Drive assesment

hi all i passed my class 1 2 wks ago after 5 years on the rigids ,had a interview last week ,got a call today passed the interview can i go in tom(wed) for a drive assesment ,now im quite confident on the road stuff but i am expecting they will want me to back on a bay ,what goes on at the assesment and has anyone got any good advice for a newbie regarding the assesment ,any help will be appreciated,.ps its with wincanton

deanobeano:
hi all i passed my class 1 2 wks ago after 5 years on the rigids ,had a interview last week ,got a call today passed the interview can i go in tom(wed) for a drive assesment ,now im quite confident on the road stuff but i am expecting they will want me to back on a bay ,what goes on at the assesment and has anyone got any good advice for a newbie regarding the assesment ,any help will be appreciated,.ps its with wincanton

They’ll tell you that you’re not on your driving test and just to relax and drive.

Don’t, still drive similar to your test, blind spot checks, 2 hands on wheel etc.

The last 1 I had kept asking me what the last sign I passed was… No bloody idea, unless it effects me, then I don’t give a ■■■■ what it says, and if it does effect me, then I’ve usually just taken it on board and responded on auto-pilot, so I couldn’t answer once, even though he asked me a good 4 or 5 times around the drive - you’d think I’d be looking out for them by then??

If they ask you to do a blind side into a bay, 1 of the silly things they expect you to do is get out and check if there’s anything/anyone behind you… Yes, I know, you automatically check as you’re pulling up, and you have your mirrors and would notice someone walking behind you - easier than someone walking down the opposite side whilst you’re strolling back to your cab…

Observe all limits, know your trailer height before you set off and make sure the cab height indicator is set right.

I’m sure somoene will add to this list, but well done on getting an assessment with Wincanton with under 2yrs on your licence.

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome deanobeano :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

deanobeano:
hi all i passed my class 1 2 wks ago

JOB HUNTING :question: - A read of THIS POST may be useful - also CV & Interview tips

First year experience as a newbie after passing CE (with pics)

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

i have a drive assesment with wincanton myself on thursday ,even though ive had my class 1 a few years , i`ll still be nervious as hell… due to me not driving a LGV for 18 mths !!!

whats the norm then b4 your out on the road reverse and a trailer change

deanobeano:
whats the norm then b4 your out on the road reverse and a trailer change

Nah, you’ll usually do the road bit 1st

Better to get used to the vehicle going forwards, before you have to reverse.

They don’t normally make you do a trailer swap.

Good Luck, relax and take it one step at a time. I just did an assessment at Waitrose, vehicle checks, drive no problem. Then he tells me to reverse the trailer into a space that requires a crow bar to get in. Number of shunts and when it was straight there couldn’t have been more than a foot of a gap between the trailers. Aparently you’re supposed to get in there with only a small(?) number of shunts, got to go back and try again in a few months time.

Paul-H:
Good Luck, relax and take it one step at a time. I just did an assessment at Waitrose, vehicle checks, drive no problem. Then he tells me to reverse the trailer into a space that requires a crow bar to get in. Number of shunts and when it was straight there couldn’t have been more than a foot of a gap between the trailers. Aparently you’re supposed to get in there with only a small(?) number of shunts, got to go back and try again in a few months time.

Your assessor must have been a ■■■■■ The advice I keep getting at JL is to take your time and do as many shunts as you need to get into the bay as a lot of them are tight. And as far as I am concerned, if you don’t break it and you get it in the hole, then you’ve passed. Speed will come with experience.