Overtaking

Hi all,

Just been having a chat to a fellow worker (not in the industry) who thinks that all trucks should should stay in the left hand lane on motorways and not overtake.

What is your opinion on this?

Lets discuss.

Andy

If the situation, requires a no over-takeing
ban for lorrys , then they (goverment) should
take a trip across to the european countrys
which have such bans in place, some permenently
while others are for a fixed time limit ie;
On parts of their motorways,but no complete
ban on all of its motorways,
when the flow of traffic is at it,s denses point
this being normaly in to early mornings and late
nights when people are either going or comeing
from work, such bans do help,BUT a complete
BAN on all the stretches of the motorway at
ALL TIMES is plain stupidity, and not ecofriendly
as the transport would take longer cost more
WHICH then means Higher costs for JOE PUBLIC;;

Good idea - we will all use the left hand lane nose to tail and see who complains when they can’t join the motorway or better still get off at the exit they want by cutting over the chevrons and grass verges to do so at the very last second - bl@@dy car drivers. :imp:

Why don’t these people understand that the whole point of these roads is for trade. For trucks, vans, reps and business people. Going on your hols or to see your mate was never the primary purpose of building motorways :slight_smile:

next they will want us in the right hand lane so they can join and exit the motorway when they please lol.

imagine being stuck behind JD if there was a ban

Boss: where are you?

You: Stuck behind a truck doing 48

Boss: "£$%^@ overtake it

You: Cant government said we aint allowed to overtake

Boss: $$W$(£&&£&£^“!”*!&!(!(!

He’s not on this planet ? :smiling_imp:

We are the ones who are restricted in hours and rarely do unnecessary journeys and of course have places to go and things to do.

Everyone is in a hurry to get somewhere that is the main problem. They only want HGV’s in the left hand lane so they can get to where they want to go quicker. What is the point?
You get stuck behind a few lorrys on the way to work and it takes you 5 mins longer, best solution is to leave 5 mins earlier.
restricting lorry’s to the left hand lane will cause more problems than it fixes.
All lorry’s will be in one lane going only as fast as the slowest lorry so their will be no gaps for cars to get on or off, the cars will then cut the lorry’s up even more than they do now causing more crashes.

I don’t even think that journey time is much of an issue, blown slightly out of proportion springs to mind. I’ve been stuck at 56 behind lorrys doing overtakes on two lane stretches whilst I was driving cars or vans. During these peak periods, it’s not often that the average speed is much higher than 60 even without lorrys, and that once the lorry has eventually done it’s overtake, it only takes about a minute or two to catch up the rest of the traffic you were seperated from when that lorry pulled out…

As previously said, roads were built for transportation of goods and trade, not so that Mr. City Worker can drive 40 miles to the smoke in the morning, and then back home again to his leafy pad in rural Surrey in the evening every day of the week. Yes, of course they’re entitled to use the roads, but they must put up with the fact that if they’re going to live so far from work commercial vehicles are not going to pull over for them. And yes, it’s not just rich city workers who believe they’re affected by the amount of trucks but working class folk too, so surely the problem here is the fact that people can’t work close enough to where they live/live close enough to where they work thus having to travel miles on the motorway every day? 50 years ago, this didn’t happen, mostly because there were no motorways! So motorways have created their own problems I guess…

I think I need to lie down! :neutral_face:

Overtaking is not a problem in itself, the problems start when your just about finished your overtake and the inside Lorry / Car driver due to downhill momentum speeds up and starts the overtaking process all over again. Yes it does P… off car drivers & even more it gets’s me P… off. To think we call ourselves professional drivers, well some of us ought to think about that when due to accelerating against the overtaking vehicle there’s a queue five miles long behind them. Maybe if the drivers that undertake during an overtake let off the gas a little our roads would run a little bit smoother and car drivers wouldn’t be held up for so long. Ring any Bells? :smiling_imp:

Re Mantoris…Hear Hear!! :smiley: :smiley:

Mantoris:
Overtaking is not a problem in itself, the problems start when your just about finished your overtake and the inside Lorry / Car driver due to downhill momentum speeds up and starts the overtaking process all over again. Maybe if the drivers that undertake during an overtake let off the gas a little our roads would run a little bit smoother and car drivers wouldn’t be held up for so long. Ring any Bells? :smiling_imp:

It’ll never happen

Don’t get me started :imp:

See my post re tescos driver on a mission :smiling_imp:

We’re not allowed in the outside lane yet cars and vans are allowed in all lanes, even then the outside lane is the most congested lane and that’s with no lorries. Commiting us to the inside lane would only congest the inside lane further. There are 30 million cars and 1 million trucks on the UK’s roads, herein lies the problem. To me a solution to congestion would be to limit everyone to the same speed. If safety is the issue for the reason that larger vehicles have speed limiters then why does that not apply to cars ? Surely limiting them to 70mph would be safer and it would definately help with congestion.

Geezah:
Hi all,

Just been having a chat to a fellow worker (not in the industry) who thinks that all trucks should should stay in the left hand lane on motorways and not overtake.

Lets discuss.

Andy

Put your ‘not in the industry’ mate behind the wheel of a lorry for one trip up the motorway and he would soon realise he was talking out of his ■■■.

chooch:
Why don’t these people understand that the whole point of these roads is for trade. For trucks, vans, reps and business people. Going on your hols or to see your mate was never the primary purpose of building motorways :slight_smile:

I seem to remember 40 years ago or more,some politician,was it Harold Wilson?,said that motorways would be a boon to the country by getting heavy vehicles off the main roads to leave them clear for the cars!
What went wrong■■?

bestbooties:

chooch:

I seem to remember 40 years ago or more,some politician,was it Harold Wilson?,said that motorways would be a boon to the country by getting heavy vehicles off the main roads to leave them clear for the cars!
What went wrong■■?

IIRC it was Ernest Marples at the opening of the Preston by-pass the first motorway.
So get them cars off our roads :unamused: :unamused:
Gavin

Gavin McArdle:

bestbooties:

chooch:

What went wrong■■?

IIRC it was Ernest Marples at the opening of the Preston by-pass the first motorway.
Gavin

I thought I was old but how old are you two :question: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Better lane discipline might help as well. How many times have we pulled into lane 2 to overtake a car only for them to speed up when they realise they are about to be overtaken by a lorry? 5 miles further on we do it again!!

In my opinion if I overtake ANY car under normal driving conditions that car and/or driver should not be on the road :imp:

chooch:

Gavin McArdle:

bestbooties:

chooch:

What went wrong■■?

Gavin

I thought I was old but how old are you two :question: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Old enough to know better! Doesn’t make any difference though :unamused: :unamused:
Gavin

Geezah:
Hi all,

Lets discuss.

Andy

How long do people think it will take before that M11 ‘no HGV overtaking’ trial starts…. :imp: :imp: It’s a ruddy motorway FFS…now that letter has been fired off, I give it a year if that :exclamation: :confused: :open_mouth: :imp: :imp: .

I know its an extreme suggestion, but I think the best thing to do is for EVERY lorry to stop driving for a fixed week, maybe even two. All the lorry drivers would watch the country grind to a halt. I think this would be the only way to make the country realise how important lorries are to our way of life, and that all these stupid rules only make things worse, instead of just letting us get the job done!