Driver Shortage confirmed

I am not sure if this is a new trend or there really is a driver shortage. I was in the Ports today and had to go and get my paperwork for the load that I had just picked up. Well you all know the score here, lots of trucks parked up and drivers all doing the same. As I was stood in the que for the window to the office, I was amazed at the state of most of them and the gormless looks most had. It honestly resembled a scene from “one flew over the cuckoo nest”. I actually felt quite embarrassed stood among them. I got to thinking who the hell would employ some of these people. Are we really in a driver shortage as these people looked completely insane.

I do love consistency, and you are consistently belittling your fellow drivers whilst either overtly or by inference, bigging up yourself.

To give a straight answer, I feel that there is the start of a shortage. I don’t think there has been one before now, but talking to a subbie and a newbie in the last month, one couldn’t get an agency driver and the latter couldn’t get taken on fast enough.

albion:
I do love consistency, and you are consistently belittling your fellow drivers whilst either overtly or by inference, bigging up yourself.

To give a straight answer, I feel that there is the start of a shortage. I don’t think there has been one before now, but talking to a subbie and a newbie in the last month, one couldn’t get an agency driver and the latter couldn’t get taken on fast enough.

I will limit my comment to the newbie view which is that when I passed a few months ago I got 3 offers very quickly with very little effort. I won’t say they are the best jobs in terms of either pay or hours but the one I have taken is respectable for the area. Given it always was that new pass was agency or lucky to get a start I do think times are changing

Never judge a book by it’s cover.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

albion:

Oh here we go again, I am not belittling my fellow drivers as I do not consider these types as in my category. Why would I, simply because they are drivers does not mean I would be associated with this type. I am also a respected refrigeration engineer and would happily belittle some of those too if they looked like the sights I witnessed today. Get real have you not ever stood in a crowded room and thought “look at the state of that” . Some people really like to make out they are mother Theresa don’t they. This is a serious post and not a look at me I am such a people person.

kcrussell25:

albion:

I will limit my comment to the newbie view which is that when I passed a few months ago I got 3 offers very quickly with very little effort. I won’t say they are the best jobs in terms of either pay or hours but the one I have taken is respectable for the area. Given it always was that new pass was agency or lucky to get a start I do think times are changing

Things are definitely heading that way around the North West. I am constantly mithered by people to work for them.

McDonalds and KFC are on the blower all the time :neutral_face:

eagerbeaver:

kcrussell25:

albion:

Things are definitely heading that way around the North West. I am constantly mithered by people to work for them.

McDonalds and KFC are on the blower all the time :neutral_face:

McDonald’s change their uniforms quite often so you wouldn’t need to leave to build up your collection. [emoji6]

UKtramp:

albion:

Oh here we go again, I am not belittling my fellow drivers as I do not consider these types as in my category. Why would I, simply because they are drivers does not mean I would be associated with this type. I am also a respected refrigeration engineer and would happily belittle some of those too if they looked like the sights I witnessed today. Get real have you not ever stood in a crowded room and thought “look at the state of that” . Some people really like to make out they are mother Theresa don’t they. This is a serious post and not a look at me I am such a people person.

I’be not slightly inferred any Mother Theresa qualities. Hadn’t realised you were a respected refrigeration engineer, you really should have mentioned it before.

Witter on as you will, I CBA with you.

cypry0:
Never judge a book by it’s cover.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Not sure about that to be honest. I think people generally do. They may be a fantastic driver and nice person when you get to know them. But seriously these were bad. I was taken back a bit as some worked for some quite respected companies. I think the tide is turning and hopefully better money may be around the corner, otherwise we will end up with the type I saw today more and more.

albion:

UKtramp:

albion:

I’be not slightly inferred any Mother Theresa qualities. Hadn’t realised you were a respected refrigeration engineer, you really should have mentioned it before.

Witter on as you will, I CBA with you.

You know it makes sense. I don’t like to talk about my refrigeration days. But you have heard correctly. :smiley:

Quickly some up this thread: UKtramp as usual better than everyone and if you disagree he’ll argue it out till the death. The end. Thanks.

I was talking to a respected refrigeration engineer at the weekend. He pulled up in his van, played a strange tune and then I bought a 99 from him.

Have you read the forum rules? There’s an interesting snippet from the below. You may wish to read them.

Baiting other members
Posting simply to get a rise out of another/other members will simply lead to the poster no longer being able to post without their posts being scrutinised first no warnings- it will just happen. any such posts will be removed
the arbitors of this will be the admin team.

emwmarine:
I was talking to a respected refrigeration engineer at the weekend. He pulled up in his van, played a strange tune and then I bought a 99 from him.

:laughing:

harrawaffa:
Quickly some up this thread: UKtramp as usual better than everyone and if you disagree he’ll argue it out till the death. The end. Thanks.

Its a debate, so debate have your say. It wasn’t an invitation to simply have a go at me. So now that is off your chest whats your thoughts?

Captain Caveman 76:
Have you read the forum rules? There’s an interesting snippet from the below. You may wish to read them.

Baiting other members
Posting simply to get a rise out of another/other members will simply lead to the poster no longer being able to post without their posts being scrutinised first no warnings- it will just happen. any such posts will be removed
the arbitors of this will be the admin team.

Do us a favour buddy and go away, this is a serious post. It is open for debate and no one is going to be offended as it doesn’t name anyone.

Im not much to look at, but it means ■■■■ all if my driving and reliability is upto scratch.

Its not like I have egg down a vest, crocs, a lithuanian under the trailer and a murdered prostitute in a layby on the A64.

UKtramp:

harrawaffa:

Its a debate, so debate have your say. It wasn’t an invitation to simply have a go at me. So now that is off your chest whats your thoughts?

Get on with your day mind your own business. The only people who worry about how other folk look are teenage girls.

Good i hope there is a genuine shortage, then those companies who have taken the ■■■■ out of their good people for years can feel the pain, and conversely those good people have a golden chance to get into better work, if the ■■■■ taking companies go down its no loss, sod 'em.

The down years have taken their toll, we have a majority of ageing drivers going to retire in the next 5/10 years, and a reasonable number of new faces, what is missing is the most productive years because when it was year after year of crap money and lots of bosses using the downturn to treat their staff little better than serfs, direct recruitment was at an all time low, didn’t matter to the bad employers they just got the Poles in who generally work their bloody socks off on agency, but the Poles ain’t being the poor cousins any more they want decent paying work too, it’s actually really funny when you look at it and they have no one to blame but themselves.
Had they treated good staff with respect, and not dumbed the job down to the level of the biggest idiot they could find prepared to work for minimum wage, they wouldn’t be struggling for drivers, good employers arn’t and they havent ever advertised for drivers.

All it needs now, and i’m sure it can’t be far away (that mini bus tragedy alone is going to run to £millions) is for the insurance companies to come away from blanket any employed driver cover and to insist on knowing who exactly are the people they are covering, and sooner or later insurance/accident records are going to be linked to vocational licences so insurers (even if the employer is an idiot) can see the records of the drivers their clients are proposing to employ.
That’s going to be a game changer.

Bring it on, they reap what they have sown.

By the way, some of the best most reliable lorry drivers i’ve known probably wouldn’t get mistaken for Sir Roger Moore in his heyday, conversely some of the worse buggers have rather a camp fetish about their appearance.

By the way, some of the best most reliable lorry drivers i’ve known probably wouldn’t get mistaken for Sir Roger Moore in his heyday, conversely some of the worse buggers have rather a camp fetish about their appearance.

This ∆