

Retailers demanding the army is brought in to deliver food due to driver shortage …ha ha ha

OwenMoney:
Retailers demanding the army is brought in to deliver food due to driver shortage …ha ha ha

I’m guessing they’re wanting to make things worse? I’d love that to happen just for the comedy value.

“Bay 5 please.”
“Sorry can’t go on there, there’s somebody in an army wagon still trying to reverse on there.”
“Eh? He got here an hour ago.”

2 minutes later, bang and lots of smoke as the clutch in the green machine finally gives up after an hour of someone used to having someone tell them which way to turn the steering wheel when they’re going backwards proves they’re incapable of making the decision on their own…

“Got another bay for me? Don’t think you’ll be using bay 5 for a while, his clutch has just gone.”

Bay 5 out of commission for another half a day until REME/RLC recovery finally turn up.

^^^ harsh, but sadly true! Different skillsets innit? However if you require goods inwards to be taken out with less than four mortar shots they’re probably your man.

No idea if this has been mentioned as I haven’t bothered to wade through all the posts, but several months of no tests being carried out surely means a few thousand entrants not there. However, it seems like there are some who would welcome the lack of entrants if it meant their wage went up. Just saying like.