Any Advise helpful

Hey Guys.

Been away from this site for a while… Been a busy bee, working in my crappy job then looking for HGV work every second I can spare. Well today I had a call off Wincanton and they want me for an assessment + Interview on Monday.

Just wondered if any of you had an an assessment with Wincanton and has some advise for a newbie, bit nervous to be honest as its been a while since my test (hope I can still drive :laughing: ).

Also what should I wear for the interview? I am imagining it would be too much to wear a suit as they asked me to wear safety shoes. But do I wear a shirt and trousers? Or is that too much too?

Thanks

Gareth

Presentable clean working kit would be my choice, and take some gloves and a hi viz.

Depending on the site and the trainers attitude to you as well as his job the rest varies.

Chances are you will have a written test of some sort, involving your knowledge of drivers hours and a few signs, doubtless be a few you don’t know (and of little use anyway), these are designed to make you look a berk and the trainer the font of all knowledge…so do a brush up on drivers hours, especially WTD and times for handing charts etc in.

The vehicle checkover is where most fail, they will want to tick every soddin box in the book, from checking the VED is valid and has the correct registration number to checking the in cab height label corresponds with the trailer height, and the service label is valid.

Driving test is pretty standard, they will want you to perform a reverse of some sort but it won’t be a nasty blind sider into a dark corner, and may want you to connect and reconnect a trailer, don’t forget trailer handbrake whatever you do.

Actually look at the 5th wheel for gaps and nip round to see if the jaws are locked (to be certain the 5th wheel isn’t sitting on top of the jaws), tell him why you are doing this, doing so might well earn you a decent brownie point or two to counteract a minus or two elsewhere.

On the road always maintain decent legal progress and most importantly leave space behind other vehicles in traffic, the trainer wants to see the rear wheels of the car in front when you stop behind one, and always halt at a Stop sign…

Best of luck.

Thanks that was very helpful, will take it on board :smiley: