why?

First off its not me having a go at anyone just a question to something ive noticed.

I know its been covered many times about flashing in but just wondered if its something I’m not educated on

A lot of drivers don’t bother doing this but ive noticed 3 main types. Tankers, Tippers, Car transporters not all don’t get me wrong but the ones mentioned stand out more as either not flashing in or not thanking when flashed in. As I said its not a go at anyone as Ive not driven Tankers, Tippers or transporters so don’t know enough to judge in that sector just a genuine question.
Are any of the above advised not to flash in etc

Better class of driver at night then as most do. Well if they look up from the film they are watching on their ipad!

YAWNING :unamused:

tango boy:
YAWNING :unamused:

■■

I drove tippers car transporters and currently tankers and there’s thousands of lorries i’ve never flashed in, the increasing number of planks who have pulled back in long before i would have flashed them.
I don’t flash people in until they’re at a distance i feel happy about, no point in flashing the sods if they’ve been back in front for 10/20 seconds, and that’s with me knocking power off or sometimes actually having to brake to create a safe distance.

Agreed at night you don’t get the cut ins to the same degree.

Juddian:
I drove tippers car transporters and currently tankers and there’s thousands of lorries i’ve never flashed in, the increasing number of planks who have pulled back in long before i would have flashed them.
I don’t flash people in until they’re at a distance i feel happy about, no point in flashing the sods if they’ve been back in front for 10/20 seconds, and that’s with me knocking power off or sometimes actually having to brake to create a safe distance.

+1…To that

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Juddian:

I agree with you there,
I just noticed a lot of tankers, tippers and car transporters don’t flash in or thank and wondered if its something they are told not to do for some reason.

Juddian:

This should be the stock answer to this recurring theme. Pay me later J for bigging you up.

Its been a while since ive been on here and I know the subject of flashing in has been covered and why drivers don’t do it etc
I didn’t want that same old debate. just wondered if it was something I didn’t know about the above sectors

Do many drivers still flash in before the minimum 2 second gap has been reached :question:

I always flashed at the 2 second gap - probably less than a dozen times in my driving career because they always started to pull in before it had been reached causing me to ease off and/or brake to maintain safety

usersteve:

Juddian:

I agree with you there,
I just noticed a lot of tankers, tippers and car transporters don’t flash in or thank and wondered if its something they are told not to do for some reason.

Yep… When i had my interview at this gig i got told’ do not flash anyone in, at any cost… :unamused:

Janos:

Juddian:

This should be the stock answer to this recurring theme. Pay me later J for bigging you up.

Paypal gift ok or cash? :laughing:

ROG:
Do many drivers still flash in before the minimum 2 second gap has been reached :question:

I always flashed at the 2 second gap - probably less than a dozen times in my driving career because they always started to pull in before it had been reached causing me to ease off and/or brake to maintain safety

2 second rule for cars.
4 seconds for hgv

Hank Hill:

ROG:

2 second rule for cars.
4 seconds for hgv

Depends on which one you’re sitting in at the time!

If you’re behind another lorry, 2secs will be okay as your minimum. If you’re in a lorry, behind a car, 4secs makes sense but if they pull a proper emergency stop you’re still likely going to hit them. Same goes for Mr/Mr Average in a 10 year old Mondeo following a shiny new Porsche or the like.

2-ish seconds minimum is a good basic guide, but what you’re really doing is giving yourself enough room to look down the road past them and react to the same thing that they’re going to. The 2secs rule annoys me because of its focus on just the vehicle in front. Though I will admit that it’s a good guide when it’s explained as a guide not a rule!

Two second rule is sensible, but how many simply start to move in before you have flashed them whilst waiting for a safe gap. I find more and more are simply pulling in and making me ease off which is quite annoying.

I’m a fuel tanker driver and when I was training I was told to always maintain a four second gap to maintain vision ahead and ensure the safety of the load. Four seconds is quite a distance and a lot of Hgv drivers seem to think that they should be flashed in as soon as they’ve passed me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dunno about the trucking world but I reckon in general drivers of all vehicles are less courteous. In the years I’ve been driving I see less and less headlight flashes, dabs of the hazards to say thanks or hand gestures.

Though I spose this pleases DVSA since its all actually wrong to do apparently.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I can live without the flashes in or the acknowledgement when I’ve flashed them in but what’s currently ■■■■■■■ me right off is when you see a lorry coming down a slip road to enter a carriageway and you get yourself out to lane two so that you don’t impede their progress and the ignorant ■■■■ doesn’t even give a wave of thanks as you pass him :imp:

Makes me wish I could rewind time 30 seconds, let’s see who’d be laughing then.

Not so much of being flashed in by anybody, if they do they do, if they don’t, they don’t… I’ll pull in when I’m a nice, safe distance ahead and weather dependant…if it’s lashing down I’ll stay out a bit longer, even if flashed (l/r/r/l/l on the old indicator for acknowledgement) so as not to cover the following vehicle in a ■■■■ load of spray reducing visibility even further… ain’t fussed either way but what I’ve noticed on nights is the increasing number of car drivers that feel they have to give multiple flashes from 100yds when overtaking me…especially those with the new, fancy LED headlamps like their in some bloody pace or safety car…WTF is that all about??

As a car transport driver I will wait until the truck is at least 4 seconds in front of my cab due to the overhanging car on my roof. Too many drivers forget the overhang and try pulling straight back in front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk