Driver Shortage?

the maoster:
^^^ harsh, but sadly true! Different skillsets innit? However if you require goods inwards to be taken out with less than four mortar shots they’re probably your man.

To be fair that probably fits the job description of ‘any other work that needs carrying out’ when not needed as a warehouse labourer. :wink: :laughing:

asda.jobs/vacancy/hgv-driver … scription/

There’s supposedly a ‘driver’ shortage requiring the army to deliver essentials probably using lots of 4 wheeler rigids so what do they do they put class 1 ‘drivers’ to work on anything but ‘driving’.
6 months class 1 required also obviously counts out new new drivers/class 2 upgrades including army recruits most of who will only have class 2 anyway. :unamused:

Carryfast:

the maoster:
^^^ harsh, but sadly true! Different skillsets innit? However if you require goods inwards to be taken out with less than four mortar shots they’re probably your man.

To be fair that probably fits the job description of ‘any other work that needs carrying out’ when not needed as a warehouse labourer. :wink: :laughing:

There’s supposedly a ‘driver’ shortage requiring the army to deliver essentials probably using lots of 4 wheeler rigids so what do they do they put class 1 ‘drivers’ to work on anything but ‘driving’.
6 months class 1 required also obviously counts out new new drivers/class 2 upgrades including army recruits most of who will only have class 2 anyway. :unamused:

And what point are you trying to highlight with that Asda job advert?

I am guessing at item 3 on the list, but that’s been the case for Asda truck drivers since the dawn of time.

£11.92 per hour for supermarket work :laughing:

I’m quite sure that sadly some will jump at it though.

I can assure CF I’m not a warehouse labourer, only time I’m ever in there is for my pre departure pee , toilets are a shorter walk than the main ones :unamused:

BTW if anyone fancies weekend nights, Opex in swindon are offering 300 quid a shift doing home bargains. Solo from swindon to Solstice park, do a store run then solo back to swindon apparently.

DCPCFML:
I am guessing at item 3 on the list, but that’s been the case for Asda truck drivers since the dawn of time.

Saying you’ll be expected to load/unload your vehicle and anything else required is pretty generic and standard in a job advert for supermarket type work.

As anyone who has done it knows, it means you’ll be expected to push a few cages off at the store or in Asda’s case pump truck a pallet to the end of the trailer. It doesn’t mean you’ll literally be “working in the warehouse” picking orders and stacking cages/pallets ready for loading onto the trailer.

We all know Carryfast the clueless idiot will no doubt take it as fact that you will be expected to do “warehouse duties” or be a “site labourer” when you get to the store.

tmcassett:

DCPCFML:

Saying you’ll be expected to load/unload your vehicle and anything else required is pretty generic and standard in a job advert for supermarket type work.

As anyone who has done it knows, it means you’ll be expected to push a few cages off at the store or in Asda’s case pump truck a pallet to the end of the trailer. It doesn’t mean you’ll literally be “working in the warehouse” picking orders and stacking cages/pallets ready for loading onto the trailer.

We all know Carryfast the clueless idiot will no doubt take it as fact that you will be expected to do “warehouse duties” or be a “site labourer” when you get to the store.

Not even any pumping anymore, electric pallet trucks. When you do a 9hr shift and 3hrs of that is poa or break you dont mind shoving a few cages around for 45 mins :laughing:

Fuzrat:
Not even any pumping anymore, electric pallet trucks. When you do a 9hr shift and 3hrs of that is poa or break you dont mind shoving a few cages around for 45 mins :laughing:

Apologies if my info is out of date, it was back in 2014 when I did some agency work for them out of Magna Park. A real cushy number I might add.

Its the same where I currently work for a high street retailer, as drivers we are expected to “unload” at the store - this equates to back on loading bay, then either pushing cages/dollies straight into the warehouse if the loading dock/ramp is same height as trailer bed or as is the case at most stores onto a scissor lift that goes up and down to the trailer, as drivers our job ends at the end of the trailer as we just load the scissor lift up and store staff send it up and down/unload it and load up rubbish cages - no hardship and average about 8 hours a day doing it.

tmcassett:

Fuzrat:

Apologies if my info is out of date, it was back in 2014 when I did some agency work for them out of Magna Park. A real cushy number I might add.

Its the same where I currently work for a high street retailer, as drivers we are expected to “unload” at the store - this equates to back on loading bay, then either pushing cages/dollies straight into the warehouse if the loading dock/ramp is same height as trailer bed or as is the case at most stores onto a scissor lift that goes up and down to the trailer, as drivers our job ends at the end of the trailer as we just load the scissor lift up and store staff send it up and down/unload it and load up rubbish cages - no hardship and average about 8 hours a day doing it.

Yep pretty much same as mate, Cage stores are a pain, mostly scissors but a couple of tail lift, not many of them for us on ambient fortunately, rest are either warehouse bod unloads off a dock leveller with a ppt or we drive ppt to back for forklift. Easy life :sunglasses:

I do love the , push a few cages around , there was 70 cages of beer , pop , tins on a d/d , x 2 & that’s 140 cages , never mind the empty ones you pushed back on , then you may get another load , single with 40 odd cages on , but rarely got back , so that’s 180 cages
Not sure how you describe it as push a few cages around , may convince some but not me

dozy:
I do love the , push a few cages around , there was 70 cages of beer , pop , tins on a d/d , x 2 & that’s 140 cages , never mind the empty ones you pushed back on , then you may get another load , single with 40 odd cages on , but rarely got back , so that’s 180 cages
Not sure how you describe it as push a few cages around , may convince some but not me

Thats tosco/stobbies for ya, we have 3 tail lift cage stores (1 urban and 2 full single, 1 of them is a living store so all light stuff like duvets and toasters) and 4 single deck scissor lift cages out of our depot. We dont bring rubbish back either, just a few empty cages if chilled havent picked them all up. All the rest are all pallets. Either dock leveller or electric pump to the back and forks off. Depending on start time you will never push a cage, cage stores are the ones that have curfews. Start before 0500 or after 1500 and very lucky/unlucky to see a cage. Our deckers are never cages on ambient, all pallets.

tmcassett:

Carryfast:

And what point are you trying to highlight with that Asda job advert?

Which part of loading/unloading, truck washing, any ‘other work’ that needs carrying out did you miss/not understand.
The employers are obviously whingeing about a shortage of drivers… who want to do anything but drive.
It also probably explains the need for 15 hour shifts when the driving time limit is 9/10 hours max. :unamused:

tmcassett:

DCPCFML:

So if it’s just shifting a few cages and pallets why the need for loading/unloading and ‘any other work that needs carrying out’.
Also washing trucks listed in the ad.Why would they even need to put that when washing salt off the mirrors and windows with a power wash and might as well do the rest goes with territory.
Oh wait unless they mean that one driver will be designated to wash them all to ‘make up his hours’.So obviously lots of arguments about who gets the best runs to avoid doing the zb jobs.
Tell us why wouldn’t any manager worth his salt translate that exactly as I have.
Reduce warehouse staff replace them with drivers.
Been there done that and got the broken back resulting in one more driver gone to add to the ‘driver shortage’ to prove it. :unamused:

Fuzrat:

tmcassett:

DCPCFML:

Which part of, any other work that needs carrying out in addition to loading unloading, didn’t you understand.
Enjoy your POA…while it lasts.

dozy:

Look on the bright side at least it’s not hand balling an artic load on and off.
While ‘any other work that needs carrying out’ provides all the scope they need to replace warehouse staff with ‘drivers’ instead of paying drivers to sit around doing zb all on ‘POA’.
Let alone agencies looking for driver/labourers.
Ironically plenty of would be truck drivers choosing to drive cars instead know it.
The industry is degenerating into a sham that’s all about minimising the role of actually driving anything to use ‘drivers’ for ‘any other work that needs carrying out’ instead thereby saving fuel costs, depreciation costs and warehouse labour costs.

dozy:

Because it is. Cage work is hardly the most strenuous job in the world

dozy:

A full top deck of beer, tin and pop cages■■? no wonder they fall over. I don’t remember DDs going into Brackmills.

eagerbeaver:

That’s the old rate and also that’s for the first 6 months and between the hours of 06.00-14.00 .

On the subject of driver shortage we’ve been doing a lot of Freshlinc collections which we wouldn’t normally do, twice in the last week I’ve gone from Bristol to Spalding empty to pick up a load so it looks like Freshlinc must be struggling to get bums on seats.

bald bloke:

eagerbeaver:

That’s the old rate and also that’s for the first 6 months and between the hours of 06.00-14.00 .

On the subject of driver shortage we’ve been doing a lot of Freshlinc collections which we wouldn’t normally do, twice in the last week I’ve gone from Bristol to Spalding empty to pick up a load so it looks like Freshlinc must be struggling to get bums on seats.

Company must change rulles and accept new drivers,not experienced or drivers who have gap with driving truck…May be need extra driving assestment but at least speak to new.I been driving in UK For 6 years,2 years was away from UK.Call from one agency.They said ok ,we are accept EU licence.I said to lady i agree for driving assestment ,writing,verbal test or more.But after agency lady said -we can t accept you because you was not driving in UK for at least 3 month in last 1 years.Stupid rulles.

Andrejs:
lady said -we can t accept you because you was not driving in UK for at least 3 month in last 1 years.Stupid rulles.

Also more proof that there is no ‘driver shortage’.
There is a shortage of ‘drivers’ who want to do anything but driving.
Which goes with the territory of the parody that the UK road transport industry has become.