Driver fined for longest overtake

peterboroughtoday.co.uk/new … me-3633859

not alot of info however apparently the driver decided to enter the third lane to overtake lorries in lanes 1 and 2. Thing is if the described senario is true why didnt they move back into lane 2 once the middle lorry had moved back to lane one? If lane 2 wasnt clear was the middle lorry taking equaly long to overtake or just being an idiot to prove a point. Either way why wernt they spoken to

Clue is in the name of the road - A1(M). HGV not allowed in offside lane of a motorway.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Poor driving by all involved just back off a couple of kms all let them past and out of your way instead of you can’t pass me syndrome

It’s hard to say what was going on in lanes 1 and 2 but if the picture is anything to go by it looks like they were elephant racing to, I wouldn’t be surprised if the driver in lane 3 gets an invite to meet the TC.

According to the traffic cop “The driver assured me it’s a one off though" … so that’s alright then :smiley: :unamused:

Strange how the moan seems to be about a slow overtake which is a function of speed limits and limiters and affects all types of vehicles.Its also possible for the same situation to arise with cars like 68 mph in lane 2 v 70 mph in lane 3.
Surely in this case it should be all about a prescribed type being driven illegally in lane 3.
As opposed to our stupid speed enforcement regime creating long overtakes.As usual the law creates the problem then blames drivers for it in that regard.

i dont know the area but looking at the overhead gantry is it possible that lane 1 was going off to the left, and lanes 2+3 were going straight on ?, so vehicles in lane 1 would not move over if they were going straight on , truck should still not been in outside lane though.

I set my cruise to 52mph. That wasy people can pass me, I rarely get involved in overtaking and I can watch the world go by in my own stress free bubble.

Cba to watch the video (if there is one) but you see it every day.
If he was in lane 3 he’s obviously got stress issues and is a plank, it ain’t the 80s anymore you’ can’t do that sort of stuff anymore , too many official cameras, and too many weasly wannabe coppers filming you and grasping you up. (At least one actually on here in fact)

To sum it up without seeing it…
A stress head with no time to stop even for a ■■■■, overtaking one (or two) self righteous knob heads saying ‘‘I aint giving way,.I’m in the right I am’’ :unamused:
Consequently all 3 of them causing a complete cluster ■■■■ on the road and making us ALL.(even more) unpopular.

If some ■■■■ can’t judge his speed and pulls alongside me, if I don’t be the better driver and back off for him it makes me a bigger ■■■■ than he is.

In a nutshell…I thank you. :sunglasses:
:smiley:

robroy:
Cba to watch the video (if there is one) but you see it every day.
If he was in lane 3 he’s obviously got stress issues and is a plank,

Plenty of those on the M6 chasing to and from the ferry at Cairnryan and on pretty much all motorways heading to the hub on pallet network night trunks. And you don’t even need to be elephant racing, you just need a limiter lower than theirs, assuming they still have one that works. You can be steaming past a 50MPH Maritime plobber and they’ll still come steaming past you in the outside lane because they can’t slow down a couple of MPH for even the 30 seconds it takes you to pass and move over.

Couldn’t care less, it’s them taking money out of their own pocket and who’ll be having the heart attack first. At least there’s one thing, they’re paying more attention to the road than those watching Tiktok, Youtube or Netflix on their phones and tablets weaving down the motorway.

gingo:
i dont know the area but looking at the overhead gantry is it possible that lane 1 was going off to the left, and lanes 2+3 were going straight on ?,

It doesn’t. The only place that happens is in the four lane section heading south towards Alconbury and north at J15.

I regularly do night trunking runs from Manchester to Birmingham, but occasionally go to Glasgow instead. Every time I do the Glasgow run, leaving at about 11pm, I see at least one lorry overtake in lane three, sometimes there’s even been a few do it.
Always the same types, blinged up lorries with a million lights running at 60mph and can’t slow down for a second. Always fun to keep an eye out for them when coming up to roadworks when they have to sit behind me at 50mph

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Sometimes if your new to the area, motorway it will happen.

M6 splits up I’m overtaking slow moving traffic cars too which is legal I’m on the off side lane now the motorway opens up and I’m in a dilemma I’m on the 3rd lane I can’t move back into middle lane as I would be breaching their 2second rule so you just drive in the 3rd lane till its a safe gap

Some driver are in rush all tha time.

Roymondo:
Clue is in the name of the road - A1(M). HGV not allowed in offside lane of a motorway.

Can use lane 3 if it’s got 4 or more. Police never said it was outer most lane.

Why didn’t they just say that [emoji849]

stu675:

Roymondo:

Can use lane 3 if it’s got 4 or more. Police never said it was outer most lane.

Why didn’t they just say that [emoji849]

Because they posted a photo showing - only three lanes…

Roymondo:

Whats an HGV? and apart from the Emerald Isle or Peat Bog it is normally drivers from the East who use all open lanes.

Conor:

gingo:
i dont know the area but looking at the overhead gantry is it possible that lane 1 was going off to the left, and lanes 2+3 were going straight on ?,

It doesn’t. The only place that happens is in the four lane section heading south towards Alconbury and north at J15.

Either way, the line markings on the road are the give away, all the markings are of equal length, if the near side lane was close the the junction and lane one going up the slip the lines would be shorter and closer together, it is still a three lane section.

gingo:
i dont know the area but looking at the overhead gantry is it possible that lane 1 was going off to the left, and lanes 2+3 were going straight on ?, so vehicles in lane 1 would not move over if they were going straight on , truck should still not been in outside lane though.

In the situation you describe you can use the outside lane if lane 1 is clearly marked as a dedicated left to another road

Uncleskid:
Poor driving by all involved just back off a couple of kms all let them past and out of your way instead of you can’t pass me syndrome

Why should you back off to let some clown in, when he has chosen to perform an illegal manoeuvre in the first place and put himself out there.

robthedog:

Uncleskid:

Why should you back off to let some clown in, when he has chosen to perform an illegal manoeuvre in the first place and put himself out there.

Because you’re a professional driver and are happy to make small allowances for others’ shortcomings in order to keep things flowing smoothly?