Double Manning - Feet on Dash

Whats more important, you being able to look at your wide view mirror at night, or your mate having a beauty nap?

robroy:
Ffs man, just ask him politely to get his [zb] feet down. :unamused: why make a drama out of it.?

As for the guy travelling with the dirty [zb] with BO and a rancid arse, :open_mouth: why did you even pull out of the yard with him minging like that?..let alone have a night out in the same cab. :open_mouth:
And then for him to attack you :open_mouth: …totally out of order.
If he was a big fat obese [zb], he’d also be slow, a swift knee in the knackers and he’d have gone down like a bag of s***e . :bulb:

Is it just me or what?? :unamused:
[/quote

Good question Robroy. I drove with him because I was a new driver. I was learning a heck of a lot from these experienced drivers. I was being paid in cash from Denmark [not traceable]
probably equivalent to £700 a week now [ I saved £10,000 in 4 years]. I liked the well equipped Danish lorries. I got to drive all sorts of top of the range units eg F16s & a Merc unit I once was asked to drive that at the time was the most powerful one available. It had a lever that if you pulled it injected neat fuel [probably not true] I was told boosted the power to like 800 hp or something. The other Danish driver was completely the opposite - like ocd clean to the extent he used to take the light lens covers off & clean the actual light lenses. I was 24 yrs old & living the dream. Quite a few english drivers were also doing the same - from around the Burton on Trent area I recall.

Lucy:
Been there, appreciate the awkwardness, but you really can’t just put up with it. “Do us a favour mate, shift your feet - you’re blocking the mirror from where I am, and I need all the help I can get!” should do it.

Lucy - that’s all well & good in theory but you don’t know what reaction you’re going to get [see above].

So what’s the worst that could happen? You get told to f$&* off?

Sorry, but while I appreciate the nervousness, I don’t see it as a reason not to take a deep breath and deal with the situation. When I was double-manning I was a 23 year old female with very little experience, but I still managed to bite the bullet.

robroy:

No, You are not alone.

I did double manning once and the ■■■■ didn’t know tacho rules and messed up mine when it was in slot 2!!

Never done it again and never will!!

Lucy:

Sorry, but while I appreciate the nervousness, I don’t see it as a reason not to take a deep breath and deal with the situation. When I was double-manning I was a 23 year old female with very little experience, but I still managed to bite the bullet.

With the greatest respect you’ve got ■■■■■… It makes a difference.

Muntjac Hater:

robroy:
Ffs man, just ask him politely to get his [zb] feet down. :unamused: why make a drama out of it.?

As for the guy travelling with the dirty [zb] with BO and a rancid arse, :open_mouth: why did you even pull out of the yard with him minging like that?..let alone have a night out in the same cab. :open_mouth:
If he was a big fat obese [zb], he’d also be slow, a swift knee in the knackers and he’d have gone down like a bag of s***e . :bulb:

[/quote

Good question Robroy. I drove with him because I was a new driver. I was learning a heck of a lot from these experienced drivers. I was being paid in cash from Denmark [not traceable]
probably equivalent to £700 a week now [ I saved £10,000 in 4 years]. I liked the well equipped Danish lorries. I got to drive all sorts of top of the range units eg F16s & a Merc unit I once was asked to drive that at the time was the most powerful one available. It had a lever that if you pulled it injected neat fuel [probably not true] I was told boosted the power to like 800 hp or something. The other Danish driver was completely the opposite - like ocd clean to the extent he used to take the light lens covers off & clean the actual light lenses. I was 24 yrs old & living the dream. Quite a few english drivers were also doing the same - from around the Burton on Trent area I recall.

I couldn’t give a flying ■■■■ if it was an Aston Martin on 5k a week from Dubai mate,.I would still not even consider puttin up with crap like that from a dirty horrible ■■■■ with no social skills and a rotting arse …end of.

robroy:

Muntjac Hater:

robroy:

[/quote

I couldn’t give a flying [zb] if it was an Aston Martin on 5k a week from Dubai mate,.I would still not even consider puttin up with crap like that from a dirty horrible [zb] with no social skills and a rotting arse …end of.

Well good for you

Muntjac Hater:

Lucy:

Fair, but I would hope the OP had some balls as well…?

Lucy:

Muntjac Hater:

Lucy:

Good sport you. I think he’s done the right thing asking for advice & I think we’ve all done our bit offering our take. Now he needs to make his own decisions.

Lucy:

Muntjac Hater:

Lucy:

Perfect response :laughing:

Driver101:
Hello,

I’m a relatively new driver doing double manning/night trunking.

My experienced colleague likes to sleep with his feet up on the dash whilst I’m driving.

His legs block the lower down wide angle mirror which is kind of more useful at night because marker lights are more visible in that one and there is a white light on the back that shines on the road. Also the left corner of the windscreen is a bit obscured which kind of makes it harder to judge how far things are from left corner when do manoeuvres, I know there is a mirror up there but I feel like it reduces visibility too much. This manoeuvres are already challenging for me.

Do many drivers do this on long trips? Should I say something or try to get used to it? Though he probably won’t like it.

Bit worried about alienating myself as he is helping me learn the job.

Keep us posted as to the outcome yes??

Can you let us know what happens please? Fisticuffs, tears or a simple “no problem mate”

What would people do if they were in my boat? Do many people do this when they are not driving?

Thanks.

Muntjac Hater:

robroy:

Muntjac Hater:

robroy:

[/quote

I couldn’t give a flying [zb] if it was an Aston Martin on 5k a week from Dubai mate,.I would still not even consider puttin up with crap like that from a dirty horrible [zb] with no social skills and a rotting arse …end of.

Well good for you

Cheers.

Muntjac Hater:
Good sport you. I think he’s done the right thing asking for advice & I think we’ve all done our bit offering our take. Now he needs to make his own decisions.

Why do you hate muntjacs? I hate them too, I used to think they look cute in their little hunched stance nibbling away without a care in the world, I often drive a foot away from their heads and they won’t even notice me and still keep on grazing. Life was beautiful and peaceful for them and for me. In fact I must confess I was ignorant about what those things were, I thought they were some kind of small wild piglet as they’re so short-legged and have something like a snout - I only ever seen them at night. Then one night one of them ran in from the central barrier towards the edge of the road and promptly exploded under my truck. I cursed it for its stupidity (I had 0 time to react in a safe manner) and then looked up what animal it actually is. That’s how I found all about the muntjac deer and that’s they are in fact classified as invasive species so I didn’t feel bad about painting the road with it and now if one runs on the road I keep steady hoping to run it over. So far I’ve only whacked the one that really whacked itself.

ETS:

Muntjac Hater:

Why do you hate muntjacs? I hate them too, I used to think they look cute in their little hunched stance nibbling away without a care in the world, I often drive a foot away from their heads and they won’t even notice me and still keep on grazing. Life was beautiful and peaceful for them and for me. In fact I must confess I was ignorant about what those things were, I thought they were some kind of small wild piglet as they’re so short-legged and have something like a snout - I only ever seen them at night. Then one night one of them ran in from the central barrier towards the edge of the road and promptly exploded under my truck. I cursed it for its stupidity (I had 0 time to react in a safe manner) and then looked up what animal it actually is. That’s how I found all about the muntjac deer and that’s they are in fact classified as invasive species so I didn’t feel bad about painting the road with it and now if one runs on the road I keep steady hoping to run it over. So far I’ve only whacked the one that really whacked itself.

I take the point about invasive species, but wildlife can seriously damage vehicles.
Apart from plastic trim and headlights etc, they can do unseen damage as they pass underneath vehicles. Ive had coolant hoses and brake pipes ripped off by critters. Dont do an emergency stop or sudden swerve, but do try to avoid them.

I once flattened an invasive species, new I phone and shiny Kappa gear. I had to cross three fields and a flooded water course but I got him in the end.

Thanks for all the input.

So I said something, we argued, he put his feet down in the end.

This whole situation has prompted me to do a bit of research into mirrors and observation. I was thinking of getting one of those mirrors/blind spot diagrams and marking up where the extra blind spots would be with his feet up there on the dash so I could show it to him and maybe we could put one up in the office next to the one they have there! lol

Anyway now I can see how ridiculous it is to be driving on the motorway without being able to see in the wide angle mirror. I think this whole saga has helped me appreciate my peripheral vision more so as well.

So there was actually something to be learned there.

Anyway I’ve woken up now and actually I feel like I was an idiot to even drive one mile like that, let alone considering putting up with it.

I’ve decided that if he keeps arguing I’ll talk to the agency and maybe even walk away from this assignment.

I’m sure the agency could find me something else if needs be.

Is the other driver also agency ?

Sent from my mobile via Tapatalk.

tachograph:
Is the other driver also agency ?

Sent from my mobile via Tapatalk.

No.